Sennheiser IE8's ~~ Should I just jump righ in?
Nov 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

taylorpoz

Head-Fier
Hey all!

I started a thread a week or two ago asking about custom IEM's, but ive decided to go universal for now, considering that im far from being done growing and the fact that i am relatively new to headphoning (new word?).

So ive searched around and have looked at reviews for headphones all across the spectrum. From what ive read, the IE8's seem to match what im looking for in SQ the best, but honestly i dont know entirely what i want, mainly because the list of actual products that ive liscened to is a small and insignificant list =P. Right now i use ATH M50's and Skullcandy FMJ's.

If i decide to get the IE8's, they will be a christmas gift from my parents.

So, should i go ahead and jump to the top in getting the IE8's? or explore with some lower end models and figure out exactly what sound i like the most? My reasoning in going for the IE8's is that if i can get something from my parents for christmas, why not go for the nicest piece of hardware in my bug get instead of a lower model?

Any and all responses are appreciated!!

Thanks to All.
Taylor

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 19
Part of me says yes, if you have the chance to get them, go ahead and do so.  The other part of me says no, because you won't really have enough experience to fully appreciate what you're listening to.  I don't know, tough call.

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 19
Taylor, that is a tough question to answer, but I would as a general rule, recommend starting as high up on the IEM (full-size) quality/price chain as you can comfortably afford.  

I own the IE8s myself, and paid about $300 with shipping for them.  I paid a little more than that for my HD650s plus almost as much again for a replacement cable.  If I had to choose between the two based on SQ alone, it would be a tough call, as they are both very smooth sounding.  Clearly the IE8 though has a wider soundstage.  

To critique the IE8s, some people have stated that the bass somewhat muddies the mids, but at least at their lowest bass setting, I have not personally noticed this.

All in all, I can't imagine a newcomer to headphones not really liking the IE8s, so I would say go for it if it seems to match what you are looking for based on what you have read.  The IE8s also have a replaceable cable which I think is a great feature - as accidents happen!

One last point, they are going to sound very different depending on the fit of the different tips - so don't be disappointed if the first tips you try don't sound the way you had hoped they would because you are not getting a good fit.

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.  Cheers.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 19
@ Merlin. my thoughts exactly
@ RidleyGuy. thanks for the info! i think ive decided to go for the highest-end that i can get. and like fallen angel said, i now have to affirm that the IE8's will match my preferences vs competitors

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 19
just go right in at this price you really cant go wrong the competitors w3 se530 tf10 is just a matter of tiny preference i have the ie8s and to sum them up i would say they have great bass impact, soundstage and are laid back

however i highly suggest you invest in some monster tips because the ie8 isolation is horrid with provided tips

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 19
Hi taylorpoz, welcome to head fi. I think XxMerlinxX makes some valid points and I also share his/her ambivalence. Despite the highly subjective nature of this hobby, it's also a connoisseurship exercise. While reading the reviews here, you may be lead to believe that the differences between respective headphones are unequivocal or absolute distinctions, while in fact, they may be entirely subtle. This may have the effect of leaving the relative novice grossly disappointed with the purchase. So sometimes in order to truly relish  what you have, you may need to gain some experience, which is one of the reasons I also am yet to invest in Customs. Experimenting can help you to establish your preferences and arguably just as important, your dislikes. However, philandering in the Audio World could be quite costly haha.

Depending on the price you have to pay for them, I can recommend the IE8 if you don't mind:
Shallow insertion and Relatively poor to fairly good isolation when compared with most IEMs.
Mid bass hump and as a consequence a warm sound and soft yet detailed and extended treble
Romanticized and laid back presentation that focus more on "getting you into the music" rather than scrupulously analyzing it.
Relatively "big" soundstage within the realm of IEMs.

Obviously, the list above is by no means exhaustive and in the end, no amount of reading on the forum is substitute to hearing them yourself. I am afraid, that only you can make that decision. I've owned quite a number of IEMs and the only one I own now is the IE8. That's not necessarily because it sounds best, as there are some blatant weaknesses. It's more so because it presents the music in a natural, "wholistic", and coherent manner that I seriously dig.

P.S Let us know of your decision.

