Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jan 9, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #7,876 of 7,990
Jan 9, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #7,877 of 7,990
Looks great, local HK shop has done great job.

Can I also get this mod done for my IE800, which I like a lot, but could use for fit issues.
Yes, the shop will mod yours, or you can pay/trade for one already done. He's done a great job on the mod, and it makes the IE800(s) usable, and I am enjoying them much more than I thought I would. I was afraid that it would be a waste of money to try to keep using a 9 year old design, but it is not. The IE800 was special when it was released, and even today, it is still special. With a better cable, using 4.4mm balanced, and with ear tips that give a proper seal. I can say that they are finally showing what they can do.

The shop is at: Oriental Shopping Centre, 188 Wanchai Rd, Wanchai, HK, Shop #141. Only opens in the evening. 3pm to 10pm Mon-Sat? I'll double check the shop # when I am there next time, and get a phone number.
https://www.oneday.com.hk/en_US/buildings/oriental-188-shopping-centre/

You can PM me if you need more info.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #7,878 of 7,990
I do not think it is correct to state your modded pair is the original ie800 or ie800s and make comparisons called ie800SvsFiio...etc
Acoustic chambers - (front and back) make 50% of IE800(S) sound signature, it is very sophisticated and unique system (senn engineers knew their perversions, that's for sure))
The front chamber in your mod has nothing in common with the original, and back chamber is at least beccme much bigger.
I even suppose that there are no genuine drivers inside. I've seen the modded ie800 supposingly from the same shop some time ago and it contained no genuine ie800 drivers. I liked the sound, it was pretty descent, not at the same level as some cheap fakes out there, but at the same time not close to originals. Just another iems in the same enclosure.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #7,879 of 7,990
I do not think it is correct to state your modded pair is the original ie800 or ie800s and make comparisons called ie800SvsFiio...etc
Acoustic chambers - (front and back) make 50% of IE800(S) sound signature, it it very sophisticated and unique system (senn engineers knew their perversions, that's for sure))
The front chamber in your mod has nothing in common with the original, and back chamber is at least beccme much bigger.
I even suppose that there are no genuine drivers inside. I've seen the modded ie800 supposingly from the same shop some time ago and it contained no genuine ie800 drivers. I liked the sound, it was pretty descent, not at the same level as some cheap fakes out there, but at the same time not close to originals. Just another iems in the same enclosure.

From this assessment, one can never get IE800 mod for MMCX and have SQ retained?

Jan 14, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #7,881 of 7,990
Acoustic chambers - (front and back) make 50% of IE800(S) sound signature, it is very sophisticated and unique system (senn engineers knew their perversions, that's for sure))
Fair comments. The modded IE800s has a different/larger front chamber, and the back volume may be larger, or similar, depending on how the driver is placed. The helmhotz resonators in the rear may, or may not be tuned same as original. I believe it is expected that the end result is no longer original factory, due to the physical changes, and thus the SQ will be different, and the user will have to be aware and and take this into account. It is prudent to mention this, though, so there are no surprises. So yes, be aware of all the above. My comparison with the FDX is against a modded IEM that looks like the IE800s, and is not a valid comparison with an original IE800s. However, I do have/had an original IE800, so have an idea of the horrible ergonomics, and the excellent sound of the original.

Original drivers or not, as I mentioned, I of course had the same worry, and I took a chance with the purchase. I have no way to verify what is in mine. I can only decide based on whether the sound is worth the effort, for what I wound up owning.
(The shop will have a real IE800 for sure, though. The one I traded in.)

In spite of all the above caveats and concerns/worries, I am happy with my purchase. I paid a reasonable price, along with a trade of the IE800 which I was not getting any use out of.

Whatever these are, real drivers or not, I am enjoying them tremendously. If I could be sure that the driver is original, it would satisfy my OCD, but I am not going to let that affect what I am hearing, and will judge these based on the sound/enjoyment I am getting out of them.

I agree that my posting was questionably relevant to this thread, and had not much to add regarding the FDX topic, so I apologize for creating "noise", which I would also think was irrelevant and confusing, when I observe similar postings in other threads. So no more postings about this from me. Anybody with questions can PM me.

