Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Aug 29, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #2,176 of 4,800
Just took my first plunge into “expensive IEM” territory and bought the IE 900’s last night! Upgrading from the IE 80 S which I know had a very mixed reception, especially compared to these, so I’m super stoked!

Being less familiar with IEM’s of this category, is a DAC/AMP necessary to drive them effectively and get the best sound? I’m using an iPhone and that’s likely where I’ll listen to all my music with these IEM’s so I ordered a FiiO BTR5 as well. Thoughts on if this is worth it to go alongside these IEM’s or if they’d sound just as good using the lightning dongle?

The choice of IEMs determine 95%+ of the sound signature unless you have a really poor source... Of course we still spend money on higher-end sources and think it sounds better... :sunglasses:

Aug 29, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #2,177 of 4,800
Just took my first plunge into “expensive IEM” territory and bought the IE 900’s last night! Upgrading from the IE 80 S which I know had a very mixed reception, especially compared to these, so I’m super stoked!

Being less familiar with IEM’s of this category, is a DAC/AMP necessary to drive them effectively and get the best sound? I’m using an iPhone and that’s likely where I’ll listen to all my music with these IEM’s so I ordered a FiiO BTR5 as well. Thoughts on if this is worth it to go alongside these IEM’s or if they’d sound just as good using the lightning dongle?
A factor is that you cannot get the BTR5's max bitrate (LDAC) on an iPhone. The max bitrate you'll be able to get is 256 kbps (AAC). That's a bit limiting for a $1300 IEM to me, but to each their own of course.

Aug 29, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #2,178 of 4,800
A factor is that you cannot get the BTR5's max bitrate (LDAC) on an iPhone. The max bitrate you'll be able to get is 256 kbps (AAC). That's a bit limiting for a $1300 IEM to me, but to each their own of course.
As a USB DAC the BTR5 goes to 32/384 and DSD256. I use it frequently with my iPhone. It's nice that it has an internal battery and doesn't drain the phone as well...

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #2,179 of 4,800
I’ve just received my ie 900 yesterday .. I’ll make a more detailed feedback after a small burnin honey moon but right of the box with the AK SE 200 :

- IT IS THE FIRST TIME ever with an earphone, I’m not immediately a bit disappointed by something (whatever : sibilants, fronting or kind of honky mids, bass a bit slow or missing texture etc) and this clearly reveals a rather very good allrounders

- laidback but powerful - I was looking for that

- excellent and inoffensive signature while having very good resolution and imaging -

- and the bass… be a jazz, classic, hip hop, rock, THIS IS THE KIND OF BASS you want on a iem especially coming from big hi-fi set up .. it’s quite perfect for me in quantity/quality .. very good speed and impact

- the small dip in high mid (i was curious about that) is absolutely not the beginning of an issue as i tend to prefer a bit remote/not in your face mids

- the coherency.. I’m talking of this unexplainable sensation of naturalness you « feel » with one driver -every track of the mix playing the same space with same time envelope from Dow to low (so easy to ear with a piano solo recording) .. obsession? May be but I instantly feel it each time .. it generate a very good depth and 3D in front of you presentation.. very very good

i had a bit more technical skills on my aure audio elixir but not sure.. the rapsodio silver wizard cable added quite a bit to the transparency .. got to take time for comparing with my earsonics and audio techbica

not a waow but only majestic and encompassing presentation with excellent technicalities

the best fit is with classic Sedna but in first place with the RADIUS eartips (L)

i really can’t tell about the price/ratio but it’s a huge surprise I’ve not experienced oftenly .. the « it is very good but » experience which leads to search something else eventually.. nothing can hurt you in this earphones and it’s definitely a high end listening that can existwith other more « fronty » or specialized signature .. but beware of this addictive « l’air de rien » .. and that baaaaaaassssss

totaly a keeper for me at this step

the cable sucks for comfort .. not a big deal

And thanks to SEN FRANCE .. i know you struggle to save me a pair with my favorite retailer .. 🙏

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #2,185 of 4,800
I'm really curious how this new model would be compared to my IE 800S. Guys, could tell me anyone something about that?

Ie800 models have more of a hrtf effect, but at the cost of sounding relatively less energetic and relatively less overall details.

ie800 though is nice for things like gaming and movies from that hrtf presentation I get from it; less so for music.

(I am referring to the ie800 and not ie800S.)

Also notice the use of the word relatively. Less detail, but the ability to focus to the imaging and directional cues in the ie800 is nice; going back to that hrtf effect I keep referring to.

