Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
May 30, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #511 of 4,798
On a second day of listening, i'm starting to really appreciate what Sennheiser did with IE900.
It's not "OMG!!SO MUCH BASS!" for me anymore, i guess my brain has adjusted to it after all-BA sets i usually use, and now bass, while still elevated, sounds much more in line with the rest of the spectrum, and everything is just so alive, full and dynamic, it's incredible really how such tiny iems can sound so big.
I'm not ready yet to make any comparisons and rankings, but i'm keeping these for sure :L3000: .

May 30, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #512 of 4,798
On a second day of listening, i'm starting to really appreciate what Sennheiser did with IE900.
It's not "OMG!!SO MUCH BASS!" for me anymore, i guess my brain has adjusted to it after all-BA sets i usually use, and now bass, while still elevated, sounds much more in line with the rest of the spectrum, and everything is just so alive, full and dynamic, it's incredible really how such tiny iems can sound so big.
I'm not ready yet to make any comparisons and rankings, but i'm keeping these for sure :L3000: .
So you arw on the road to start looking for a new iem ?

May 30, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #513 of 4,798
So you arw on the road to start looking for a new iem ?
Haha, not yet, i've told myself again that this one is the last and i need to stop for real now.
But deleting head-fi account is the only way i'm afraid, and i'm not ready to do this yet :)

May 30, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #514 of 4,798
It's not "OMG!!SO MUCH BASS!"
I would say, it's seems like the Xelento .. which is not a very good news for me.

I was hopping EQ would not be necessary to give less muddy low frequencies and much clearer faster and deeper impacts in low and ultra low frequencies.

The IER-Z1R, though it needs some EQ too to reduce low frequencies, can produce those amazing impacts in the ultra low frequencies (lower than 40/50hz) the Xelento can't give=> it is still a bit muddy most of the time in those ranges even after EQ.
UPS told me that I will get on tuesday my IE900, I am still hoping the IE 900 won't be muddy in ultra low frequencies and can compete with the IER-Z1R with a much better form factor for my ears.

May 30, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #515 of 4,798
I would say, it's seems like the Xelento .. which is not a very good news for me.

I was hopping EQ would not be necessary to give less muddy low frequencies and much clearer faster and deeper impacts in low and ultra low frequencies.

The IER-Z1R, though it needs some EQ too to reduce low frequencies, can produce those amazing impacts in the ultra low frequencies (lower than 40/50hz) the Xelento can't give=> it is still a bit muddy most of the time in those ranges even after EQ.
UPS told me that I will get on tuesday my IE900, I am still hoping the IE 900 won't be muddy in ultra low frequencies and can compete with the IER-Z1R with a much better form factor for my ears.
Had you bothered to check out crin’s free repository, you would have been less concerned about it being xelento like, if anything, FR wise, it tracks much closer to z1r (but less lower treble, a common concern with shallow insertion) than the upper bass heavy xelento B0B71023-AC7E-439F-93B1-094DB1801B4A.jpeg5E2D479A-7F40-4303-9549-05FA54FFD3CF.jpeg

May 30, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #516 of 4,798
Had you bothered to check out crin’s free repository, you would have been less concerned about it being xelento like
FR can give you a rough idea of what to expect, but in the end if you perceive it as muddy, or sharp, or unbalanced in any other way is only for you to decide, so it's great that Sennheiser gives us an option of returning these withing 60 days.

I'm actually looking forward to more critical reviews and reports from people who don't like these, would be interesting to hear why.

May 30, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #517 of 4,798
Had you bothered to check out crin’s free repository, you would have been less concerned about it being xelento like, if anything, FR wise, it tracks much closer to z1r (but less lower treble, a common concern with shallow insertion) than the upper bass heavy xelento

I saw that ... but unfortunately .. "muddy" low and ultra low frequencies are not only concerned with frequencies response..
But, probably, more with some other more important factors around speed, amortization of the driver or maybe even "resonator chambers and acoustic vortex" of the sound, which are never measured or is even not at all measurable by Crinacle and others ..

Though, I almost PEQ all my headpones and IEM, I look just a little iEM's response curves... I feel better to find by myself with my own ears were I need to make some last adjustments to get less muddy sound by adjusting PEQ (as I can't do anything with other factors, but hopefully Sennheiser did it).
2 days to wait my new IE900

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #519 of 4,798
I’d also consider burn in, in particular a DD. It can take some time for the driver, magnet, et al to run in and fully settle. I’ve often heard IEMs that are quite bass heavy (and a little wooly) out of the gates settle in terms of thickness, control, and speed.

May 30, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #520 of 4,798

I'm not sure if you misread the quote: he says "*not* so much bass"....?

May 30, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #521 of 4,798
IMG-20210530-170632.jpg

I couldn't really get a good seal, and consequently isolation on the IE900. And by changing the tips, and taking the foam cubes inside the attached to them, the bass got louder, and at the same time the treble got elevated as well. Especially the 7kHz region, the hi-hats and cymbals got too crisp to my liking. YMMV of course. But I think it's worth noting for those sensitive in that area. The trough/dip after 2kHz too made the vocals sounded dimmed or veiled to my ears. And although by changing the tips, it did got brighter by a slight lift, it still had that bit of 'nasal' quality to it compared to more neutral monitors. After several tries, I guess the IE900 wasn't for me then.

May 30, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #522 of 4,798
I'm not sure if you misread the quote: he says "*not* so much bass"....?
Sorry .... you are right, I totally misunderstood his sentence... I was afraid it was speaking of a basshead headphone... which is not the case.
Again sorry !

May 30, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #523 of 4,798
IMG-20210530-170632.jpg

I couldn't really get a good seal, and consequently isolation on the IE900. And by changing the tips, and taking the foam cubes inside the attached to them, the bass got louder, and at the same time the treble got elevated as well. Especially the 7kHz region, the hi-hats and cymbals got too crisp to my liking. YMMV of course. But I think it's worth noting for those sensitive in that area. The trough/dip after 2kHz too made the vocals sounded dimmed or veiled to my ears. And although by changing the tips, it did got brighter by a slight lift, it still had that bit of 'nasal' quality to it compared to more neutral monitors. After several tries, I guess the IE900 wasn't for me then.
The way I've always approached Senns IEMs has never been like other models, the Senn do not need to go deep in the ear, think of them as headphone, don't shove them in, it'll feel like they are not fully in, but they will find their place. It's hard to explain, but but just in case you did some pushing amd rotating yo get a seal, this never worked for me, hope it helps as I'm sure you've not heard them to full potential and it'll be a shame to return before you do👍🍻

May 30, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #524 of 4,798
Welcome to the #ie900club ! Can't wait to hear some more impressions from you.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 30, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #525 of 4,798
I couldn't really get a good seal, and consequently isolation on the IE900. And by changing the tips, and taking the foam cubes inside the attached to them, the bass got louder, and at the same time the treble got elevated as well.
Neither stock cable nor stock tips worked for me as well.
But with Alo Silver Litz cable (modified, it will not work otherwise!) comfort has improved a lot, and after some tip rolling i'm using Ortofon tips, they allow for a semi shallow fit. Xelento tips are ok too, but then it gets very shallow and not secure enough in my ears.

ie900.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back