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 19
I stopped in at 32 Ohm/ALO Audio Wednesday and Thursday to A/B my HJE 900's to the many "Top Tier"'s they have. The IE8's were one of my favorites. If anyone lives near Portland, you owe it to yourself to stop in. They have most of the "best" IEM's and headphones out there. They even have JH13 and 16's.

BTW, the HJE's held there ground against most of the best. IMHO.

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 19
@ honeyboy. i very much appreciate the advice, and you make a strong and very valid point. If i jump straight into the high-end, i may not realize the true greatness of what i am liscening to because i never had a chance to fully familiarize myself with the low/middle end. If you had to suggest a couple of pairs of earphones that out-perform a pair of skullcandy FMJ's (i was oblivious to the REAL headphone world when i purchased those) but would still allow me to play around with different styles of SQ without breaking the bank, what would you suggest? And when i do decide what to get, i will be sure to let yall know
biggrin.gif

@ matchuk. If i do go with the IE8's, i will definitely invest in a new pair of tips, because yes, from what i have read, it will make a huge difference in the way they sound and feel, comfort wise.

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 19

I have the Fischer Audio Silver Bullets and while I have never heard the IE8's, on this forum they have been compared to the IE8's and are said to have a very similar sound signature, so if you want something similar I would recommend them. I have em and they are great, still burning in. I would also recommend the Panasonic HJE900 though you will see alot of divided opinioso about it. Both very good and much cheaper than the IE8's 

Quote:
@ honeyboy. i very much appreciate the advice, and you make a strong and very valid point. If i jump straight into the high-end, i may not realize the true greatness of what i am liscening to because i never had a chance to fully familiarize myself with the low/middle end. If you had to suggest a couple of pairs of earphones that out-perform a pair of skullcandy FMJ's (i was oblivious to the REAL headphone world when i purchased those) but would still allow me to play around with different styles of SQ without breaking the bank, what would you suggest? And when i do decide what to get, i will be sure to let yall know
biggrin.gif

@ matchuk. If i do go with the IE8's, i will definitely invest in a new pair of tips, because yes, from what i have read, it will make a huge difference in the way they sound and feel, comfort wise.

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #12 of 19
i will admit i do love my bass haha, but not so much that it overpowers the mids and highs

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
biggrin.gif

taylorpoz, what's the price point at which you can get the IE8 and what source will you be using them with? Despite my earlier mention of some caveats to directly investing in a "top tier" IEM, I am at this point still more inclined to suggesting you go all out and get the IE8. If, for the one reason that I am a very biased fellow, but more so because you've indicated that "it"(The IE8) "seem to match what im looking for in SQ the best". I'd rather you trust your instincts and assessment than mine or any other headfier for that matter. Moreover, I think that if you so happen to dislike the IE8, you'll be better able to recuperate more funds from your purchase by reselling them here than one of the less well known and perhaps less "reputable". Also by directly investing in a "top tier" you'd not have to be always wondering how they sound.I am not particularly familiar with the Skullcandy FMJ's. Hence, any suggestions for headphones that would topple them would be a conjecture at best. I've heard good things about the Fischer DBA- 02 and the Radius DDM was quite decent when I had them. In short, what am trying to say is that if you have the means to getting the IE8s then go for it.Just set some realistic expectations and you'd be smiling wider than Santa for Christmas haha. Whilst it may be good to have gained some experience, I am way less worried about you not liking them because you may not know what to look for than I am of you having unrealistic expectations because of the impressions you've read from us melodramatic headfiers!

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 19
my source will mainly be my iphone + FiiO E5 but occasionally my laptop + E5.  I think im pretty much decided on going for the IE8's after reading that last post, honey boy, but theres still plenty time to search the forums for some more opinions and change my mind haha.  just out of curiosity, what source do you use with your IE8's and what amp if any? Would it be worth the investment for a better portable amp, or will the E5 suffice?

Nov 21, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #15 of 19
Careful with the IE8s in public places, the isolation can become an issue. I have stopped using them in public places. Also I found that they are very sensitive to poor recordings, if your recordings lack detail the bass of the IE8s will drown out the the music with their bass, and this added to the poor isolation does not provide a good listening situation in public places. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back