Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jul 10, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #1,696 of 4,798
Been listening to some prog rock today, and I appreciate how well the IE 900 handles the "busyness"/complexity of it all. I have heard "Luminol" the 1st track of Steven Wilson's The Raven That Refused to Sing on many different speaker, headphone & IEM rigs. The opening very easily can be rendered in such a way as to sound sloppy/disjointed.

Similar to the play back of the Pat Metheny/Lyle Mays jazz joint I referenced upthread, it's the correctness of the time domain that single drivers bring to the table. Percussive elements paired with a bass line that can often sound "not right" due to timing issues, but sure, also timbre a/c different drivers at play. "Luminol" just sounds correct to me on the IE 900.

I'm wondering what my future path will be, but I am happy to have "come back home" to a single DD set at least for the foreseeable future.

I don't do formal, full-on reviews (leave that up to the more capable among us like @gLer , et al). All I can say is that nearing the 100 hour mark, and having thrown examples of my entire library at these, the IE 900 have found a home with me.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #1,698 of 4,798
Hello, I'm looking to get a TOTL IEM in the same price range as the IE 900. All the positive reviews seem to describe a product that is right up my street though they don't pick up on treble sibilance mentioned in lukewarm reviews.

My current daily IEM is the DUNI 3001 Pro which is quite relaxed in the treble region so I was wondering if anyone with experience of both might be able to compare the two and how much the sound signature differs between them.

I'm usually not keen on boosted or shrill treble - though positive reviews of the IE 900 suggest they aren't fatiguing in this respect.

Perhaps this comes down to hearing sensitivity.

The other IEM I'm interested in is the Unique Melody Mest Mk II - I'm generally looking for strong but not overwhelming bass as well as overall musicality. Obviously technology wise the IE900 and the UMM MK2 have a different approach.

I haven't used enough IEMs to form any firm opinion about the sonic differences between hybrids and single direct drivers.

Jul 11, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #1,700 of 4,798
Jul 12, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #1,705 of 4,798
The bass percussion, kick drum or whatever it is, on this track sounds amazing on my setup really hits hard and sounds really nice to me on the ie900, recommended

Youtube link for illustration purposes only, I have a local copy of the album :wink:

You remind me that R.E.M. has not been in contact with my IE900 so far. That must change tonight. Thanks for bringing it up.

Jul 12, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #1,707 of 4,798
Any recommended dap pairings thus far?

I'm running mine on both Sony NW-WM1A (MrWalkman firmware) and ZX507, love them on both.

Curious though on other pairings and doing some research on the LPGT and as of this afternoon, looking at hardware mod for the 1A. Anyone using either with IE900?

Jul 12, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #1,709 of 4,798
Loved the sound on the m11 as well but preferred AQDF Red dollar for dollar, even though I was not able to go balanced on it. The Red remains my portable "catch all" and actually plays quite nice with both the IE 300 / 900 (mostly laptop use). If DAP you must, I would also not hesitate to suggest you give the m11 a try. Balanced was a treat.

Last edited:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jul 12, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #1,710 of 4,798
The IE900's mate in my realm is the Astell & Kern Futura SE-100. These babies like the hell out of the potential 4.1 Vrms (bal) out of the A&K. Playback is effortless, and the combination could make ears bleed. Like I alluded to in earlier posts, where I'd set volume @ 106 on my A&K T8iEs, I have to go to 118 on the Sennheisers. Not a technical report, but simple observation.

Addendum: More info. In the most primitive of DC formulas, the 4.1 Vrms with the 16-ohm impedance will yield 1,050 mW. That's not a vector summation; it doesn't account for inductive reactance, nor capacitive reactance, throughout the frequency band, but it does give a "general" impression that's a goodly amount of power to have available.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back