Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Nov 20, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #2,596 of 4,804
IE 900 is great for EDM. Plays fine out of a phone, but scales nicely if you add an amp/DAC dongle, or plug it into a DAP.

Yup I tried connecting to my iPhone straight with 3.5mm. It was fine but not as good as using the W2 with 4.4mm. I think the IE 900 scales according to what you use as a source. I find myself curious to try out different sources now that I found this forum. Only if I did not google the IE 900 😂 Been reading a lot and it made me more critical about my listening. I just hope this honeymoon period will never be over haha.

Nov 21, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #2,597 of 4,804
Yup I tried connecting to my iPhone straight with 3.5mm. It was fine but not as good as using the W2 with 4.4mm. I think the IE 900 scales according to what you use as a source. I find myself curious to try out different sources now that I found this forum. Only if I did not google the IE 900 😂 Been reading a lot and it made me more critical about my listening. I just hope this honeymoon period will never be over haha.
While trying out different sources don't forget to audition the Ifi xDSD Gryphon too, it does a good job with all the IEM's and headphones I own and the ie900 is no exception, also its a very versatile device.

rsz_11img_4150.jpg

Nov 21, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #2,598 of 4,804
While trying out different sources don't forget to audition the Ifi xDSD Gryphon too, it does a good job with all the IEM's and headphones I own and the ie900 is no exception, also its a very versatile device.

How would you say the Gryphon compares to the DAP with the IE 900? I'm very curious about how it sounds, now that I've heard the Go Blu.

Nov 21, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #2,599 of 4,804
Help :)

I’ve just purchased IE900. I really like them and don’t want to listen IE800s after them.

However there is a problem with fit. Usually I always use Medium stock tips.
With IE900 I have good isolation only with Large foam tip.

Please recommend alternative tips which may help me resolve fit problems.

In manual it’s written that foam tips are usable for 3 month.

Attachments

• 89FC3B95-D90E-40DA-9B24-0AEC18794CBB.jpeg
    89FC3B95-D90E-40DA-9B24-0AEC18794CBB.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Nov 21, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #2,600 of 4,804
How would you say the Gryphon compares to the DAP with the IE 900? I'm very curious about how it sounds, now that I've heard the Go Blu.
That is a very tricky question/comparison. I don't own the Go Blu so I can't compare with that particular device I'm afraid.

The N6ii is also fairly unique in that it offers several different DAC modules as you probably already know. All the DAC modules are subtly different. I'm using the N6ii + A02 with the Gryphon at the moment, its the best I've heard from that card, the amplifier in the Gryphon is very good and I like the XBass+/II feature too.

N6ii with the R01 probably has the best synergy with the IE 900 so I think it beats the N6ii + A02 + Gryphon but the Gryphon has enough power to drive more power hungry headphones, on paper it has twice the power output over its 4.4mm output compared to the R01, so there is that.

Gryphon beats the original xDSD too, if only for flexibility, but probably slightly on overall sound balance/quality too.

Personally I usually find very little differences between various sources anyway so you can see my dilemma here, for me I had to get the xDSD Gryphon because it was exactly the device I'd been looking for because its so versatile, it basically had everything I was looking for in a portable DAC/amp.

Apart from the habit it has of catching me out with moments of full blast output (two so far and not nice with a device that is capable of 1W output), over USB the source I can't fault it. The problem is source volume controls the master volume, that is not what I'm used to with the original xDSD.

The Gryphon is probably perfect for me and I think we will have a long and happy relationship.

I’ve just purchased IE900. I really like them and don’t want to listen IE800s after them.

I can only advise what worked for me, at first I used the Comply SmartCore Audio Pro tips that only come in Med and Large Sizes, fit was good with medium but I knew the life of these tips would be measurable in weeks so I persevered with the included tips. I couldn't get a seal at first with any of them even the large size, then I tried the medium size on the outer position for a slightly deeper insertion, now fit is perfect.

The outer position is a little trick the included tips have that allow them to detent/lock in place further out from the IEM body, try it with all the included silicone tips you may get a good fit too.

Nov 21, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #2,601 of 4,804
That is a very tricky question/comparison. I don't own the Go Blu so I can't compare with that particular device I'm afraid.

The N6ii is also fairly unique in that it offers several different DAC modules as you probably already know. All the DAC modules are subtly different. I'm using the N6ii + A02 with the Gryphon at the moment, its the best I've heard from that card, the amplifier in the Gryphon is very good and I like the XBass+/II feature too.

N6ii with the R01 probably has the best synergy with the IE 900 so I think it beats the N6ii + A02 + Gryphon but the Gryphon has enough power to drive more power hungry headphones, on paper it has twice the power output over its 4.4mm output compared to the R01, so there is that.

Gryphon beats the original xDSD too, if only for flexibility, but probably slightly on overall sound balance/quality too.

Personally I usually find very little differences between various sources anyway so you can see my dilemma here, for me I had to get the xDSD Gryphon because it was exactly the device I'd been looking for because its so versatile, it basically had everything I was looking for in a portable DAC/amp.

