Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Dec 22, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #2,776 of 4,800
Hi,

Can anyone just confirm for me that the Comply P-Series ear bud tips will not fit the IE 900?
I don't believe they will fit. They look to be for a very narrow nozzle iem. The IE 900 does fit standard bore width tips, however. For standard tips, see utdeep's post above about putting a ring around the nozzle if the nozzle is too shallow for a deep fit. It works wonderfully.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #2,777 of 4,800
Where are they in stock in UK and are Made in Germany? And for who is using them with the W2, do you use high gain or low? Do they compare at all in sound with full size headphones? Closed maybe?
My W2 is set low gain on iPad but high gain on iPhone to achieve similar SQ. Just need to adjust the volume. In my opinion, low gain sounds better and more balanced overall because frequency response is different with high gain and might push the IE900 a little too bright. That is how I feel about the W2. Other settings on my W2 are all on normal, fast and tune02. Using 4.4mm balanced as well. 3.5mm cable does not sound as nice as balanced. However, if you feel the IE900 is too bright with W2 on balanced, you can go SE. It will help.

Dec 23, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #2,778 of 4,800
My W2 is set low gain on iPad but high gain on iPhone to achieve similar SQ. Just need to adjust the volume. In my opinion, low gain sounds better and more balanced overall because frequency response is different with high gain and might push the IE900 a little too bright. That is how I feel about the W2. Other settings on my W2 are all on normal, fast and tune02. Using 4.4mm balanced as well. 3.5mm cable does not sound as nice as balanced. However, if you feel the IE900 is too bright with W2 on balanced, you can go SE. It will help.
Good to hear there is great sinergy W2 and IE900. Was wondering if people use 4.4 or 3.5

Dec 24, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #2,780 of 4,800
So I recently got a tube amp (Allnic HPA-3000 GT) and out of curiosity wanted to try the ie 900 on it. I'll just copy/paste from the write up I did of the amp. In short, holy cow did these scale like nobody's business!
Sennheiser IE 900 👍
Now...there's a reason I put this second on the list. I was very curious how the IE 900 would sound on a tube amp and, to be honest, I was very paranoid that something bad would happen. Fortunately, I had confirmed it to be safe beforehand.

The IE 900 isn't without its faults, of course. The treble can get a little hot at times, the upper mids are scooped out a bit, and the staging is a bit off. Pairing it with the Soloist, the treble is mostly tamed while the other two issues are still present but less bothersome.

Pairing it with the Allnic for the first time, I was floored! Honestly, I didn't expect much but there were noticeable improvements all across the board. It didn't tame some of the treble hotness but it extends so nicely and sounds so clean that I'm okay with it. The upper mids have been nicely filled up with very good detail and very good timbre. The staging is mostly fixed and the bass is so fun while being very technical, textured, and nuanced. The IE 900 is honestly a good value (with the right pairing), but unfortunate that most reviews undersell it imo. I guess it was pure luck that I stumbled across this pairing; I was genuinely surprised.

With all that said, I would definitely not recommend getting an Allnic just for the IE 900. But since I already have it, all the better. In terms of sound quality alone, the Utopia obviously beats out the IE 900. But in terms of enjoyment, I enjoyed it almost as much as the Utopia. It goes to show that synergy is king at the end of the day. What a pairing!
Link to the write-up if anyone's interested: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/allnic-hpa-3000.714479/post-16680812

Dec 24, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #2,782 of 4,800
Oh yeah...sounds much better with the AET07 tips. Much fuller sounding with better bass response. Sounds great out of the N3Pro balanced out as well as triode mode. 👍

Gonna give PEQ a try in a bit...

Edit: I like them out of the RU6 even more. Which only means it'll sound even better out of RS6/R01. 😅

EQ isn't really necessary IMO, but I'm curious.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #2,783 of 4,800
I've got the IE900 in my hands again after having sold my first set; the more balanced sound of the FAudio Dark Sky won out in my three-way TOTL single DD comparo (A8000, Dark Sky, IE900), but the IE900 just fits so damn well and I do enjoy its mini-LX sound. Anyway, I made an amazing discovery this time around - my preferred Sony hybrid tips actually work with the 2-step system on the nozzles of the IE900.
emoji mind blown.jpg

This is amazing news for me as the Sony hybrid tips are my go-to eartips and I was previously only able to get good isolation with the deep insertion of the stock tips on the outer step. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to try the Sony tips on the outer step, I think I'm just so used to pushing the eartips all the way down, but I am a happy man.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #2,784 of 4,800
I see that the Sennheiser website and official online shop are now presented in a new outfit. And the IE900 is available from their shop now after being undeliverable for months. I suppose all this is related to the ownership changeover.

So my questions are:

1. Where is the IE900 being manufactured nowadays? At the original Wedemark facility, as the website mentions?

2. Did anybody here buy an IE900 direct recently, in this new era?

3. Any new remarks now on product quality, on accessories? Maybe even on potential changes in sound?

Thanks a lot in advance. I am considering to purchase an IE900 …

Dec 25, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #2,785 of 4,800
I see that the Sennheiser website and official online shop are now presented in a new outfit. And the IE900 is available from their shop now after being undeliverable for months. I suppose all this is related to the ownership changeover.

So my questions are:

1. Where is the IE900 being manufactured nowadays? At the original Wedemark facility, as the website mentions?

2. Did anybody here buy an IE900 direct recently, in this new era?

3. Any new remarks now on product quality, on accessories? Maybe even on potential changes in sound?

Thanks a lot in advance. I am considering to purchase an IE900 …
1. Now they are made in Ireland
2 and 3 means to relax, quality and the sound is the same.as the ones made in Germany.

Dec 25, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #2,786 of 4,800
@Ichos: In your full review of the IE900 (https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sennheiser-ie-900.25145/reviews), you mention this:

”The stage extends beyond the ears and creates a deep, three-dimensional illusion with the performers occupying their desks with pinpoint accuracy and ample space between them.
If there is something to criticize is that the picture is missing in size and scale and there is the feeling that we are listening to the music like sitting in the balcony of the concert hall.“

Hmm, @Ichos, do you still hear it like that? And do others here hear it similarly? In particular the ”balcony seat“.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Dec 25, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #2,787 of 4,800
@Ichos: In your full review of the IE900 (https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sennheiser-ie-900.25145/reviews), you mention this:

”The stage extends beyond the ears and creates a deep, three-dimensional illusion with the performers occupying their desks with pinpoint accuracy and ample space between them.
If there is something to criticize is that the picture is missing in size and scale and there is the feeling that we are listening to the music like sitting in the balcony of the concert hall.“

Hmm, @Ichos, do you still hear it like that? And do others here hear it similarly? In particular the ”balcony seat“.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Unfortunately I don't have the IE900 in my possession but yes , what I wrote in the review is what I was hearing.

Dec 25, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #2,788 of 4,800

Thanks a lot in advance.
They are iems so keep your expectations in check. Not saying it's not possible but iems will still stage like iems. At least that's my experience. IE 900 still has decent stage but I do not hear it extending beyond any of my ears.

Dec 25, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #2,790 of 4,800
Anyone here who can compare the size to a shure se846?
Are they wider?
Are they more bulky (in terms of thickness like se846 are thicker / larger than se215 for example in terms of profile)?
It's been a long time since I had the Shure SE846, but I remember the SE846 being on the bulky side. IE900 is smaller all across the board and can sleep on the side with them which is a bit harder to do on the SE846 because it bulges a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back