Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #7,277 of 7,699
I have to say I wasn't impressed with IE80's that much when I first listened to them. I even thought about selling my pair.

But the more I listened to them, the more I started to enjoy them. They're my work IEM's since they sound good straight out of my phone and don't need an amp. You can find them used for a good price as I don't think they're worth the asking price brand new. But they are definitely an enjoyable set of IEM's.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #7,278 of 7,699
I have to say I wasn't impressed with IE80's that much when I first listened to them. I even thought about selling my pair.

But the more I listened to them, the more I started to enjoy them. They're my work IEM's since they sound good straight out of my phone and don't need an amp. You can find them used for a good price as I don't think they're worth the asking price brand new. But they are definitely an enjoyable set of IEM's.

Aw really? Yeah there does seem to be a huge margin where people say its the best iems ever and others who say its mediocre. How would it compare to the CX 3.00? I ask because the CX is much cheaper but supposedly has the smooth warm sound that I seek,and personally I think it looks nice too. Would I be OK with the cx3.00 or should I definitely get the ie80?

Also how bassy is the ie80 on the lowest setting? Cus I just want fatigue fee smooth listening for hours of relaxed gaming, so Is it teeth rattling on the lowest setting?

Jul 8, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #7,279 of 7,699
Aw really? Yeah there does seem to be a huge margin where people say its the best iems ever and others who say its mediocre. How would it compare to the CX 3.00? I ask because the CX is much cheaper but supposedly has the smooth warm sound that I seek,and personally I think it looks nice too. Would I be OK with the cx3.00 or should I definitely get the ie80?

Also how bassy is the ie80 on the lowest setting? Cus I just want fatigue fee smooth listening for hours of relaxed gaming, so Is it teeth rattling on the lowest setting?
I've never tried the CX3.00...I have the 5.00. From memory the cx5 is quite good for the price range, but the bass is very loose, not very detailed. The IE80 has superior bass although the IE80 itself has bass bloat.

If you find the IE80 used for a good price, I would try it out. I can't comment on the cx3.00 but the 5 is pretty decent for the price. It's on the warm side as well but I only really listened to the 5 once or twice even though I own it.

The bass on the lowest setting is good. I leave it on the 3rd setting personally. At the max setting it's overkill in my opinion.

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #7,280 of 7,699
Sorry if this has been asked before, but in terms of sound signature, how do the IE80s compare to the HD650? I'm on the lookout for an IEM that gets as close to that kind of sound in portable form. 

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #7,281 of 7,699
  Sorry if this has been asked before, but in terms of sound signature, how do the IE80s compare to the HD650? I'm on the lookout for an IEM that gets as close to that kind of sound in portable form. 

The IE80 are a little more v-shaped, with more bass and treble, and less mids presence. From memory, the Radius TFW41 were the IEMs that reminded me most of the HD650 sound when I had them.

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #7,282 of 7,699

they're both senn products ^_^. the list of differences would just be too long to write, but think of the IE80 more as a basshead IEM.
else I'm sorry but I don't really have any suggestion. it's possible to find similar signatures, but going from an IEM to an open full size headphone, it will subjectively always feel different. so I'm not confident enough to say which IEM could work for you.

Jul 12, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #7,283 of 7,699
I've had the IE8, which I understand are pretty similar to the IE80 except in bass balance.

I've also tried the HD650 and they're very, very different. The HD650 is extremely smooth and laid back, very dark, way too mellow and relaxed for my taste.
The IE8 is fun, much more lively and energetic without the sibilance and aggression of other Sennheisers (like the HD25-II or the Amperior). Bass is punchy and involving, mids are slightly recessed but still present and lushy, and the highs are there without being harsh or too rolled-off.

The IE8 has long been my favorite IEM except for its shape, which caused me some problems with the fit. But it's an excellent IEM, needs no amping to shine, and it's very fun. Not for critical listening, but for pure music enjoyment. I suppose the IE80 should retain the same qualities, while subduing the bass a bit.

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #7,284 of 7,699

I agree with most replies, they're not exactly a mini HD650. The HD650 is a laid back and warm, mid centric headphone, whereas the IE80 is a funnier, more V-shaped type of IEM. In my personal experience the HD650's sound signature is much closer to my Westone UM Pro 30 than my IE80.

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #7,285 of 7,699
IE80 is very bassy! Only on some source/amp. its bass can be controlled. I can understand why so many people are disappointed on it.
I think L-shape might be better to describe its sound signature.

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #7,286 of 7,699
Hi, I'm hesitating between the IE80 and the T20. Which one of those would you recommend for someone who prioritize detail, soundstage, durability and who listens to a large variety of genre (pop, rap, electronic, classic, hip hop...) ?

Thanks for you help!

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #7,287 of 7,699
IE80 is very bassy! Only on some source/amp. its bass can be controlled. I can understand why so many people are disappointed on it.
I think L-shape might be better to describe its sound signature.
There is bass depending on the bass in the mix of the recording, the Bass can be mixed in front or behind and the IE80 is not doing any other than reproduce what is on the recording. I listened lately to "Tapestry" by Carole King, and the balance was just perfect, not overly bass because it simply wasn't recorded that way. In many reviews one always get the impression that the audio gear leads a life on their own, but that is not right because they simply reproduce the recordings in the best way.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #7,289 of 7,699
Do You really think that IE80 is bassy? My thoughts is perfect neutral

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

really lol?? i just got my ie80s, they are ok though i was kinda led to believe they are the iem version of HD650, but i dont thin they are nearly in the same league imo. I feel like they are quite bassy, more of a V shape sound to my ears - i find myself getting fatigued with the sound cus its not really as smoth as i would like D: - but then again lately i been used to 650HD with a  true OTL amp using vintage mullard tubes lol, so obviously wouldn't get the same buttery smoothness.

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #7,290 of 7,699
Do You really think that IE80 is bassy? My thoughts is perfect neutral

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

What bass setting do you have your IE80 on? and are you getting a good seal?

These things are definitely not neutral, they're pretty bassy. Even on the lowest setting there's a decent amount of bass presence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back