Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #6,466 of 7,699

You can try comply foam tips as well, although they are expensive, and they get worn out in a relatively short time. They are the most comfy and best isolating tips I tried. (But it is expensive using them.) Some people do not like the sound with comply tips. I did like it. Or if you really love your IE80 and want to keep it for at least 3 years, you can have some custom tips made. Custom tips have perfect isolation and fit always, forever. But they cost half of the IE80s.

Well. I'm actually not really impressed with the Comply's... I also don't want to spend money on that each and every time. And the custom tips are way too expensive for my taste.

I will just order the Spinfit Tips on Ebay from that Japan Ebay reseller. Any ideas which size? I'm using the foam ones from the IE80's right now (The big ones). Which size are they? I think they fit the best with my ears. 

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #6,467 of 7,699
  Well. I'm actually not really impressed with the Comply's... I also don't want to spend money on that each and every time. And the custom tips are way too expensive for my taste.

I will just order the Spinfit Tips on Ebay from that Japan Ebay reseller. Any ideas which size? I'm using the foam ones from the IE80's right now (The big ones). Which size are they? I think they fit the best with my ears. 

To give exact recommendation we should know the size of your ear canal. :)
If the large foam tips fit quite well I would go for "L" size.
Good luck with finding the best tip. :wink:

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #6,470 of 7,699

I second that the complys are NOT that good. They kill the highs and treble extension. They also muffle the mids. I'm just not a fan.

I also have a question regarding the Spinfit size. I read in one review that the medium Spinfit is actually a tad smaller than regular M. But I'm not sure if my ears can take a LARGE even if it was smaller than the average LARGE tips. So how much smaller are the M Spinfits assuming they indeed are smaller than the usual M? I'm a M user, so should I stick with M Spinfits?

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #6,471 of 7,699
I second that the complys are NOT that good. They kill the highs and treble extension. They also muffle the mids. I'm just not a fan.

I also have a question regarding the Spinfit size. I read in one review that the medium Spinfit is actually a tad smaller than regular M. But I'm not sure if my ears can take a LARGE even if it was smaller than the average LARGE tips. So how much smaller are the M Spinfits assuming they indeed are smaller than the usual M? I'm a M user, so should I stick with M Spinfits?

I have the same question.

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #6,472 of 7,699
I've listened to the ie8's ( previous iteration of the 80) for many years.
I'm enjoying them very much since getting an app which enables me to EQ out the dreaded midbass hump.
IMO there is nothing to be gained by using a separate amp.
Certainly with an iPhone and I expect the HTC.
Any improvement is tiny and not worth carting extra gear about for.
An additional amp makes you feel more audiophile, if that's your thing!
smily_headphones1.gif

Custom tips are way cool. Especially if you have issues getting a good deal.
As to TOTL CIEM's, I'll let you know.
I'm waiting for a pair but I listen to my '8's and wonder just what I am expecting to be improved.
There are many ways to spend a lot of money in this hobby but if you have a nice set of IEM's and a decent source then you are all set. Again, IMHO.

So how would you compare ie80 to CIEM's ? was it worth the price for the improvements ?

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #6,473 of 7,699

Comply's are great for isolation but that is about it. The medium spinfits are what I have. They are a bit bigger than the average mediums in comparison. There is slightly less isolation but MUCH better sound. I ordered mine on eBay. The upgrade in tips are WAY more practical and noticeable than any change in cabling.

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #6,475 of 7,699
So how would you compare ie80 to CIEM's ? was it worth the price for the improvements ?

I'm still getting used to my CIEM's. I may have a fit issue if it doesn't settle down.
The CIEM's are good. Very good.
Am I enjoying my music more than I was with the IE8's (EQ'd)?
Probably not.

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #6,476 of 7,699
I'm still getting used to my CIEM's. I may have a fit issue if it doesn't settle down.
The CIEM's are good. Very good.
Am I enjoying my music more than I was with the IE8's (EQ'd)?
Probably not.

Interesting. Have thought about ciems but I have ie80s and se535s and don't see how I could have better then them.

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #6,478 of 7,699
More detail more presence better separation of frequencies...
Don't get me wrong. If I get the CIEM's comfortable I doubt that I will listen to the 8's very often.
However. There is an inference in audio that the true enjoyment of music lies in the last few, very expensive to achieve, percent of performance.
I do not believe this to be true. As I have said before, if you have the equipment 90-95% right, you are golden. IMHO.
I could not have resisted trying some TOTL stuff to test this though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back