Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jun 26, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #1,426 of 4,804
so here are some early impressions after some listening through my RME ADI-2 DAC (IEM out): The IE900 is like a more refined IE300. Both have a lot in common. (coherence, separation, spaciouseness, resolution)
The IE900 is less warm and bloated in the upper bass and lower mids, vocals sound a bit more forward and realistic. Treble is noticeable smoother and less elevated. The way how the bass slope is sculpted really hits the sweet spot for me.
So it is less of a V-Shape than the IE300 and a smoother and a more neutral listen overall (still not a neutral IEM though). I have the feeling the main difference is really the tuning and not so much differences in technicalities. The IE900 might be a bit more resolving in the treble.
With EQ it is easy to remove some bloat from the IE300 and add some more mids. Though more refinement in treble is not easy to achieve with EQ.

I wouldn't want to use the IE300 without EQ. It has basically too much treble for me. The IE900, I like without EQ, though the treble can also have some sizzle to it. So depending on the music I may like to reduce the treble a bit as well.
If you don't shy away from EQ the IE300 looks like a good value. So let's see how my impressions will change over the next couple of days.
What are your peq settings for the 300?

Jun 27, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #1,427 of 4,804
Quick Update. After some time I found a way the Medium Silicone Stock Tips fit good. I think they are essential for me since I can't handle Treble well on IEM's, which is funny since the HD 800S is my daily driver. I still don't like the cable. It transmits too many noises. And the Passive Isolation is also not the best.

Jun 27, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #1,428 of 4,804
What are your peq settings for the 300?
LS: -2dB ,100hz, Q:0,5
Peak: -4dB, 200hz, Q:0,5
Peak: +4dB ,3000hz, Q:0,7
HS: -5dB, 5000hz, Q:0,6

I think the IE900 has as well too much treble energy for my taste. It sounds impressive but distracting. This is not so much a problem for classical and instrumental music but for my electronic music.

Jun 27, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #1,429 of 4,804
Trying out Spiral Dot++ tonight and working very well, I just got them this week and being using on MEST MKII.

Some macro shots of the Brise Cable, it really is beautiful - I was impressed to read in the included leaflet that they are handmade.

20210626_214733.jpg

20210626_214907.jpg

20210626_215119.jpg

20210626_214931.jpg

20210626_215159.jpg

20210626_215228.jpg

Ohhh wow that looks so neet. This a very high end cable look and feel congratulations!

So how does it sound 😍🤩😛 you forgot to tell us 🤣😂

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #1,432 of 4,804
Very incisive review by a Japanese blogger here, who is always a pleasure to read (and to my mind trustworthy source). In Japanese, but Google Translate is your friend.
Thanks for the reference-- it was a good read, and the G Translate resulted in very natural English (in my case).... I wonder if the author has something to do with that result.

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #1,433 of 4,804
Thanks for the reference-- it was a good read, and the G Translate resulted in very natural English (in my case).... I wonder if the author has something to do with that result.
I don't read Japanese but I suspect he probably does play a part, as all his reviews read very coherently even with Google Translate. Maybe a native Japanese speaker has some insight here?

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #1,434 of 4,804
I don't read Japanese but I suspect he probably does play a part, as all his reviews read very coherently even with Google Translate. Maybe a native Japanese speaker has some insight here?

Good reviewer. I check it often. The language and tone used is quite formal and common style in many product reviews in Japanese. This style would probably be one the first candidate style to get the machine translation correct, so it’s no surprise it’s coming out natural.

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #1,435 of 4,804
Quick Update. After some time I found a way the Medium Silicone Stock Tips fit good. I think they are essential for me since I can't handle Treble well on IEM's, which is funny since the HD 800S is my daily driver. I still don't like the cable. It transmits too many noises. And the Passive Isolation is also not the best.
What way is that?

Jun 27, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #1,436 of 4,804
I found the silicone tips do transmit more cable noise than the Comply tips I usually use when I tried the included tips for the first time earlier today.

So for me the Comply tips are a win-win-win, less cable noise, better isolation and great sound. I would recommend trying them even if they don't usually work for you.

Jun 27, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #1,437 of 4,804
I think the IE900 has as well too much treble energy for my taste. It sounds impressive but distracting. This is not so much a problem for classical and instrumental music but for my electronic music.

This is exactly how I felt, initially. A bit "distracting" in the upper range. Have you tried the foam tips? I think they maintain the best tonal balance.

Jun 27, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #1,438 of 4,804
I found the silicone tips do transmit more cable noise than the Comply tips I usually use when I tried the included tips for the first time earlier today.

So for me the Comply tips are a win-win-win, less cable noise, better isolation and great sound. I would recommend trying them even if they don't usually work for you.

Agreed - I've generally been quick to toss foam tips aside with other IEMs, typically made them just too warm or even muddy. Absolutely not the case here, no matter how many other tips I try, I keep coming back to some variation of foam - be it stock, Comply or Symbio (my current favourite).

