Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Aug 3, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #2,851 of 7,699
I guess I would fall into that category then lol because I always noticed it cutting into the sound stage. It did brings the treble and mids more forward though and focused the bass. Still not to my liking though.

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #2,852 of 7,699
In my personal opinion, a silver/3rd party cable is very useful for the ie8/80s.

Although the default cable supplied provided really good durability, i suspect it happened at the costs of sonic performance, 
by thining the wires.

Other brands i've noticed such as shure, or westones use relatively thicker cables than the ie80s.
Some of the CIEM comes with pretty decent cables as well most of them with 4x cores.

Just feel the silver did more justice to the ie8 than other iems.
Sure, i could have gotten a CIEM at the price of ie8+twags but realised im not that into higher end audio after owning a pair of hd650s.

I used another cable from sunricky at ebay before i moved to the twags, it's the new 2011 version or something along the lines.
Beware of that cable though, the plug's internal wiring went loose from some strain i put it through on my pair of jeans and one side has no volume now.
I've alrdy seen some minor improvement from a cheaper pair of cables thus i moved to the twags.

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #2,853 of 7,699
Quote:
I guess I would fall into that category then lol because I always noticed it cutting into the sound stage. It did brings the treble and mids more forward though and focused the bass. Still not to my liking though.

I did find it weird how great an impact the hybrids made to the soundstage.

And not just the hybrids, other tips with small opening cut the soundstage as well.

I've not found another tip thats as comfortable, didn't like comply tips as it's a little troublesome to put on and heats up my ears after awhile.

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #2,854 of 7,699
Quote:
I did find it weird how great an impact the hybrids made to the soundstage.

And not just the hybrids, other tips with small opening cut the soundstage as well.

I've not found another tip thats as comfortable, didn't like comply tips as it's a little troublesome to put on and heats up my ears after awhile.

The JVC tips that I have from amazon are the best IMO. But I recently ordered another pair come to find they are now made in a different material. I was very disappointed. The lady was nice enough though to give me a full refund and let me keep the tips. I told her though if she can get those same original ones I had ordered last year I'd get a lifetime supply (lol).

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #2,855 of 7,699
Quote:
They aren't half bad at it and improved in that regard with the cable upgrade. They are good all-arounders more so than genre specific. I do however enjoy the FX700s more for electronic.

I'll second this for sure, FX700's are amazing for electronic music- any sort of sound with massive bass and that awesome 'crunch' or 'bite' in the midrange. The IE80's still sound great, makes up for it in it's 3D soundstage and great forward projection. I'd put the EX1000's above the IE80's for electronic as well. But IMO the fx700 is the clear winner in that genre... Granted I don't have the silver cable upgrade, and my source is only a galaxy nexus...

100th post!!

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #2,856 of 7,699
So stoked! Just got my free pair of IE80's in the mail yesterday that I won from Razordogs giveaway. If you haven't checked that out yet I highly recommend 
wink_face.gif
. So, fist impressions are very, very good...especially hooked up to my Auzentech HTHD X-Fi Soundcard on my PC. I've never had any high(er) end IEM's like this before so I don't really have anything to base it off of but the clarity of these are just amazing. I also couldn't get a good seal with any of the stock tips so I threw some T-500's on them and that was that. Thanks Razordog! I don't know if you ever check out these forums but thanks a mil 
biggrin.gif

I'm seriously contemplating getting a Toxic Cable from Frank just cause they look so damn good...just having a hard time justifying the $260 USD. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #2,857 of 7,699
Quote:
So stoked! Just got my free pair of IE80's in the mail yesterday that I won from Razordogs giveaway. If you haven't checked that out yet I highly recommend 
wink_face.gif
. So, fist impressions are very, very good...especially hooked up to my Auzentech HTHD X-Fi Soundcard on my PC. I've never had any high(er) end IEM's like this before so I don't really have anything to base it off of but the clarity of these are just amazing. I also couldn't get a good seal with any of the stock tips so I threw some T-500's on them and that was that. Thanks Razordog! I don't know if you ever check out these forums but thanks a mil 
biggrin.gif

I'm seriously contemplating getting a Toxic Cable from Frank just cause they look so damn good...just having a hard time justifying the $260 USD. 

It's a decent sonic improvement given the price.
You should probably get it when u have more funds though, or u could get it now and save ur money later on.

Aug 7, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #2,858 of 7,699
Not to sound like a fanboy or anything but these are easily my favorite iems.  I owned the IE8 and these are a big improvement in terms of cleaning up the bass and being more transparent.

Soundstage is fantastic.

I have owned IE8, Westone3, Shure SE535, UE Triple.fi 10s as well as IEMs from Sony and JVC --- they all have their strengths and weaknesses but for my listening preferences, none come close to the IE80s.. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #2,859 of 7,699
Quote:
It's a decent sonic improvement given the price.
You should probably get it when u have more funds though, or u could get it now and save ur money later on.

When you're out and about what are you using as your source? The reason I ask is cause I'm using my either my iPhone or iPod and neither feel like they do these IEM's justice. 

Aug 8, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #2,860 of 7,699
I'd just go for the Silver Galaxy cable and be done with it. You'd pay half the price and get the same results. Glad you are liking your IE80s. If you can find larger single flange tips I'd recommend you opt for those (silcone) as the comply tips muffle the sound and increase bass. You'll get better sound with silicone.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #2,861 of 7,699
Quote:
I'd just go for the Silver Galaxy cable and be done with it. You'd pay half the price and get the same results. Glad you are liking your IE80s. If you can find larger single flange tips I'd recommend you opt for those (silcone) as the comply tips muffle the sound and increase bass. You'll get better sound with silicone.

Noted. Thanks...I like your attitude. 

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #2,862 of 7,699
i gt my IE80 2 days back.. quite impressive for a dynamic driver phone..  But cannot resist this damm fatigue.. any one elz suffer frm fatigue?  smtyms i might having this issue cuz ive been using my w4s for a long tym...!

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #2,863 of 7,699
Quote:
i gt my IE80 2 days back.. quite impressive for a dynamic driver phone..  But cannot resist this damm fatigue.. any one elz suffer frm fatigue?  smtyms i might having this issue cuz ive been using my w4s for a long tym...!

What kind of fatigue? From something in the sound signature? These seems about as easy on the ears as you can get from an eaprhone... 

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #2,864 of 7,699
Quote:

What kind of fatigue? From something in the sound signature? These seems about as easy on the ears as you can get from an eaprhone... 

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #2,865 of 7,699
Yeah  I'm not sure what you mean by fatigue unless you are tempted to pump up the volume due to the more laid back nature of the IE80 (which can then induce fatigue).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back