Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jul 16, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #1,756 of 4,804
Yep, definitely there in the crunchyroll video, and to a lesser extent in the others. Both are examples of what if personally consider oversensitively-micced and compressed female vocal recordings though. But yes, if this is the type (and quality) of music/video you listen to, then the IE 900 will emphasise the flaws. By comparison the Legend X exhibits less sibilance with these, so it's very much a case of the recordings pushing the IE 900s peak (probably around 8k).

Edit: one thing to note was that I tested this with my LG V30+ phone, which has a tendency to show up some 'Sabre glare' for want of a better term. It would be quite a bit smoother and less 'shiny' with the HiBy R8 and it's AK4497 DAC, so source is also an important consideration. Treble filtering tips like the E-Type would also be useful if listening to this type of recording with the IE900.
I think the main takeaway is that it is pronounced on the IE 900. Even comparing with my sony ier-m9 and other full-sized headphones (I know, totally different) they do not exhibit as much of that peak which can be distracting on the IE 900.

I just think it's worth noting and emphasizing because it's there and pretty apparent. It may definitely bother some listeners, but if people don't hear it then all good!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #1,758 of 4,804
That's interesting...most of the reviews I've seen/read the younger reviewers have mentioned it. Age is a definite factor as proven already...
As someone fairly new to the hobby and on the wrong side of middle age I can't help thinking that reviewers ought to mention their ages. I used to be able to hear bat calls but not any more so a bright signature is bound to sound different to me than it would have done to me in my twenties.

I'm considering investing in these IEMs as they sound right up my street so it is interesting to me that reviewers either mention the peak or hardly at all. I'm not a fan of hot treble or overly bright presentation. Positive reviews that allude to brightness seem to say it is revealing without being fatiguing.

My current IEMs are Dunu 3001 pro which as much as I enjoy them seem a litle flat to me.

I'm at an age where a boost to higher frequencies might be evened out by my own hearing so perhaps the only way to find out is try them and return if they don't suit.

Jul 16, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #1,760 of 4,804
I'm 23 but I'm sure there are a myriad of factors not accounted for...

I know this isn't a track but this was when I first noticed it pretty noticeably. You only need to watch the first 5 seconds...

https://www.crunchyroll.com/86-eigh...-poppies-bloom-red-on-the-battlefield-811089\

Also noticed them in these tracks...

These tracks are moderately well-recorded; not the best but far from the worst. Also, the two tracks are available on streaming services for better quality. I did try some EQ but the peaks sound so narrow that it was hard to figure out.

Btw, I'm using spinfit cp100+ tips w/ 2 foam filters shoved in there and tips pulled out for a longer insertion depth (improves stage btw). Affect on sound is minimal (w/ foam) but it balanced everything out nicely imo.

Yeah just listened to these on the Shure 215 & Aonic 5's and then the IE100 Pro (now sold, just to be shipped away).

Absolutely no problem with Shures but the Sennheiser's were unbearable to my ears. The IE100's to me were less prone to sibilance than the IE300 as well, and, the IE300 being closer to the IE900 I would have to avoid in my case.

Jul 16, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #1,761 of 4,804
Yeah just listened to these on the Shure 215 & Aonic 5's and then the IE100 Pro (now sold, just to be shipped away).

Absolutely no problem with Shures but the Sennheiser's were unbearable to my ears. The IE100's to me were less prone to sibilance than the IE300 as well, and, the IE300 being closer to the IE900 I would have to avoid in my case.
Just be careful on generalising because these examples are what I consider extreme for sibilance, and the video file is actually the first instance of uncomfortable sibilance I've heard with the IE900 (which I've been listening almost exclusively with for the last month). So yes, if your library is full of potentially sibilant material then I'd audition before buying, but if sibilance was a widespread issue we'd have read more about it by now.

PS. Speaking of which, watch this space as my IE 900 review is dropping later today.

Jul 16, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #1,763 of 4,804
As someone fairly new to the hobby and on the wrong side of middle age I can't help thinking that reviewers ought to mention their ages. I used to be able to hear bat calls but not any more so a bright signature is bound to sound different to me than it would have done to me in my twenties.

I'm considering investing in these IEMs as they sound right up my street so it is interesting to me that reviewers either mention the peak or hardly at all. I'm not a fan of hot treble or overly bright presentation. Positive reviews that allude to brightness seem to say it is revealing without being fatiguing.

