Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Aug 15, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #2,041 of 4,796
Hey everyone!
Ear tips and comfort are key to in-ear wearing comfort and forming a good seal for isolation and bass response. To help in this regard, Sennheiser includes tips in foam and silicone, in three sizes each, and each tip can be used in two positions!

Sennheiser just released this illustration to better demonstrate the two positions and insertion depth options on the included ear tips:

As you can see, the tips can be pushed all the way down over the nozzle for a shallow insertion depth, or the tip pulled out to reveal some of the stem of the nozzle and to have the ear tip extend deeper into the ear. The tips hold these two positions by having two grooves in both the silicone and the foam tips, as shown here:

The sound and comfort will vary based on an individual’s ear shape, where the first bend of their ear canal is, and personal preference. We encourage all users to experiment!
Where can a customer buy replacements for the included cushions? And other cushion mfgs, are they going to make models that take advantage of the dual-depth feature in the aftermarket?

Aug 16, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #2,042 of 4,796
Where can a customer buy replacements for the included cushions? And other cushion mfgs, are they going to make models that take advantage of the dual-depth feature in the aftermarket?
I know a place that sells the genuine spare tips in the UK, I saw them on their website. I'm not sure about the USA but your Sennheiser dealer should stock them soon if not already.

Aug 16, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #2,043 of 4,796
Just tried the official silicone tips for the first time with the IE 900 and out of all the tips I've tried (Spinfit, RHA, Campfire, Symbio's) these sound the best, neither too boomy, subduing the highs or recessing the mids. I've got used to leaving accessories in the box for a few reasons and using aftermarket tips but after much trial and error (and frustration) used the ones supplied which were made especially for these :smiley::rolling_eyes:

Aug 16, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #2,044 of 4,796
I have to laugh about tips... I have now finally tried stock silicone again and L are fitting nicely and sound fantastic 😬

I'll try the out walking test later.

Aug 16, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #2,045 of 4,796
Half the thread is about after market tips now its stock tips.

Aug 16, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #2,046 of 4,796
Aug 16, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #2,049 of 4,796
Aug 16, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #2,051 of 4,796
Well the large stock tips passed the walking test this afternoon. Definitely more 'air' to the sound vs the various foam options I've been mostly using.

Aug 16, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #2,052 of 4,796
This morning I took delivery of a cable I ordered from PlusSound 6 weeks ago. The skies have opened, the birds are singing, the air is sweeter.... O.K., that is not true. :smile:

However, out-of-the-box build quality is top notch. Relevant here: the MMCX connectors they use for the IE 300/900 series work; a tight connection, and one needs to hold the barrel of the connector and securely hold the ear piece to get these to click-in, but they are nice and snug. I did not got for anything exotic here: X6 series, 6-wire (type 6 litz, SPC) config. The hardware they use appears to be of the highest quality. I note no microphonics. EDIT: must've been on crazy pills, because in my use since initial post, I definitely note microphonics, at least when I am going out of my way to create it (e.g., by tapping the cable with my finger tip, etc.) So, those looking for an aftermarket cable (**for whatever reasons**) can feel at ease knowing the PlusSound MMCX connectors (specific to the IE 300/900 at least) work.

[snip]

O.K. just edited my OP, in bold above. When I'm just moving about normally, it's not an issue for me, but can be created if one is motivated to. I don't want to lead anyone astray. Apologies for jumping the gun on a pretty basic characteristic, and for being OT in this thread. My intent was only to give other owners an aftermarket option if they so desire for whatever reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back