Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #5,161 of 7,699

Usually if bass  starts panning or feeling uncentred is due to seal issues,(even though you think you have seal) of course taking into account the bass in that track is centered. It's mostly noticable with sub-bass hits you'll feel the bass pull to one side. I have a track I use with a low sub-bass drop that I know should be centre channel bang smack in the middle. if your bass is leaning to one direction check your tips because our ears aren't exactly the same on both sides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2OCSWF7sAw

yeah that's true... let me check this and give ya an update :)

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #5,162 of 7,699
  seriously i wanted to ask People something... do u guys feel that most modern Bass kicks tend to sound Left sided? i mean panned?

if you have cleared out material defect, then it can be hearing problem most people don't have perfect balance. sometimes it's simply one ear clogged with hardened wax.
it can be as H2O said a seal problem. be aware that too far into the ear can be as bad as a too swallow insertion as you might end up obstructing one of the IEM output

the simple way to check that is to make a song in mono. whatever is not centered is proof of a some kind of problem.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #5,163 of 7,699
  if you have cleared out material defect, then it can be hearing problem most people don't have perfect balance. sometimes it's simply one ear clogged with hardened wax.
it can be as H2O said a seal problem. be aware that too far into the ear can be as bad as a too swallow insertion as you might end up obstructing one of the IEM output

the simple way to check that is to make a song in mono. whatever is not centered is proof of a some kind of problem.

i dont think i have a hearing issue at all... the thing it is my right ear canal has a big bend when it starts.. where the left ear has a very smaller opening and a pretty straight Root .. this is why i guess westone 4's and ie80's + ex1000 sound panned to left... since they all sit pretty Flat in ear ( ie80's a bit okay compared to w4's and ex1000's may be due to the small tilt that ie80 has) 

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #5,164 of 7,699
then I guess the easy way out is to go custom and make sure the mold passes that bend. maybe try a mold for one of your universals like say .... for IE80 ^_^ ?

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #5,165 of 7,699
  then I guess the easy way out is to go custom and make sure the mold passes that bend. maybe try a mold for one of your universals like say .... for IE80 ^_^ ?

i did try a molding from one of my local audiologists.. but it turn out to be a proper mess.... she made me acrylic mold. but she's a mold maker for hearing aids.. not for iems. ( did a little test before spending a lot)  
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #5,166 of 7,699
I'm actually having a problem with this too. I just got a pair of ue900's and the sound is more centerd a little more to the left. And other iems I have or had like the w4r and 535 and these ie80 are more to the right. So either I have a imbalance probalrn with the ue900 or I have some kind of bend in my left ear that obstructed the sound ..now with my etys it's the same as my w4rs and so on ..but I can move the housing a little or push it in a little more and the sound becomes ballanced lol wierd huh lol at least now I know I'm not the only one this happens to ..I think it's more of a ear cannel thing then anything else grrr lol I hope that all made sense lol

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #5,167 of 7,699
Go custom? :veryevil: :evil:

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #5,169 of 7,699
I've been thinking about that lol

but then again.. what if audiologist screw things up? good CIEM company's charge for remolding r8? 

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #5,170 of 7,699
but then again.. what if audiologist screw things up? good CIEM company's charge for remolding r8? 

I think refit is free on the first 30 days, theres always a chance for making new impression but it will cost a bomb if the audiologist screw things up everytime.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #5,171 of 7,699
yup there is no universal rule for molds(sorry), but the generaly applied rule is  "you're buying a product that must fit". if it doesn't they'll redo it for free. its not that uncomon to need 2 or 3 attempts, but I think most people get the right stuff the first time.

the comfort of the IE80 being what it is, I suppose a lot of people go for molds on it.

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #5,173 of 7,699
Jan 17, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #5,174 of 7,699
same opinion. you don't need an amp for the IE80, it's a very well behaved IEM.
but you might want an amp to upgrade your source (eliminate hissing or bypass poor integrated amp).

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #5,175 of 7,699

i dont think i have a hearing issue at all... the thing it is my right ear canal has a big bend when it starts.. where the left ear has a very smaller opening and a pretty straight Root .. this is why i guess westone 4's and ie80's + ex1000 sound panned to left... since they all sit pretty Flat in ear ( ie80's a bit okay compared to w4's and ex1000's may be due to the small tilt that ie80 has) 

I suspect that I have a similar problem. While in NZ recently I tried out a pair of XBA-40s and noticed a slight imbalance towards the right which mirrors almost exactly what happens with my ie80s. The puzzling thing is that with my IE80s the imbalance is quite pronounced at the beginning of listening and improves after a few minutes to the point where the bass is virtually centred but vocals are not. This leads me to wonder if I have this ear canal shape problem or (worringly) a hearing problem. I'm not sure what CIEMs would cost me in Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back