Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Aug 26, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #2,161 of 4,739
What cable is in a 2nd picture?
I removed some plastic to expose more of the mmcx end of my Estron-Linum Superbax cable and was able to fit it solidly on the ie900.

Aug 26, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #2,163 of 4,739
Now I'm going to have to try out the medium stock again. Stop messing with my head @Precogvision! 😝
Update: nope, not for me. Medium is just a touch too small, have to push it right in for a seal and it doesn't pass the yawn test. Large is just a touch too big, and doesn't seal as well as the M, which is to say not much.

AET07 M- fits like a glove in comparison. Tried Spiral Dot M again, and besides being the most comfortable of them all, it's just a hair too diffuse compared to the 07 for my liking.

07 it is, and I'm done tip rolling the IE 900.

Aug 26, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #2,164 of 4,739
With the small tips, the fit goes much much deeper.

Small Tip being really deep. Notice the Senn Logo
20210609_195845.jpg

Using medium/large tips. Note the Logo positioning
IMG_20210826_131207.jpg

Wow, look at those two pictures. When you push them in deep with the small tips it must push against the hair growth suppressor in the brain!

Aug 26, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #2,165 of 4,739
With the small tips, the fit goes much much deeper.

Small Tip being really deep. Notice the Senn Logo
20210609_195845.jpg

Using medium/large tips. Note the Logo positioning
IMG_20210826_131207.jpg
I really think the second photo is a much more natural position for the IE 900. The first is too forced and deep.

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #2,166 of 4,739
So I got these in last night and started listening this morning. Well, the factory tips are not an option because Large is too small for me to get a good seal. I am having success with various large Sednas and Epro, so I'll have a tip-rolling challange in front of me.

I think they sound good out of the box, though nothing I would call drop dead amazing.

Edit: I may have spoken too soon. I started running my bass test tracks through it and I would say it's sounding more than good. Definitely a keeper.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #2,167 of 4,739
So I got these in last night and started listening this morning. Well, the factory tips are not an option because Large is too small for me to get a good seal. I am having success with various large Sednas and Epro, so I'll have a tip-rolling challange in front of me.

I think they sound good out of the box, though nothing I would call drop dead amazing.

Edit: I may have spoken too soon. I started running my bass test tracks through it and I would say it's sounding more than good. Definitely a keeper.
Try the medium on the outer position. I thought the large were too small and so all but gave up with the included tips too but then I tried the medium and to my great surprise got a perfect seal at a particular insertion depth, which is perfect for me and easy to find.

Aug 27, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #2,168 of 4,739
Try the medium on the outer position. I thought the large were too small and so all but gave up with the included tips too but then I tried the medium and to my great surprise got a perfect seal at a particular insertion depth, which is perfect for me and easy to find.

Not quite sure what you mean "on the outer position". You mean very shallow insertion depth?

Aug 27, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #2,169 of 4,739
Stock tips have a gimmick of two possible positions on the lip. You can either put it all in so the nozzle is closer do the end of the tip, or just a bit to keep some distance.

Aug 29, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #2,171 of 4,739
Out of curiosity, how do you think these compare to the VE8? I noticed you have them in your signature :)

VE8 has more details in the bass and mids.
While the Ie900 has more details coming in from its treble extension.

Both iems are musical and not clinical/harsh.

I personally find the VE8 more enjoyable despite the less last octave extension. Plus the VE8 isolates so much that you can listen at lower volumes.

VE8 is very source sensitive. It's bass can sound off depending on the output. But works perfect with my ibasso dap, but not with some of my stuff.

Ie900 doesn't shift presentation as much jumping sources.

Aug 29, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #2,172 of 4,739
Just took my first plunge into “expensive IEM” territory and bought the IE 900’s last night! Upgrading from the IE 80 S which I know had a very mixed reception, especially compared to these, so I’m super stoked!

Being less familiar with IEM’s of this category, is a DAC/AMP necessary to drive them effectively and get the best sound? I’m using an iPhone and that’s likely where I’ll listen to all my music with these IEM’s so I ordered a FiiO BTR5 as well. Thoughts on if this is worth it to go alongside these IEM’s or if they’d sound just as good using the lightning dongle?

Aug 29, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #2,173 of 4,739
Just took my first plunge into “expensive IEM” territory and bought the IE 900’s last night! Upgrading from the IE 80 S which I know had a very mixed reception, especially compared to these, so I’m super stoked!

Being less familiar with IEM’s of this category, is a DAC/AMP necessary to drive them effectively and get the best sound? I’m using an iPhone and that’s likely where I’ll listen to all my music with these IEM’s so I ordered a FiiO BTR5 as well. Thoughts on if this is worth it to go alongside these IEM’s or if they’d sound just as good using the lightning dongle?

Congrats! In my experience, they perform better as you scale the source - in my case, Sony NW-WM1A uncapped with custom firmware and high gain is the best, followed by L&P W2 and Sony ZX507 not far behind. The 1A gives me the best details and stage without sacrificing bass in anyway. W2 can be a touch cold for my taste but retains more detail vs 507... a warm signature DAP anyway.

I suspect a higher end DAP would do them even more justice and now researching options.

Anyway, my 2c - plenty of other pairings here which I've no doubt people will contribute their experiences.

Aug 29, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #2,174 of 4,739
Congrats! In my experience, they perform better as you scale the source - in my case, Sony NW-WM1A uncapped with custom firmware and high gain is the best, followed by L&P W2 and Sony ZX507 not far behind. The 1A gives me the best details and stage without sacrificing bass in anyway. W2 can be a touch cold for my taste but retains more detail vs 507... a warm signature DAP anyway.

I suspect a higher end DAP would do them even more justice and now researching options.

Anyway, my 2c - plenty of other pairings here which I've no doubt people will contribute their experiences.
What Scuba said. They'll be fine off an iPhone with the BTR5, but will scale up nicely if and when you decide to spend on some higher-end sources. Congrats and enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back