Jan 15, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #7,883 of 7,990
Just to refine, there are no resonators at the rear, there is only one damper there - the upper one. The lower one is not functional, just for design symmetry.
I was always fuzzy on where the resonators were located, and as the description is that there are 2 resonators, I always erroneously associated the 2 vents with that function. I took another look to try to understand it.
- Yes, the 2 openings at the back are vents only.
- The top vent "loads" the rear cavity, and affects bass response
- The bottom vent is to equalize the air pressure between the back and the front. This vent has no impact on bass.

- The D2CA system in the IE800 has 2 helmholtz resonators/absorbers. They are in the front absorber, in front of the driver, where they can modulate the sound wave from the driver.
The IE900 has 3, and they are also shown in front of the driver.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/03/sennheiser-ie800.html

ON SECOND THOUGHT #1: The working principle of the D2CA is quite simple. It consists of dual helmholtz resonators, targeted at -6 dB @ 7 kHz & 8 kHz, canceling the half-wavelength resonance when the tip of the ear sleeve is located approximately at 24 mm & 20 mm away from the ear drum respectively. As deep-insertion is virtually impossible with small IEMs like IE800, such insertion depth compensation is absolutely brilliant.
ON SECOND THOUGHT #4: According to the manufacturer, IE800 is finely tuned with precisely controlled air flow. While the upper rear vent controls the compliance of air in the rear cavity, the bottom rear vent works as a depressurizer, equalizing the air pressure of the front and the rear.
1642267825735.png

Jan 17, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #7,884 of 7,990
- The D2CA system in the IE800 has 2 helmholtz resonators/absorbers. They are in the front absorber, in front of the driver, where they can modulate the sound wave from the driver.
Yep, they are in the front, now you understand my concern about changing the front part leaving sq intact... It's impossible.

- The bottom vent is to equalize the air pressure between the back and the front.
Again, the lower "vent" is not functional at all. It is just for design purposes.

Jan 17, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #7,885 of 7,990
I was initially having fit issues in the right ears with the IE800. I got comply tips for them and I am honestly blown away by how good these sound.
I also have a pair for Noble Katanas but these are simply next level. The impact and coherence are just sublime. Also, the details in the mids is perfection.
Huge fan.

Jan 17, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #7,886 of 7,990
Yep, they are in the front, now you understand my concern about changing the front part leaving sq intact... It's impossible.

Again, the lower "vent" is not functional at all. It is just for design purposes.
Agree, as it looks like the original front piece would have to be discarded. Or additional work to cut down and install in the original resonator into the new front piece, which is probably unlikely. So yes, expect the SQ to be different from that provided in the original design.

Sennheiser describes the lower vent as to equalize the front and back pressure. I can't picture how that is done, without a detailed picture of the inside, but I don't doubt that Sennheiser could do what they state. I am inclined to believe that Sennheiser designed in a method to equalize the pressure, as certainly that would not be the hardest thing that they had to do.

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #7,887 of 7,990
I got comply tips for them and I am honestly blown away by how good these sound.
Yes, comply are very effective with ie800 cause they do what stock tips fail to do for many users - to create a good seal with shallow insertion.
Or additional work to cut down and install in the original resonator into the new front piece, which is probably unlikely.
I can add that detaching the driver from the front part without damage to the driver is close to impossible or at least hard enough not to make any sense for commercial purpose.
Sennheiser describes the lower vent as to equalize the front and back pressure.
Sennheiser is a big company, it may be a mistake or just some fantasy of one of their marketers. I do not think they lied deliberately, but this "vent" is decorative, if you want photo, I will make it for you.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #7,888 of 7,990
Sennheiser is a big company, it may be a mistake or just some fantasy of one of their marketers. I do not think they lied deliberately, but this "vent" is decorative, if you want photo, I will make it for you.
I agree, that marketers can make borderline claims, though for a big company, they typically skirt the truth, but stay away from outright making something up. They may explain their statement as true, though there would be a tortuous rationalization of exactly what the statement means. Of course a mis-statement which nobody bothers to correct, is also very possible.

If you have a picture, I would be interested to see it. Only to satisfy my curiosity, though. Please don't bother if it is not convenient/needs any work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back