My current IEMs are Dunu 3001 pro which as much as I enjoy them seem a litle flat to me.

I'm at an age where a boost to higher frequencies might be evened out by my own hearing so perhaps the only way to find out is try them and return if they don't suit.

It could be a variance of anatomy too. How deep fitting it fits for some with the memory wire also getting in the way.

Bit either way, there is no sibilance with the ie900 for me. I may get a peak I can feel as an etch to it's treble timbre, but no sibilance at all. (When using 3rd party tips)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #1,764 of 4,804
Uncomfortably bright sometimes? Yes, it happened on maybe 10% of my material, and that's why i EQ the treble down, what works for me is -2dB, Q=0.9, at 7500Hz on my PAW6000.
Sibilant? No, i never had this issue with IE900.
I have to agree, I'm not sensitive to this issue at least with my preferred Comply tips but even if I were I would EQ if only for the pure amazing bass the ie900 is capable of.

I don't think this is a "bass-head" IEM or that I'm a "bass-head" as such :) but when the EDM bass kicks in it's just so enjoyable. I'm sure its the best bass of all the IEM's I've tried and I've tried a few.

Jul 16, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #1,765 of 4,804
It could be a variance of anatomy too. How deep fitting it fits for some with the memory wire also getting in the way.

Bit either way, there is no sibilance with the ie900 for me. I may get a peak I can feel as an etch to it's treble timbre, but no sibilance at all. (When using 3rd party tips)
True - there are a ton of variables to consider even before we get to the inherent subjectivity of listening tastes.

Jul 16, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #1,766 of 4,804
"Sibilance refers to the high-frequency components of certain vocal sounds, especially “s” and “sh”. Sibilance lives in the 5 to 10 kHz frequency range and can cause problems if over-emphasized in a recording."
In many cases, it is the bane of audio engineers, who collectively have come up with ways of de-emphasizing that range of frequencies to a point. If memory serves, that range is also around a strong resonance point in the human ear canal. Our hearing is best between about 18 and 25 years of age, so it doesn't surprise me that younger members would be more sensitive. OTOH, what if the audio engineer on this recording of "Rei Yasuda-Brand New Day feat. H ZETTRIO / THE FIRST TAKE" chose not to use any of the tools available for him to resolve these issues before they are captured? Isolating on the solo vocals, it doesn't sound as if any de-essers were employed on the mic channel.

Surprisingly, the file is an AAC instead of a 320 VBR MP3. Shows how little I've kept up. However, with this lossy size compression, and the appreciable audio compression used, I wouldn't want to use it as an example of outstanding recording quality.
1626443162111.png
1626443376649.png

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #1,767 of 4,804
what if the audio engineer on this recording of "Rei Yasuda-Brand New Day feat. H ZETTRIO / THE FIRST TAKE" chose not to use any of the tools available for him to resolve these issues before they are captured?

Recording practices aside, I don't think that matters quite much in this scenario because other IEMs/headphones (at least what I have) don't have this "sibilance issue" from the track.

Surprisingly, the file is an AAC instead of a 320 VBR MP3. Shows how little I've kept up. However, with this lossy size compression, and the appreciable audio compression used, I wouldn't want to use it as an example of outstanding recording quality.

Where did you get the file? My file originated from ALAC 24/96. Then again, recording quality matters more than file formats...

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #1,768 of 4,804
Gentlemen (and ladies), my FULL REVIEW of the IE 900 is now live HERE. Make yourselves some coffee, maybe some lunch, plus a snack or two...it's a big one! I hope you find it useful. Feel free to hit me up in the comments, on this thread, or by PM. Enjoy!

IE900_15.jpg

Jul 16, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #1,769 of 4,804
Gentlemen (and ladies), my FULL REVIEW of the IE 900 is now live HERE. Make yourselves some coffee, maybe some lunch, plus a snack or two...it's a big one! I hope you find it useful. Feel free to hit me up in the comments, on this thread, or by PM. Enjoy!

IE900_15.jpg
First like for the picture. :)
Shot you a second after reading. ^^

Jul 16, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #1,770 of 4,804

IE900_15.jpg

Dude thats not a review this is a more of a journalistic documentary interview 😅😅😅

Nice work, you really covered so much wow! Tiger is impressed 🐅🐾

Users who are viewing this thread

Back