Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #1,246 of 7,699

Quote:
How the heck do you put a single flange tip OVER a double flange tip? Looks like it's no where close to fitting.
And do you mean the dark gray double flange tip or the black double flange tip?

You could actually use both. I generally used the black large double flange and put the large black single flange over the double flange tip. You can force the bottom tip piece into the opening of the large double flange tip and wrap the single flange over the double one so it is as one piece. Then just put the newly combined piece on the IE80. Should do the trick.

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #1,247 of 7,699
So I did manage to get them on because of the difference in circumference of the inner and outer rubber piece, there is a fold inside the inner tube which blocks the pathway. I did try to fit them on anyway and still doesn't seal well.
By the way, thanks for the links. I checked out but they still don't look big enough.
So hating my ears right now...

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #1,248 of 7,699
Personally I don't like deep seal (which is not the case with IE80). Deep seal makes me uncomfortable due to pressure generated from vibration of the dynamic drivers in airtight space. This is even more for long hrs of music. Also the airtight seal may cause boomy sound (if I have described it correctly).

To check if you have the proper seal you can press your fingers slightly against the IEM's, if you hear little change of bass then you have a good seal. This is from my experience.

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #1,249 of 7,699
I do have freakishly wide ear canals. I can fit almost 1/2 of my thumb into the ear canal so I have to go deep until the opening narrows but the IE80's housing won't let me...

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #1,250 of 7,699
Ok after 3 days of fiddling with tips I think I've cracked it for my own case. Double flange, barely pushing in creates a seal and FINALLY the bass I've been looking for. Pushing in any deeper causes a major loss of sub bass and mid bass. I'm quite happy with these now. Still contemplating some customs, but this is the sound I'm after. Thanks head-fiers!

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #1,252 of 7,699
Sure, customs are for freaks...
Not ready to shell out so much dough for IEM yet.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #1,255 of 7,699
There are many opinions floating around about burn in and we'd normally recommend a duration of approximately 24 hours (at a reasonable level, of course). And yes, do try on the various ear adapters to ensure the best personal fit for yourself.

Quote:
just received my IE80 but they sound very muddy,how much burning do they need?

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jan 27, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #1,256 of 7,699

Quote:
I do have freakishly wide ear canals. I can fit almost 1/2 of my thumb into the ear canal so I have to go deep until the opening narrows but the IE80's housing won't let me...

Try removing the core from a Comply Foam tip and using it with a Large Sony Hybrid or the largest Senn Tip, the Comply will force the silicone tip to expand to it's Max size.  Another option would be Monster Super Tips.

If you need more length, the Triple Flange tips from Audiozone's eBay store might work also.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #1,257 of 7,699
Received my pair today :)

Now trying to find the right fit and playing with the bass knob.

One bothering thing, I'm missing a small double flange silicone tip. For the rest it's complete.

Sound is very good. Nice bass (knob at 50%). Vocals stands loose of the music. Certainly worth the wait and money.

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk

Edit:
Turned down the bass a notch (2nd notch now). Favorite tips thus far: Double flange sillicone (normal ones) and the foam also sounds nice.
BTW, is this the same foam as Shure uses? Looks much denser than Comply foams.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #1,259 of 7,699

Quote:
Hey guys need your help shall i replace my copper pro turbines with ie 80s 

Let me know ASAP people :)

I have never owned the coppers but going off from others reviews even the IE8s were superior to them. So in that you'd be getting a nice upgrade in that regard. Just make sure to get them from an authorized dealer to protect yourself and haggle them down in the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back