Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #6,526 of 7,699
  Does anyone have problems with stock cables on their ie80 ?

have to give a slight push to the connector area of my left driver before sound comes back ( or goes away ).

have tried swapping the both the drivers, and it works perfectly fine. so is my left cable or connector of left driver faulty ?

Probably contact oxidation. I've experienced it a few times over the years with my IE8. If it's only mild, simply un/replugging the cable a few times might help.

If it doesn't, then get a contact cleaner, e.g. Deoxit D100L-2C.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #6,527 of 7,699

Probably contact oxidation. I've experienced it a few times over the years with my IE8. If it's only mild, simply un/replugging the cable a few times might help.

If it doesn't, then get a contact cleaner, e.g. Deoxit D100L-2C.

yeah, have reconnected several times, but once I remove them and store it, it happens again.

Can you just briefly run me though how do I clean them ? male connectors of cables or connectors of drivers ?

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #6,528 of 7,699
Thanks for suggestion but it's not earphone for me:
No way I would buy product like that. Not only because of the price but it's very bad in my opinion on so many levels, friend has IE800. Cable is a disaster, cable noise is so bad they are to me useless outside, whenever cable touch my clothes/body i get hits inside my ears... Isolation is possibly even worse than IE8 / 80 and it's down the ear cable, not over the ear - which is not problem only because of extreme cable noise (cables are stiff also so noise is even more emphasized) but also problem because of fit, every now and then you need to adjust earphone inside ear, while over the ear cable design assure a lot more secure fit for a longer period of time. 
Also I'm also 184 cm high (6 feet) and that silly cable lenght is so bad it barely reaches my pocket, so whenever I turn around earphones wanna fall out of my ears, let alone hold the cable under the shirt - then it's impossible to take out player/smartphone and change song without pulling earphones from your ear. 

Overall IE800 is very huge disaster of an earphone in my honest opinion, while sound is good (bit too high treble imo but everything else is very good) physical aspects are so bad that it's completely useless product. My friend that got it was so frustrated he kept using his IE8 instead and IE800 only at home. I just can't believe how someone can live day to day with them and use them outside, more cable noise and earpiece adjusting inside ears then music. But everything has it's happy customers... Too bad because it really does sound good (better then IE80 imo)!

Thanks for suggestion! Thing is experience taught me that cable over the ear and comfort are first to come, also replaceable cables are great bonus (not because other sound better, but because it's the first thing that stops working with earphones in most cases). So physical requirements come first to me, over the ear design, replaceable cable is huge bonus, comfort, durability... because no matter how good it sounds if it's not convenient and comfortable, and if it will not be a good value (long lasting) it's not worth the trouble and money. 

Still IE80 will do till I save up enough money for some top of the line earphone (even tho from what I've experienced it doesn't go much better than IE80, more different then better, depends on taste) or till I find some <500 $ upgrade if such exist...  

+100. The 800 was a total flop in my opinion. The proprietary cables and tips were enough to turn me off. The sound was subpar and dull. The ie8/80 had some personality. The 800 was one of the worst iems I've come across. Doesn't sound good, horrible cable, awkward tips, not durable. There are too many better options at this price range. Don't make the mistake of buying the 800 when the 80 actually has a much better price to performance/value/sound ratio.

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #6,529 of 7,699
+100. The 800 was a total flop in my opinion. The proprietary cables and tips were enough to turn me off. The sound was subpar and dull. The ie8/80 had some personality. The 800 was one of the worst iems I've come across. Doesn't sound good, horrible cable, awkward tips, not durable. There are too many better options at this price range. Don't make the mistake of buying the 800 when the 80 actually has a much better price to performance/value/sound ratio.

80 is really so great. But 800 is a little bit better on SQ, though not for the value.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #6,530 of 7,699

80 is really so great. But 800 is a little bit better on SQ, though not for the value.

Yes, I agree. I own (owned) quite a few IEMS. I still come back to the IE80 time and time again because the sound is very pleasing and comfortable. Sounds warm yet detailed. Very durable, easy to power. I picked up a new cable. It is SO much better than the stock I have to say, and out of all places I picked it up on eBay, $20 USA. If I were to just buy one IEM again in the past 8 years, it would be the IE80. That is how good it is for the value. If it breaks, I know I can easily pick up another pair. (Unlike if I break a custom or $1000+ universal.)

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #6,531 of 7,699

I would have to disagree. Ie800 has a much more detailed, proeminent treble. 

I did not like this about ie8, the treble was not enough for my needs. 

But for it's price point and target market, it should work like a charm, because most people buying it would preffer a smooth top end with more bass, while most people buying a ie800 will want more details, more treble, better ADSR and pinpoint precision. 

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #6,532 of 7,699

Yes, I agree. I own (owned) quite a few IEMS. I still come back to the IE80 time and time again because the sound is very pleasing and comfortable. Sounds warm yet detailed. Very durable, easy to power. I picked up a new cable. It is SO much better than the stock I have to say, and out of all places I picked it up on eBay, $20 USA. If I were to just buy one IEM again in the past 8 years, it would be the IE80. That is how good it is for the value. If it breaks, I know I can easily pick up another pair. (Unlike if I break a custom or $1000+ universal.)

Cool! Could you let me know what cable you are using for 80? Thanks!

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #6,536 of 7,699
  I've got a few nice (expensive) quality cables, but this $13.99 one is probably my favorite so far. 

Thank you! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #6,537 of 7,699
  yeah, have reconnected several times, but once I remove them and store it, it happens again.

Can you just briefly run me though how do I clean them ? male connectors of cables or connectors of drivers ?

Well, I just put a tiny drop on the cable connectors and then replug / unplug them several times.

Here's the link to the product sheet, with more detailed instructions.

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #6,538 of 7,699
  This cable sounds cleaner than stock for sure!

Cables do not have any magical properties and aren't some abstract things. Sennheiser made excellent cable for their at the time flagship earphone. Do you think they would let their flagship be held back by a 0.5$ piece of copper?
Can't sound cleaner even if it was pure silver cable, resistance is the only thing that can affect "cable sound" and it does not manifest through cleaner sound. Be sure to somehow do blind test (if possible due to material cable is coated in) because placebo effect is very strong with audio equipment.  

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #6,539 of 7,699
  Cables do not have any magical properties and aren't some abstract things. Sennheiser made excellent cable for their at the time flagship earphone. Do you think they would let their flagship be held back by a 0.5$ piece of copper?
Can't sound cleaner even if it was pure silver cable, resistance is the only thing that can affect "cable sound" and it does not manifest through cleaner sound. Be sure to somehow do blind test (if possible due to material cable is coated in) because placebo effect is very strong with audio equipment.  

I think that it does not sound clearer, but more coloured. 

That cable is clearly cheaper/worse than the Sennheiser stock one, but if it colours the sound enough, people might love it. 

Also, if the cable has actually a high impedance, it will eliminate hiss coming from some sources, as Ie8 hisses quite a lot from any source. So the background of music will be blacker, instrument separation better, clarity better, but because cable is worse, not better. sometimes I want I had a headphone plug that adds impedance, as it allows for better volume control, better sound, better everything. Low impedance was thought at the time, and still is not, to be possible to power the IEM at full potential from a portable source. Which is correct, most people will use a IEM portable. 

Jul 3, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #6,540 of 7,699

You have a link for that cable? 
TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back