Sennheiser IE80s vs. Utimate Ears UE900?
Sep 27, 2012 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

snappyaxolotl

100+ Head-Fier
Let me start off by saying I'm looking for a pair of headphones, did my research, and found the Sennheiser IE80s. They seem to defeat the competition IMO and for my requirements. Then, I found the Ultimate Ears UE900, which seems to fit my price range. Here is a little background on me:

-I use ear-tips, shirt clips, case, and possibly silicon adapters as far as accessories goes. What determines it for me is how well they work with the in-ears and if all of them are included
-I take good care of my headphones, but I will use them VERY often. Like, every single day for a long time.
-Don't need too much isolation; average is fine
-Need good cable microphonics, almost non-existent cable noise
-I will wear them for long periods of time (200+ songs at times) and want to feel as if it is not there anymore or cushion for my ears
-I enjoy listening to classical music, techno and electronic (videogames/movies/YouTube), rap, hip-hop, and pop.
-I use them for viewing media, playing games, and calling (Skype, phone, etc.)
-No fakes
-Use Sansa Clip+
-Optional but preferred: detachable cable
Preferred sound signature-
I like euphonic, juicy and lush and sturdy music. I value accuracy, clarity, and pay attention to low sounds. I would like my sound to be balanced, gripped, and brilliant. Punchy bass and treble is important.

*Price does not matter, as long as it is around the price range and is good*

And here are headphones I stacked to the comparison, and how they lost (from worst to best)-

-Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10: IE80s are overall better; can't go with bad build quality
-Ortofon eQ5/eQ7: IE80 have better microphonics, build, sound, and comfort
-Sony MDR-EX600: IE80s are overall better
-Phonak Audeo PFE122: IE80s are overall better
-VSonic GR07: IE80s are overall better, even though these are great for the price
-Sony MDR-7550: I prefer the IE80s sound signature a bit more
-JVC HA-FX700: Defeated by IE80 through sound, isolation, comfort, and build; leaks sound
-Earsonics SM3: 2x the price, not worth the money; issues with comfort
-Sony MDR-EX1000: Not a treble head; possibly sibilant
-Shure SE535: Similar to the IE80s, but more expensive (extra $116)
-Westone W4: Better in sound and clarity, too expensive (extra $130)
-Phonak Audeo PFE232: Beats the IE80s overall, but too expensive for my price range

So which one would be better? The Sennheiser IE80, or the UE900? I also take other suggestions :).

Thanks to all replies!

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 48
Seems like you already know the answer... Seeing how the IE80 "beat" the majority of IEMs in your list, why not go for one? And hearing the IE80 and "reading" about the UE900, they are two very different IEMs so again you may prefer the IE80?

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 48
Quote:
Seems like you already know the answer... Seeing how the IE80 "beat" the majority of IEMs in your list, why not go for one? And hearing the IE80 and "reading" about the UE900, they are two very different IEMs so again you may prefer the IE80?

+1, I think your preference just hangs towards the IE80.  Just reading your post gives me that vibe (through tone).  

Sep 29, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 48
Quote:
-JVC HA-FX700: Defeated by IE80 through sound, isolation, comfort, and build

Sorry, but  I very much doubt that...
rolleyes.gif

Sep 29, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 48
No worries, I was just trolling.
wink.gif
 still, for the type of music you listen I am  pretty sure the FX700 would be quite a bit more engaging and fun than the IE80 (I won't even get into the JVC  being technically a step above the IE80, IMO)

Sep 30, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #9 of 48
Quote:
Let me start off by saying I'm looking for a pair of headphones, did my research, and found the Sennheiser IE80s. They seem to defeat the competition IMO and for my requirements. Then, I found the Ultimate Ears UE900, which seems to fit my price range. Here is a little background on me:

-I use ear-tips, shirt clips, case, and possibly silicon adapters as far as accessories goes. What determines it for me is how well they work with the in-ears and if all of them are included
-I take good care of my headphones, but I will use them VERY often. Like, every single day for a long time.
-Don't need too much isolation; average is fine
-Need good cable microphonics, almost non-existent cable noise
-I will wear them for long periods of time (200+ songs at times) and want to feel as if it is not there anymore or cushion for my ears
-I enjoy listening to classical music, techno and electronic (videogames/movies/YouTube), rap, hip-hop, and pop.
-I use them for viewing media, playing games, and calling (Skype, phone, etc.)
-No fakes
-Use Sansa Clip+
-Optional but preferred: detachable cable

Preferred sound signature-
I like euphonic, juicy and lush and sturdy music. I value accuracy, clarity, and pay attention to low sounds. I would like my sound to be balanced, gripped, and brilliant. Punchy bass and treble is important.

*Price does not matter, as long as it is around the price range and is good*

And here are headphones I stacked to the comparison, and how they lost-

-Phonak Audeo PFE122: Defeated by IE80 in almost every area
-Sony MDR-EX600: Defeated by IE80 in almost every area
-VSonic GR07: Defeated by IE80 in almost every area but price
-Sony MDR-7550: I prefer IE80's sound signature
-Sony MDR-EX1000: Not a treble head, can't stand treble spikes (can't even stand a fire alarm)
-Westone W4: A little better in sound, but not enough to justify price (extra $130)
-Shure SE535: Closest to the IE80s, but more expensive (extra $116)
-Earsonics SM3: 2x the price, not that much of an improvement
-Phonak Audeo PFE232: Beats the IE80s, but too expensive for my price range
-Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10: Defeated by IE80 in almost every area
-Ortofon eQ5/eQ7: Defeated by IE80 through microphonics, build, sound, and comfort
-JVC HA-FX700: Defeated by IE80 through sound, isolation, comfort, and build

So which one would be better? The Sennheiser IE80, or the UE900? I also take other suggestions :).

Thanks to all replies!

Its certainly laughable that u doubt that extra 130$ isn't justify-able... dude i have the both... but for that xtra 130$  its 2* the performance of the IE80...  Ie80 lacks resolution while W4 wins by a high margin ... but since u dnt feel like spending sm extra cash... Go for the IE80's with the ISO-Tape mode.  for me UE900 isn't that great.. ( at least compared to its Competition ) 

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:
Its certainly laughable that u doubt that extra 130$ isn't justify-able... dude i have the both... but for that xtra 130$  its 2* the performance of the IE80...  Ie80 lacks resolution while W4 wins by a high margin ... but since u dnt feel like spending sm extra cash... Go for the IE80's with the ISO-Tape mode.  for me UE900 isn't that great.. ( at least compared to its Competition ) 

I doubted that the extra $130 wasn't justify-able since I'm not made of money, and I don't have nearly enough for the Westone 4s, and from what I've heard, the W4 wins in some areas and the IE80s others, so I didn't really think it was worth paying that much.

And thanks for your opinion on the UE900 :)

Sep 30, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #12 of 48
Quote:
Not sure if you own the IE80s, but if you do, could do compare the UE900 and the IE80? 

If I had a pair, I would do this.  Unfortunately, that's going to be a comparison you'll have to wait on someone else to do.  Sorry :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back