Jun 27, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #1,439 of 4,804
Ohhh wow that looks so neet. This a very high end cable look and feel congratulations!

So how does it sound 😍🤩😛 you forgot to tell us 🤣😂

Ok, prepare to have your mind blown 🤪

So, I tried to suppress a sense of buyers remorse to myself let alone publicly when Brise arrived in all its beautiful handmade glory last Wednesday. I popped off the IE900 from the stock cable with my trusty Final MMCX removal tool and dipped in briefly while on a break from work - I was greeted with not only what seemed a dip in volume but also a brief pause between hitting play and the sound reaching my eardrums. In addition, they sounded brighter to the point of harsh and sibilant - oh and aside from that, quite flat, lacking the punch of bass I've loved so much for weeks...

I tried to tell myself it's in my head (literally, I know), buyers remorse a painful thing when you've forked out a few hundred on a cable, something I've never done and often scratched my head when I read reviews on cables - how the heck can a cable do all of these wonderful things so eloquently described in reviews? But I jumped in, it looked amazing and rave reviews for Brise circulate Head-Fi and others - I figured I might as well, they are by far the best IEM I've discovered on this journey so far and my endgame* in so many ways.

I have heard about cable burn-in and whatever about the potential for differences in sound, the idea that a cable with no moving parts might need this just didn't make sense. But - in for a penny, in for a pound and I should kick on with the recommendations, going further to ask Brise Audio themselves - a prompt reply:

Screenshot_20210625-150936_Gmail.jpg

Since then, it's been hooked up to my ZX300 pretty much around the clock, with the IE900 attached, may as well clock up more hours here also.

Result? As of yesterday in particular, they sound absolutely stunning - excess brightness gone along with associated complexities. The wonderful sound of the IE900 is back in full force, maybe even more but I'll need to a/b, they've not been back on stock since.

I'm on holiday next week and naturally plan lots of listening and further testing.

I absolutely love them and delighted that initial slightly stomach churing issue has gone away - to include that slight pause before the music started, which by the way my OCD kicked in and tried several tracks that first day, all with the same issue.

Will I be further amazed and notice more sound difference? I'm confident I will, and if so, a fully fledged cable convert!

Oh and I really can't see how brain burn-in might be applicable, the difference was significant and very obvious.

Anyway, thats my story - I hope no can of worms pops open, this is what I experienced :)

*till end of 2021 anyway...

PS, I might sell my story to Black Mirror or similar, such is the lack of scientific evidence it appears to support these situations! 🙃

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 27, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #1,440 of 4,804
Ok, prepare to have your mind blown 🤪

So, I tried to suppress a sense of buyers remorse to myself let alone publicly when Brise arrived in all its beautiful handmade glory last Wednesday. I popped off the IE900 from the stock cable with my trusty Final MMCX removal tool and dipped in briefly while on a break from work - I was greeted with not only what seemed a dip in volume but also a brief pause between hitting play and the sound reaching my eardrums. In addition, they sounded brighter to the point of harsh and sibilant - oh and aside from that, quite flat, lacking the punch of bass I've loved so much for weeks...

I tried to tell myself it's in my head (literally, I know), buyers remorse a painful thing when you've forked out a few hundred on a cable, something I've never done and often scratched my head when I read reviews on cables - how the heck can a cable do all of these wonderful things so eloquently described in reviews? But I jumped in, it looked amazing and rave reviews for Brise circulate Head-Fi and others - I figured I might as well, they are by far the best IEM I've discovered on this journey so far and my endgame* in so many ways.

I have heard about cable burn-in and whatever about the potential for differences in sound, the idea that a cable with no moving parts might need this just didn't make sense. But - in for a penny, in for a pound and I should kick on with the recommendations, going further to ask Brise Audio themselves - a prompt reply:

Screenshot_20210625-150936_Gmail.jpg

Since then, it's been hooked up to my ZX300 pretty much around the clock, with the IE900 attached, may as well clock up more hours here also.

Result? As of yesterday in particular, they sound absolutely stunning - excess brightness gone along with associated complexities. The wonderful sound of the IE900 is back in full force, maybe even more but I'll need to a/b, they've not been back on stock since.

I'm on holiday next week and naturally plan lots of listening and further testing.

I absolutely love them and delighted that initial slightly stomach churing issue has gone away - to include that slight pause before the music started, which by the my OCD kicked in and tried several tracks that first day, all with the same issue.

Will I be further amazed and notice more sound difference? I'm confident I will, and if so, a fully fledged cable convert!

Oh and I really can't see how brain burn-in might be applicable, the difference was significant and very obvious.

Anyway, thats my story - I hope no can of worms pops open, this is what I experienced :)

*till end of 2021 anyway...

PS, I might sell my story to Black Mirror or similar, such is the lack of scientific evidence it appears to support these situations! 🙃
Good to hear it worked out! I'm not a great believer in burn in for cables but I do find it makes a difference with Brise.

On the pause between playing and hearing, that sounds odd and ive never heard of a cable making that difference. Did it clear up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back