Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Dec 31, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #2,866 of 4,795
I remain with my opinion on that. The only real advantage of the balanced cable for normal users is that you can push more power. If your source is capable of running unbalanced without getting close to the max power output there isnt a difference
Alright. I'll probably use the Gryphon with 3.5mm then. Don't want to be cable swapping all the time for my iphone

Dec 31, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #2,867 of 4,795
I don't know why, a few months ago, I didn't go to the Large Xelento tips on the IE 900 and I stopped with the medium size..
I will see the next days, but, actually I am really impressed with those today, particularly with the Fiio M17 as DAP so comfortable in the ears (far less inserted inside my ear canal than my usual AZLA SednaEarfitLight) and it offers rich sound quality !!!! IE900 - Xelento Tips small size.jpg..

I couldn't find anyplace to order the Xelento tips (I'll probably need XL, XXL, or 3XL). Anyone know of someplace to order?

Dec 31, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #2,868 of 4,795
I remain with my opinion on that. The only real advantage of the balanced cable for normal users is that you can push more power. If your source is capable of running unbalanced without getting close to the max power output there isnt a difference
I agree that balanced vs SE does not matter to the monitors. OTOH, it can make a noticeable difference depending on the amp driving them. For the most part, I find amps that offer both balanced and SE generally offer better bass control and sound stage on the balanced output. Of course, this depends on the source.

Dec 31, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #2,871 of 4,795
Happy new year everyone, especially the ie900 owners, this was easily my best purchase of 2021!
My first hours of 2022 were with the IE900 and the more I listen to it, the more I love it and am impressed.
It's unique sounding. I haven't plugged it yet to the Pro iCAN but I think this will be interesting...

IE900 is a classic in the making... that 7mm driver is something special and unique... they managed to push it even further than IE800 (I am skipping IE800S which was such a disappointment... too much correction on the IE800 irks). Sennheiser is back!

Happy new years to all lucky owners, so hard to find these days... and good luck to future owners, Sennheiser will pick back no doubt...

Jan 1, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #2,872 of 4,795
My first hours of 2022 were with the IE900 and the more I listen to it, the more I love it and am impressed.
It's unique sounding. I haven't plugged it yet to the Pro iCAN but I think this will be interesting...

IE900 is a classic in the making... that 7mm driver is something special and unique... they managed to push it even further than IE800 (I am skipping IE800S which was such a disappointment... too much correction on the IE800 irks). Sennheiser is back!

Happy new years to all lucky owners, so hard to find these days... and good luck to future owners, Sennheiser will pick back no doubt...
I love it more and more everyday. It's one of those that grows on you with time and shows its true awesomeness in layers.

Happy new year to you all with all the best wishes.

Jan 1, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #2,873 of 4,795
Happy New Year all, agree on all the love for IE900 and hopefully more people get an opportunity to try them. In a year for me of a lot of audio experiments, IE900 stands out as the IEM that captivated and taught me the most, stopping me look for anything else for the longest amount of time! It was hard work having a pre launch unit back in May, trying to convey impressions and answer questions before they were launched, but also an enjoyable experience engaging in this busy thread at the time!

20210511_093332.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 1, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #2,874 of 4,795
Just sharing my experience as I find many people struggle with silicone tips to get a seal!
I was one of you and I prefer silicone over foam generally.
After having tried every size in position 2, which I’d call the default of every IEM, I figured why not give that unorthodox position 1 a go where it’s not all the way pushed on.
Suddenly with small, I could shove it in my ears to a deep fit and have an amazing seal! This was a rea eye opener for me and while I was sceptical about the positions, I am glad they are there because position 1 works so much better for me!
I don’t know if this has to do with the size/depth of your ear and the bends in your ear canal but I can’t get it to comfortably and reliably seal on position 2 while it absolutely works great on position 1.

That’s just my 2 cents!

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #2,875 of 4,795
Just sharing my experience as I find many people struggle with silicone tips to get a seal!
After having tried every size in position 2, which I’d call the default of every IEM, I figured why not give that unorthodox position 1 a go where it’s not all the way pushed on.
Suddenly with small, I could shove it in my ears to a deep fit and have an amazing seal! This was a rea eye opener for me and while I was sceptical about the positions, I am glad they are there because position 1 works so much better for me!
I don’t know if this has to do with the size/depth of your ear and the bends in your ear canal but I can’t get it to comfortably and reliably seal on position 2 while it absolutely works great on position 1.

That’s just my 2 cents!
Great tip, with a downside usually... you can end up with the tip stuck in your ear and sometimes I had to use tweezers to get them out :p

Jan 1, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #2,877 of 4,795

That’s just my 2 cents!

Great tip, with a downside usually... you can end up with the tip stuck in your ear and sometimes I had to use tweezers to get them out :p

That hasn’t happened to me with these yet but has with etymotic!
Open thar ear canal by pulling on earlobe before pulling out helps I guess. 😜
Pls excuse me, what are positions 2 and 1? Trying to learn.

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #2,878 of 4,795
Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #2,879 of 4,795
Glad to see at least a few guys have been willing to spend some time with the IE 900 to try tip rolling and plain ol' brain burn-in. As it was for a few others (looking at you @gLer & @Scuba Devils ) the IE 900 proved to be a transformative piece of kit, and in my case, it happened rather quickly. I think in this day of so many options, it's super easy to write something off after only a few hours and move on to the next thing in the queue. Been there, done that myself especially during the height of my involvement in this hobby c.2013'ish.

I recently got a FOTM reference'ish with bass boost set (Thieaudio Monarch MKII) to sate my desire for an occasional, different sound presentation (and as a callback to my my 2-channel speaker days when I chased a more reference sound). However, IE 900 remains my #1. I love this set, and it has saved me a ton of $$ and time I just no longer am willing to devote to audio as my hierarchy of hobbies has changed (and grown significantly) over the previous 5+ years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back