The ie900 have good timbre in some parts, but I don't find the ie900 "life like"; the ie900 are too "fatigueless" to be so. But definitely a good all rounder.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #2,186 of 4,800
I’ve just received my ie 900 yesterday .. I’ll make a more detailed feedback after a small burnin honey moon but right of the box with the AK SE 200 :

- IT IS THE FIRST TIME ever with an earphone, I’m not immediately a bit disappointed by something (whatever : sibilants, fronting or kind of honky mids, bass a bit slow or missing texture etc) and this clearly reveals a rather very good allrounders

- laidback but powerful - I was looking for that

- excellent and inoffensive signature while having very good resolution and imaging -

- and the bass… be a jazz, classic, hip hop, rock, THIS IS THE KIND OF BASS you want on a iem especially coming from big hi-fi set up .. it’s quite perfect for me in quantity/quality .. very good speed and impact

- the small dip in high mid (i was curious about that) is absolutely not the beginning of an issue as i tend to prefer a bit remote/not in your face mids

- the coherency.. I’m talking of this unexplainable sensation of naturalness you « feel » with one driver -every track of the mix playing the same space with same time envelope from Dow to low (so easy to ear with a piano solo recording) .. obsession? May be but I instantly feel it each time .. it generate a very good depth and 3D in front of you presentation.. very very good

i had a bit more technical skills on my aure audio elixir but not sure.. the rapsodio silver wizard cable added quite a bit to the transparency .. got to take time for comparing with my earsonics and audio techbica

not a waow but only majestic and encompassing presentation with excellent technicalities

the best fit is with classic Sedna but in first place with the RADIUS eartips (L)

i really can’t tell about the price/ratio but it’s a huge surprise I’ve not experienced oftenly .. the « it is very good but » experience which leads to search something else eventually.. nothing can hurt you in this earphones and it’s definitely a high end listening that can existwith other more « fronty » or specialized signature .. but beware of this addictive « l’air de rien » .. and that baaaaaaassssss

totaly a keeper for me at this step

the cable sucks for comfort .. not a big deal

And thanks to SEN FRANCE .. i know you struggle to save me a pair with my favorite retailer .. 🙏
Great feedback, thank you. Very similar to my experience. Everything just sounded natural and 'correct' on first listen, very life-like and importantly 'life size' sound too. Easily the price/performance benchmark for high-end IEMs in 2021.

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #2,187 of 4,800
As far as I feel free to compare apple and orange the ie 900 reminds me the sound of the closed back DENON AD9200 .. just saying

Great feedback, thank you. Very similar to my experience. Everything just sounded natural and 'correct' on first listen, very life-like and importantly 'life size' sound too. Easily the price/performance benchmark for high-end IEMs in 2021.
I’m so please to feedback and I must state that what I expected to ear is perfectly matching your and others feedbacks .. that is great for a blind buy
Worth mentioning !

I'm glad to hear that. How about the soundstage? (I'm going to listen the sound of this brand new miracle in a week.)
I don’t know if it’s a miracle .. honestly i don’t consider substantial revolution in audio since ten years and I was not expecting for and can be an « unquenchable » quest :) but definitely a high end sound that will globally challenge every genre.. coming from ie 800s you can’t be disappointed

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #2,188 of 4,800
Before I heard IE900 last week I didn't believe Sennheiser was capable of this... You see I bought IE80S as my first "audiophile iem" (for me at that time at least) when I was in uni and I was thoroughly disappointed. So when news of IE900 came out I wasn't really interested.

Last week I went to an audio shop to demo another iem but wasn't impressed. Then I saw they also had IE900 and decided what's the harm in hearing it anyway. Boy was I surprised. I was expecting a "warm (muddy)" Senn signature sound I had in my image, but I was struck by the instant moment of clarity. The imaging and staging were the best I've heard in a DD iem, and shall we talk about the bass... its texture and feel were nothing short of mesmorising. I understand upper register can appear a bit hot for some, but I can appreciate the tuning there as I really don't like recessed treble (I wish Traillie didn't have the dip at around 6k). The foam tips are actually the best foam I've used, really changed my opinion on foam tips (I've tried Symbio F and Comply). As of now I am already searching for where I can order more. If someone knows please comment :)

Overall great job Senn, it's really lovely and rare to be that surprised in this hobby. And yes I purchased a set the very moment I heard it, and have been enjoying it till this day.

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #2,189 of 4,800
I'm really curious how this new model would be compared to my IE 800S. Guys, could tell me anyone something about that?

I A/B-d them at the Sennheiser store. The IE900’s substantially better. They have a similar tuning profile; the IE800S is just a little more lower treble oriented at around 6kHz like the HD800S. But there’s major differences in technicalities. IE800S’s bass is pretty mediocre (like sub-$200 level) and it’s dynamics are way flatter. That’s why I was quite impressed with the IE900 too. If someone was thinking about IE800S, I’d honestly say just drop the extra $300 for the IE900.

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #2,190 of 4,800
Man, can't wait for my pair to come (backordered til the end of Sept). Sounds like it was a good move to trade in my IE800S, which the IE900 sounds like is an improved version of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back