Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jun 7, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #946 of 4,804
I see. Hugo 2 is my reference, wonder how the ie 900 will sound with it. But judging how well my HD 820 and IE 800 S pair with it, I'm sure it'll be stellar. The detail with the KSE + H2 is quite incredible, though, I often prefer Senn's warmth with the lean H2. But for analytical listening, not much would beat the KSE + H2, so even if I get the ie 900 not sure I would get rid of the KSE.

Hopefully I can get a review unit of the ie 900, so I can throw my impressions in here as well.
Bit all this coming from guesses , hopes and from what you believe. Wouldnt it be better you conserve the guesses and find out ? Or maybe you just bored sitting around and want the thrill of spending. Really seems you already have the gear to enjoy any style of music.

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #947 of 4,804
There's a lot of IE 900 discussion so you may have missed it, but the product manager explained it in detail in the live Q&A. I posted the measurement and an image and it is in the product page—again, zero proprieties. Here's a screen capture. We're glad you haven't experienced any failures. Although you may never get a flat tire on the highway, others may, and this is not much different in principle. The recessed connector is another safeguard for your investment. 3rd party cables that fit the socket will benefit from additional strain relief as well.
I have the IE300, not the IE900, but the potential of MMCX failure is a minor problem compared to the undeniable fact that the cable is extremely microphonic. And right now, with the OK not proprietary but rare connector, there's no economical way to replace it with a cable that's not noisy. When you pay this much for a headphone you should be able to walk around -- or do even more strenuous things -- without cable noise messing up the music. 3d party cablers -- and I don't mean super luxury 32-core vibranium-enhanced nitrogen-free unobtainium cables with solid gold custom-engraved plugs -- have an opportunity here and the sooner they exploit it, the better.

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #948 of 4,804
I have the IE300, not the IE900, but the potential of MMCX failure is a minor problem compared to the undeniable fact that the cable is extremely microphonic. And right now, with the OK not proprietary but rare connector, there's no economical way to replace it with a cable that's not noisy. When you pay this much for a headphone you should be able to walk around -- or do even more strenuous things -- without cable noise messing up the music. 3d party cablers -- and I don't mean super luxury 32-core vibranium-enhanced nitrogen-free unobtainium cables with solid gold custom-engraved plugs -- have an opportunity here and the sooner they exploit it, the better.
@earmonger Your disdain for this cable is well-documented. Thank you.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jun 7, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #949 of 4,804
Well I can confirm that removing the small foam inside the eartip does affect the sound and by alot as you get a much more open treble response and the peak level is now higher, in some occasion too much.

I like it with the foam as it presents a more pleasing sound and the details are there just less zingy ( chimery )
So Senn is saying that the foam shouldn't affect SQ, but users are saying that it does. I don't like this.

Bit all this coming from guesses , hopes and from what you believe. Wouldnt it be better you conserve the guesses and find out ? Or maybe you just bored sitting around and want the thrill of spending. Really seems you already have the gear to enjoy any style of music.
This is head-fi man. Most of us are here for fun, not practicality.

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #950 of 4,804
So Senn is saying that the foam shouldn't affect SQ, but users are saying that it does. I don't like this.
Users , reader , etc. Are guessing then stating as if their guesses are facts.

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #951 of 4,804
Every little thing about tips alter SQ. Nozzle length, bore size, material, thickness, shape, fit, length, seal...... etc...etc...

Why should foam inserts be any different? Why are some people so obessed with foams in the provided tips??? I don't get it.

You find what works for you as far as proper seal/comfort/sound, and move on. Why should IE900 be any different? You can't tip roll because the original tips have foam inserts?? Where is this coming from? I mean how many people only use tips that comes with the original packaging on their IEMs??

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #952 of 4,804
Every little thing about tips alter SQ.

Yes!

I mean how many people only use tips that comes with the original packaging on their IEMs??
Well, probably most people...head-fi-ers not included. You'd be surprised how many people never change the default desktop screen on their laptops.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #953 of 4,804
Every little thing about tips alter SQ. Nozzle length, bore size, material, thickness, shape, fit, length, seal...... etc...etc...

Why should foam inserts be any different? Why are some people so obessed with foams in the provided tips??? I don't get it.

You find what works for you as far as proper seal/comfort/sound, and move on. Why should IE900 be any different? You can't tip roll because the original tips have foam inserts?? Where is this coming from? I mean how many people only use tips that comes with the original packaging on their IEMs??
For me it's the discrepancy. If the intent is no or very little impact to SQ and users are saying different, that's something notable.

I wouldn't say anyone is obsessing, unless I missed something. I personally just like to understand what I'm buying, especially for a high-priced item.

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #954 of 4,804
Well whats the big deal? You can use any foams or silicons tips as you like.

Cable is replaceable with other brands, it worked I tried it with a friend yesterday 😁

Sound is awesome with or without the little foam thing inside the sennheiser eartip. My friend liked it without the foami and I did with it. I feel like sennheiser did it as extra possible tuning and you just pick the way you like it hmmmm

ie900 is a great iem its really worth to own. I dont see it replacing my ultra strong Fourté but man ie900 is beating up alot of other iems. It also depends what your after you know.

you can complain on anything I even DO SO on my legendary fourté lmao and then yet I still love it 😛🤣

I dont see many complaints in regards to ie900 then the cable a bit too microphonic and the little foam inside the tip that confuses many folks but it actually a good thing to have!

the silicons tips are not sound isolated so low use for someone in commuting unfortunately.

Regarding the sound. Well it has everything you want to hear it just dont reach fourté level.
I still loving the ie900 I find it musical, pleasant and enjoying it with all kind of music.

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #955 of 4,804
No hiss your safe to jump on one 😎😛

I think ie900 is hiss free of anything
Nice to hear that! Thanks for checking. :slight_smile:
Now, I'm just waiting for my credit card to go onto the next billing cycle. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (Also don't want to make another big purchase so soon after getting the Campfire Audio Dorado 2020.)

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #956 of 4,804
If you want a cheaper cable you can try the tripowin c8 I have one for my Tin P1 and looks like it fits but the left one won't click.
tripowin_c8_0607212339.jpg

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #958 of 4,804
For me it's the discrepancy. If the intent is no or very little impact to SQ and users are saying different, that's something notable.

I wouldn't say anyone is obsessing, unless I missed something. I personally just like to understand what I'm buying, especially for a high-priced item.

I understand. No one should blindly buy stuff this expensive when they have doubts.

But foams or not, different tips will give you different sound. Even with same tips, depending on fit and insertion depth, the sound will alter. So not sure how it's a discrepency. In the end, ten different people telling me how these sound doesn't mean a thing to me as we don't share our ears.

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #959 of 4,804
My favorite cable is the PW audio 1960. It is slightly microphonic.

Couldn’t care less. What is the big deal?
That cable used to cost over $500 USD.

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #960 of 4,804
Well, probably most people...head-fi-ers not included. You'd be surprised how many people never change the default desktop screen on their laptops.

Well most people don't buy $1,300 earphone.... head-fi-ers not included. You'd be surprised how many people change their socks daily. 😀😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back