Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Feb 10, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #3,181 of 4,735
You can use the foam inserts from stock tips to reduce treble slightly. You can also stick it at position 1. Besides that, I believe eartips such as the Final E and Sony Hybrids help reduce treble too but the lows and mids will get affected.
Thanks - sorry to appear dumb, but how would I use the foam inserts from the stock tips - not really sure what you mean by 'foam insert'?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #3,182 of 4,735
Ya sizing is different and the colors :smile: Well actually I just tried switching to the 07 again with position 1 and I find it better overall than the 08. Help, I can't seem to settle on an eartip for the IE900:sweat_smile:
Settle on one and don't swap. The 07s haven't left the IE 900 for months now.
Just got the ie900 to go with my ZX507. Lovely combo, but I agree that tip rolling could be drawn out... None of the stock tips, large or small, fit my ears. My best solution from the many tips I've accumulated over the years so far are the larger Symbios without the foam inserts (which hurt my ears) - they give a really good seal, but may be just a bit trebly (my 900s only have about 40 hours on them, so their qualities may still change ).

Happy to take any suggestions for a warmish sounding silicon tip that could tame that treble just a touch.
As above, AET 07, 08 or SD were all more comfortable and better sounding than stock for me. Final E are comfortable and attenuate treble, but mess up the mids on almost any IEM I've used them with, including IE 900. Might work for you though. Tips are relatively cheap and easy to try on for size, fit and sound. Well worth the time and money to get it right - too many have given up on the IE 900 too soon by losing patience.

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #3,184 of 4,735
You can remove them by using a tweezer from the inside. It is a circular shaped foam. You can then place it in any of your preferred eartips.
Ah, thanks. I've used the foam from my Symbios for a similar effect. The firmer ear tip really hurts my left ear canal though, as it's slightly smaller that my right. What we'll suffer...

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #3,186 of 4,735
Ah, thanks. I've used the foam from my Symbios for a similar effect. The firmer ear tip really hurts my left ear canal though, as it's slightly smaller that my right. What we'll suffer...
We all have different sizes for left and right ear. It is a pain that we have to face all the time and given how tip sensitive the IE900 is, I myself cannot stop trying out other eartips all the time. It is fun discovering what other eartips sound like anyway 🤣 Just be patient with it. I find the IE900 is amazing once you have your preferred eartips. And not to mention how small, light and comfortable the IE900 is. IMO, it is the best overall iem right now. I sold all my other iems right after getting the IE900. That’s how good it is.
Have you tried this with the 07s? I might do so...
Nope I feel treble is fine with the way it is. Position 1 is just awesome with the AET07. I find it amusing how insertion depth with the IE900 can affect its sound quite significantly.

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #3,187 of 4,735

Recently found this track and I either skip it or lower the volume on the IE900. Just too much for my ears and nothing I did can fix the peaky treble. It starts at 1:45 mark until near the end. Rarely I encounter these kinds of tracks. Just wanted to share and see what you guys think of it.

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #3,188 of 4,735

Recently found this track and I either skip it or lower the volume on the IE900. Just too much for my ears and nothing I did can fix the peaky treble. It starts at 1:45 mark until near the end. Rarely I encounter these kinds of tracks. Just wanted to share and see what you guys think of it.
This is not the first time I've come across a track featuring Nevve that's bright, sibilant and compressed/loud. I know a few folks around here that LOVE this type of music and buy their IEMs based on how smoothly they're able to play it. Here's another more extreme example:

Screenshot 2022-02-10 at 15.27.17.png

Track link: https://tidal.com/browse/album/101775367

These tracks are a bit of a meme now because of how extreme they are. That said, while it's very intense, I quite like it from time to time, and it's not terrible on the IE 900 (though the treble peaks on the track and the compression have nowhere to hide). You should try this on IEMs with elevated upper mids/lower treble...

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #3,189 of 4,735
I am not sure if this is true but I feel like most people who are struggling with the silicone stock tips are jamming the IEM in with a twisting motion or shoving them in too deep.
I open my ear canal up by pulling on my ear and drop them in the right spot where they aren’t compressed yet and then when I let go of my ear lobe, they will naturally compress and form a fit just fine.
I should note I also struggled a lot with them in the early days but once I mastered this, they are by far the most comfortable ones!

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #3,191 of 4,735
Correct - the OG. I'm really enjoying them - find the sound exceptionally full, with fantastic separation.
I’m using the ++ and it’s absolutely magical. The soundstage even rivaled my open back headphones and it tames the treble enough for my tastes. I tried 07 but the treble is still a bit too hot for me.

Feb 10, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #3,192 of 4,735
Love my IE 800S, would like to test these to see if it's worth the upgrade.
I’ve owned all the Sennheiser in ear flagships and rate em as such:

IE800 - 8.2/10
IE800S - 8/10
IE900 - 9.4/10

It’s quite an upgrade really!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 10, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #3,193 of 4,735
I normally like my IEM to have a wide soundstage. and I can feel the impact of the bass due to driver displacement (Simphonio VR1).

IE900 soundstage is not the widest amongst my dynamic driver IEM, but it images better than almost all of them. And that pair with how ear-friendly they are, is the reason why I'm keeping them.

Feb 10, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #3,194 of 4,735
I normally like my IEM to have a wide soundstage. and I can feel the impact of the bass due to driver displacement (Simphonio VR1).

IE900 soundstage is not the widest amongst my dynamic driver IEM, but it images better than almost all of them. And that pair with how ear-friendly they are, is the reason why I'm keeping them.
The "total package" aspect of the IE 900 is also why I remain in lurv with them. Look, there is always going to be something that sounds "better"; looks "better"; fits "better"....but anything that will beat the IE 900 in all those aspects? For **my** needs/wants, highly doubtful any time soon.

Feb 10, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #3,195 of 4,735
The "total package" aspect of the IE 900 is also why I remain in lurv with them. Look, there is always going to be something that sounds "better"; looks "better"; fits "better"....but anything that will beat the IE 900 in all those aspects? For **my** needs/wants, highly doubtful any time soon.
This exactly. While competitors are busy using multiple drivers technology to get the best sound, Sennheiser is focusing more on consumer experience. Sound is not everything to me as I value convenience highly as well. This ‘package’ has been what I have been pursuing. It is why I don’t go for headphones but IEMs for their form factor. I was also a loyal Shure user because their IEMs are so comfortable and they sound amazing too until the IE900 beat them. This is why they are world-class companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back