Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Feb 4, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #3,121 of 4,804
Oh well here we go again, now I gotta flip my black Final E's - my wife is going to question my sanity once again while I tinker with those poor tips

Feb 4, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #3,122 of 4,804
I know this is a weird comparison, but does anyone have a clear winner when comparing the IE 900 and Hifiman Arya Stealth version? Yes, they're both very different, but I want to know what's the better bang for the buck. I have no preference in terms of open-back or in-ears. I already have a SE180 DAP to power these things.

Feb 4, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #3,123 of 4,804
I know this is a weird comparison, but does anyone have a clear winner when comparing the IE 900 and Hifiman Arya Stealth version? Yes, they're both very different, but I want to know what's the better bang for the buck. I have no preference in terms of open-back or in-ears. I already have a SE180 DAP to power these things.
It's very hard to pick, as they both are exceptional. I recently sold my Arya Stealth but plan on repurchasing soon it's so good. I'm much more heavily invested into headphones than iem's too, and generally think they offer better value for the money.

Arya SE - More neutral, more detailed, expansive and better in the midrange significantly

IE900 - More in line with Harman/ slight V-shape, timbre is a bit more metallic, bass punch and detail is better here (this is the main area where they beat out Arya), more macro-dynamic contrast slightly.

The best way to see it is Arya is a great reference neutral headphone with a splash of fun and excels at most genres but definitely is a bit more polite with modern/ bass heavy genres (it's absolutely no slouch). IE900 is guilty pleasure fun done very tastefully, it will play well with anything, but it may sound a bit thin in vocals, and sometimes have a metallic sheen to its sound detectable especially with poorer recordings. I love the IE900 with electronic music, or anything that packs a wallop.

One thing is for sure, IE900 is more versatile due to the size factor - it's kind of incredible to have this sound anywhere you go

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 4, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #3,124 of 4,804
It's very hard to pick, as they both are exceptional. I recently sold my Arya Stealth but plan on repurchasing soon it's so good. I'm much more heavily invested into headphones than iem's too, and generally think they offer better value for the money.

Arya SE - More neutral, more detailed, expansive and better in the midrange significantly

IE900 - More in line with Harman/ slight V-shape, timbre is a bit more metallic, bass punch and detail is better here (this is the main area where they beat out Arya), more macro-dynamic contrast slightly.

The best way to see it is Arya is a great reference neutral headphone with a splash of fun and excels at most genres but definitely is a bit more polite with modern/ bass heavy genres (it's absolutely no slouch). IE900 is guilty pleasure fun done very tastefully, it will play well with anything, but it may sound a bit thin in vocals, and sometimes have a metallic sheen to its sound detectable especially with poorer recordings. I love the IE900 with electronic music, or anything that packs a wallop.

One thing is for sure, IE900 is more versatile due to the size factor - it's kind of incredible to have this sound anywhere you go
That's just what I needed right now. Thank you man. Will make a choice tomorrow and I'm sure I won't be disappointed with any one of the two I pick. Although like you said the size factor is a huge plus point for the IE900. I demoed the IERZ1R for this exact reason but they're too big for my ears. Hoping the 900 will be just right

Feb 4, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #3,125 of 4,804
Almost the same here. #4xxx from Nov 2021, made in Germany. Still on burn-in, which takes loooong since I want both the 3.5 and 4.4 mm cables treated as well.

Regarding eartips, I am in the majority of users for whom the stock tips are somewhere between bad and trash, both the silicones and the foams. (Hate foamies anyway.) My first remedy was to simply use my Beyerdynamic Xelento silicone tips (those oval helmets) - they work more or less, already much better than the stock silicones. Next I got the Final Type E tips - a huge step forward, as judged by the first short listening session yesterday. FWIW, maybe someone gets a hint from this.

Can‘t wait to listen properly, maybe after this weekend.

I am eager to hear recommendations on how to buy eartips, e.g. the oft-mentioned Acoustune AET07. Germany, Big-A‘s are absolutely not my cup of tea, and I‘m afraid of logistics/customs hassles (had too much of these) … Thanks.
I recently got my hands on Azla Sednaearfit Crystal Standard ones. I find they are a step above the AET07 and flipped Final E Black tips. IMO, these are the only tips that I found to be better than the stock ones overall in sound, seal and comfort. The Crystal excels in all areas and it is my first choice for the IE900 now.

However, I find the eartips to sound and seal the best at position 1. To achieve that I placed a 1.5mm spacer mod in the nozzle so the eartips retain at position 1 regardless of how I push the IE900 in the ears.

Just sharing my tiprolling adventures as I have tested and gone through dozens of them. Hope it will make your IE900 shine even better! Cheers :beerchug:

Feb 5, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #3,127 of 4,804
Could someone please explain the Final Type E Black flipping game? Thanks.
Put a narrow screw or preferably nail with head wider than the stem of the tip and pull it. It will flip the tip inside out, so the Inner part of the head becomes the outer side. The stem will also be turned inside out.

Feb 5, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #3,128 of 4,804
I recently got my hands on Azla Sednaearfit Crystal Standard ones. I find they are a step above the AET07 and flipped Final E Black tips. IMO, these are the only tips that I found to be better than the stock ones overall in sound, seal and comfort. The Crystal excels in all areas and it is my first choice for the IE900 now.

However, I find the eartips to sound and seal the best at position 1. To achieve that I placed a 1.5mm spacer mod in the nozzle so the eartips retain at position 1 regardless of how I push the IE900 in the ears.

Just sharing my tiprolling adventures as I have tested and gone through dozens of them. Hope it will make your IE900 shine even better! Cheers :beerchug:
The crystals make the ie 900 too sibilant to my ears, but YMMV :D

Feb 5, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #3,129 of 4,804
30hrs into burn-in. Snuck a peak.

Is it me or does everything else sound "wrong" after listening to the IE900? Like the IE900 sound like how the music was meant to be, and other earphones (like my MEST 2), while sounding subjectively better, sounds like the music is embellished?

Still trying to make sense of what I'm hearing.

Feb 5, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #3,130 of 4,804
I would like to ask, which is a great aftermarket cable for the ie900, i am using a custom silver cable from neotech made by a friend, and I like it better than stock as the separation is better and the mids are more detailed, but I am open to look into cable rolling, and would like to know what others think?

I also think the ie900 yes can be driven from dongles and daps, but when I connected it to ifi pro dsd it was a total different experience, I think this ie900 loves power :)

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #3,131 of 4,804

Is it me or does everything else sound "wrong" after listening to the IE900? Like the IE900 sound like how the music was meant to be, and other earphones (like my MEST 2), while sounding subjectively better, sounds like the music is embellished?

What do you mean? Better on your ears IE900 or Mest MkII?

Feb 5, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #3,132 of 4,804
I would like to ask, which is a great aftermarket cable for the ie900, i am using a custom silver cable from neotech made by a friend, and I like it better than stock as the separation is better and the mids are more detailed, but I am open to look into cable rolling, and would like to know what others think?

I also think the ie900 yes can be driven from dongles and daps, but when I connected it to ifi pro dsd it was a total different experience, I think this ie900 loves power :)
With FiiO M17 are incredible

Feb 5, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #3,133 of 4,804

Are IE900 sounds much warmer than Mest MKII?

Feb 5, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #3,135 of 4,804

Users who are viewing this thread

Back