Apart from the habit it has of catching me out with moments of full blast output (two so far and not nice with a device that is capable of 1W output), over USB the source I can't fault it. The problem is source volume controls the master volume, that is not what I'm used to with the original xDSD.

The Gryphon is probably perfect for me and I think we will have a long and happy relationship.
Thanks for that. The Gryphon will only really work for me as a DAP alternative, which is why is like to test it against my current high-end DAP (HiBy R8). Sure there's a big price difference but I'm happy to spend more for the best sound since I only use one source. If the Gryphon can match the R8 SQ using my phone as a source, it could be a useful option.

I'm not a fan of foam tips. Try Acoustune AET07 tips (probably M or L based on your foam sizing).

Nov 21, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #2,602 of 4,804

I had problem with the stock tips as well. Both the silicone and foam. Like you, only the large foam seals nicely but it will hurt after a while since it is tight.

So I went to buy more tips to test which one would fit and sound the best. I bought Acoustune AET07 M and Comply TX200 M with the foam insert since I feel IE 900’s treble is a little hot at times. The AET07 is without filter and silicone so these two tips are very different. It’s why I bought them so I can feel the difference.

The result is just what I thought. Comply TX200 tip feels muted all the way. Treble is perfect for me but the lows and mids are not as punchy as before when I was using the Spinfit CP360 or stock foam. On the other hand, the AET07 works like a charm. It’s much better than the TX200. Everything sounds good.

But here is the surprise. I was not 100% satisfied and tried the stock tips again. This time I want to make the effort to actually make them fit. I only got the silicone M fit besides the foam L. It’s tricky but it provides a good seal. Lo and behold, the sound is AMAZING 😂

It’s my left ear that has problem having a good seal on the stock silicone. I had to wiggle it back and forth. I suggest you give the stock silicone M a try again as it may fit you and sound is just so good with it. Good luck!

Nov 21, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #2,603 of 4,804
It took me a long time but, I could find a long and large tips, that gives perfect seal and marvelous sound, though it took a few weeks my ears to feel totally comfortable with those tips .. AZLA SednaEarfitLight 2 Pairs (Size L)
1637486669221.png

Those have a longer tube than usual tips (10mm tube) , so it goes just deep enough inside the ear canal to seal fast and perfectly and the inside of tube is very large too, so it's perfect for the sound. Now I can sleep on a cushion on my side and get full music and no sealing change when I move my head on the cushion.

Now I am looking for a more comfortable balanced cable, as I really feel uncomfortable with the stock cable (cable is far too hard around the ears and a little bump hurts when I put my head on the side)
I couldn't find anything till now. Any idea for a replacement cable is welcome.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #2,604 of 4,804
Nov 21, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #2,605 of 4,804
You mean "Imgaging"? 🤣

Quite cool. Interestingly the high-low height changes were actually quite effective.

Nov 22, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #2,606 of 4,804
But here is the surprise. I was not 100% satisfied and tried the stock tips again. This time I want to make the effort to actually make them fit. I only got the silicone M fit besides the foam L. It’s tricky but it provides a good seal. Lo and behold, the sound is AMAZING 😂
Many thanks :))) This trick worked :)))))

Put on default M tips and feel very comfy and NIRVANA.

Foam tips aren't convenient at all...

P.S. i gave my previous IE800s to my wife as a present. She is lucky :)

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #2,607 of 4,804
Nov 26, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #2,609 of 4,804
The most interesting part is that a moments ago i've realised that M silicon tips not so convenient.
Feels like a little bit large.

I've just tried the S size tips and seems like they're more comfortable while still giving isolation.

This IE900 is extraordinary in every way, including how it should be used... I don't like this hassle with the fit.

IE800s can be inserted instantly and listened for hours without any discomfort.
Also i don't like that default tips of IE800s cannot be put on IE900...

Not sure why every reviewer says that fit is good with IE900, so far this one of the most annoying earphone in terms of fit that i've ever had.

UPDATE:
i've just put another tips the stock M tips from SONY XBA-N3AP. looks like they fit good. Will update in few days.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #2,610 of 4,804
The most interesting part is that a moments ago i've realised that M silicon tips not so convenient.
Feels like a little bit large.

I've just tried the S size tips and seems like they're more comfortable while still giving isolation.

This IE900 is extraordinary in every way, including how it should be used... I don't like this hassle with the fit.

IE800s can be inserted instantly and listened for hours without any discomfort.

Not sure why every reviewer says that fit is good with IE900, so far this one of the most annoying earphone in terms of fit that i've ever had.

UPDATE:
i've just another tips the stock M tips from SONY XBA-N3AP. looks like they fit good. Will update in few days.
I guess its different for everyone. I can listen on the stock silicone for hours while eating and running. Its just tricky to put them on initially. But once it fits, it stays like that until I take them out.

I am still on my stock silicone M. I tried so many eartips including the AET07 which many here liked it and the Final Audio Type E but still went back to the stock haha. It sounds so good with the stock. I am actually looking to buy spare stock silicone but Sennheiser's site says its out. Just want to have spares. Oh well.

I find the Final E is actually good. Maybe you can try it. I have the black ones. It boosts bass a bit and calm the treble a little which is good. But the mids sound a bit muddy. Still good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back