Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jun 3, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #796 of 4,806
Cryptonite!

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #797 of 4,806
I must add too, it has genuinely been tough for me sharing impressions due to the fact I don't have the technical knowledge to share what might be considered reliable or maybe hype - but what I say are my impressions, expressed in the only way I can for now. Its strange as a music fanatic for so many years entering an unfamiliar realm with a whole new set of terminology that was just never on my radar up to a few months ago... of course I knew about EQing, the differences from lows, mids and highs, tempo etc, my years DJing (hobbies, parties, pirate stations mostly) certainly tuned to my ears to beat-matching and probably more importantly, track matching and set progression, but a lot of new lingo to now understand which I am certainly enjoying, especially as I become more familiar with various flavours of IEMs and what they can or can't do.
I imagine that being knowledgeable on the latest audio lingo has its purpose and can facilitate getting to some shared understanding. I actually appreciate the way you share your impressions with a focus on the music and the emotions evoked. At the end of the day we are listening to music, and I think that our gears should serve mainly as a conduit to appreciating or being at one with the music.

I alluded to these potentially being hyped because trying to place them based on the few comparisons being made was difficult. However, I was intrigued and the good news is that I ordered them yesterday and they have arrived in less than 24 hours!

ie 900.png

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #798 of 4,806
Finally I could do a short comparison between the IE800 and the IE900. Let me make it very short, in my book the IE900 outperforms the IE800 across the board. It sounds like a very good over ear headphone rather than an inear.
Much more and better bass, clearer vocals and tamed down but incredible defined treble.
Did I mention the very impactful bass...
16227454767506145190385053831412.jpg

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #799 of 4,806
I imagine that being knowledgeable on the latest audio lingo has its purpose and can facilitate getting to some shared understanding. I actually appreciate the way you share your impressions with a focus on the music and the emotions evoked. At the end of the day we are listening to music, and I think that our gears should serve mainly as a conduit to appreciating or being at one with the music.

I alluded to these potentially being hyped because trying to place them based on the few comparisons being made was difficult. However, I was intrigued and the good news is that I ordered them yesterday and they have arrived in less than 24 hours!

Welcome to the #IE900club !

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jun 3, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #800 of 4,806
Finally I could do a short comparison between the IE800 and the IE900. Let me make it very short, in my book the IE900 outperforms the IE800 across the board. It sounds like a very good over ear headphone rather than an inear.
Much more and better bass, clearer vocals and tamed down but incredible defined treble.
Did I mention the very impactful bass...
16227454767506145190385053831412.jpg
You have no respect for my wallet! I love both the IE800 and IE800S, and if the IE900 is better across the board, there is really no other choice but to get it at some point...What tip do you have on the IE900 in this picture? Many thanks

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #801 of 4,806
You have no respect for my wallet! I love both the IE800 and IE800S, and if the IE900 is better across the board, there is really no other choice but to get it at some point...What tip do you have on the IE900 in this picture? Many thanks
It is the large silicone tip which comes with the IE900

Jun 3, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #802 of 4,806
Jun 3, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #803 of 4,806
I'm not gonna lie. When I initially heard the announcement, I was a bit dissapointed this thing only packed a 7mm driver, which I thought was nothing more than a reused version from the previous models. But not only does it have proper slam and impact, driver speed is amazing. EDMs are such a treat with these.

I'm also glad Sennheiser went against the grain and remained with a single DD.

Jun 3, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #804 of 4,806
I'm not gonna lie. When I initially heard the announcement, I was a bit dissapointed this thing only packed a 7mm driver, which I thought was nothing more than a reused version from the previous models. But not only does it have proper slam and impact, driver speed is amazing. EDMs are such a treat with these.

I'm also glad Sennheiser went against the grain and remained with a single DD.
I dunno what it is these days with the thought that more drivers the better. It's like how everyone thinks Balanced is better. It depends.

Electrostats are the most resolving, and that's one driver.

Jun 3, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #806 of 4,806
I have a set of Shure SE846 and am looking for an upgrade - any owners of both have any advice for me on whether these will be a worthwhile move?
Thanks!

Hey I had the se846 before and trust me you should run and grab ie900 asap! They are that good.

Se846 was awesome back then but things have moved quite a bit since then and its an antique iem today lol.

Seriously ie900 are so fun and pleasurable to listen! That I dont remember when the last time I had so much fun and shaked my booty and danced as much 🥰

Jun 3, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #807 of 4,806
Hey I had the se846 before and trust me you should run and grab ie900 asap! They are that good.

Se846 was awesome back then but things have moved quite a bit since then and its an antique iem today lol.

Seriously ie900 are so fun and pleasurable to listen! That I dont remember when the last time I had so much fun and shaked my booty and danced as much 🥰
This is the reply I was really hoping to see! I love the se846 but agree that it just feels outdated now! And always eager to try something better!

What specific aspects do you feel the ie900’s outshine the se846’s on? If you don’t mind me asking!

Jun 3, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #808 of 4,806
This is the reply I was really hoping to see! I love the se846 but agree that it just feels outdated now! And always eager to try something better!

What specific aspects do you feel the ie900’s outshine the se846’s on? If you don’t mind me asking!

I would say in every way 😃

But more specifically, bass, energy, dynamics, the bass ripples and decay of a true DD! 846 is a clean linear beast and has a soft tonality.

I would also say, ie900 has better drive and fun pleasures. You can escape the reality with ie900 when you start diving with long listening sessions. You get deep and fast bass with gentle treble yet everything is sharp and detailed.

Jun 3, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #809 of 4,806
I would say in every way 😃

But more specifically, bass, energy, dynamics, the bass ripples and decay of a true DD! 846 is a clean linear beast and has a soft tonality.

I would also say, ie900 has better drive and fun pleasures. You can escape the reality with ie900 when you start diving with long listening sessions. You get deep and fast bass with gentle treble yet everything is sharp and detailed.
That all sounds like exactly what I’m looking for! May have to just take the plunge!
Thanks for your comments!

Jun 3, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #810 of 4,806
That all sounds like exactly what I’m looking for! May have to just take the plunge!
Thanks for your comments!

Ie900 is a serious upgrade over the old Legendary se846 😎🙃

They where my first ToTL iems when I entered the world of audio narnia 😛

Get ie900 and a good dap like zx507 or fiio m11 pro, maybe later upgrade the cable and your set for another 5 years bro!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back