Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jun 21, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #7,426 of 7,990
The fake ones sound not bad actually but from the photo it is a fake one
I see you have the W80 as well.

Funny enough I prefer the "fake" IE800 over the W80 some times. That's how good the fakes sound :)

Jun 21, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #7,427 of 7,990
I see you have the W80 as well.

Funny enough I prefer the "fake" IE800 over the W80 some times. That's how good the fakes sound :)
I have fake and real ie800 so I know how they sound

Jun 28, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #7,429 of 7,990
To all IE800 owners who made the mod to Silver Dragon cable, can you please share your experience? Do you think the sound is too thin? How would you characterize it?

Any DAP pairing in this configuration that you think is worth mentioning?

Thank you all!

Jul 4, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #7,430 of 7,990
Hello all!

Can you give advice, from your own experience, on an IEM that has the detail and clarity of IE800, but with more forward mids? If it has the lush low extension of IE800, that would be even better.

The thing is that sometimes, while listening to IE800, the song seem a little bit recessed esp. when it comes to vocals, but not limited to that, for that matter...

I was thinking, if any of you went through this experience and could share some thoughts, either to order some custom ear tips or to adapt the IEM to balanced (in which case, what type of car keys would you suggest?). I am not sure if it's worth the effort in terms of bringing more forward the mids.

Thank you in advance!

Jul 4, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #7,431 of 7,990
Hello all!

Can you give advice, from your own experience, on an IEM that has the detail and clarity of IE800, but with more forward mids? If it has the lush low extension of IE800, that would be even better.

The thing is that sometimes, while listening to IE800, the song seem a little bit recessed esp. when it comes to vocals, but not limited to that, for that matter...

I was thinking, if any of you went through this experience and could share some thoughts, either to order some custom ear tips or to adapt the IEM to balanced (in which case, what type of car keys would you suggest?). I am not sure if it's worth the effort in terms of bringing more forward the mids.

Thank you in advance!

IE800S :)

Jul 4, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #7,432 of 7,990

Nice try

Recently, I have been looking into the Campfire range, not really auditioning them, but reading about them. I mainly was interested in the Andromeda and the Atlas, both of them TOTL IEMs. Opinions vary and my take is that Atlas is a little bit bassy. Moreover, a few opinions converge to the idea that in the case of Atlas, adding a balanced cable, it won't make a difference from just using the SE port.

On the other hand, many people say that Andromeda is a balanced headphone, but that it lacks bass. At least, when compared to the IE800, it has a very nice mid-range. Adding a balanced cable really makes a difference. As for the lack of bass, I guess you always have some options: either EQ inf or using some custom ear tips for a better isolation. One downside of the Andromeda is that it might not be optimally fitting your ears.

I am sure there must be contributors to this thread that have taken the route to Andromeda or Atlas, so we want to know their experience

Of course, any other suggestions would be of great help!

Jul 4, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #7,433 of 7,990
Nice try

Recently, I have been looking into the Campfire range, not really auditioning them, but reading about them. I mainly was interested in the Andromeda and the Atlas, both of them TOTL IEMs. Opinions vary and my take is that Atlas is a little bit bassy. Moreover, a few opinions converge to the idea that in the case of Atlas, adding a balanced cable, it won't make a difference from just using the SE port.

On the other hand, many people say that Andromeda is a balanced headphone, but that it lacks bass. At least, when compared to the IE800, it has a very nice mid-range. Adding a balanced cable really makes a difference. As for the lack of bass, I guess you always have some options: either EQ inf or using some custom ear tips for a better isolation. One downside of the Andromeda is that it might not be optimally fitting your ears.

I am sure there must be contributors to this thread that have taken the route to Andromeda or Atlas, so we want to know their experience

Of course, any other suggestions would be of great help!

I wasn't joking, IE800S tends to be a IE800 with a more forward midrange.

I think I'll hear Atlas soon and I'll do a full comparison between it and IE800, but until I hear it, I can't say how they compare. It should be in Shipping to me (the Atlas)

I think more peolpe who heard the Campfire IEMs would chime in within the Campfire thread, because there are more campfire owners there

Jul 4, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #7,434 of 7,990
I wasn't joking, IE800S tends to be a IE800 with a more forward midrange.

I think I'll hear Atlas soon and I'll do a full comparison between it and IE800, but until I hear it, I can't say how they compare. It should be in Shipping to me (the Atlas)

I think more peolpe who heard the Campfire IEMs would chime in within the Campfire thread, because there are more campfire owners there

George is quite correct, ie800S for what you described. I found Andromeda similar to Shure 846, not the fast extended ie800 sound.

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #7,435 of 7,990
George is quite correct, ie800S for what you described. I found Andromeda similar to Shure 846, not the fast extended ie800 sound.

OK, thank you!
Do you know if the Comply ear tips developed esp. for the IE800s fit the IE800? Normally, they should.

Any experience of using these tips for the IE800?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #7,436 of 7,990

To be honest, the treble lack on SE846 is quite a big deal, I still can't really get along with it entirely :)

OK, thank you!
Do you know if the Comply ear tips developed esp. for the IE800s fit the IE800? Normally, they should.

Any experience of using these tips for the IE800?

I am not sure whether they work, they should, but not absolutely sure, but I know that I wouldn't use comply with anything, takes away too much from the sound, thickens too much, softens too much...

If you feel that IE800 has too much treble, then maybe looking at Atlas and even SE846 might be a good idea.

IE800 is really unique with a really energetic, engaging and lively sound. I'd say that a majority of rock and metal listeners would prefer this above something much smoother, because most people like rock and metal music to have a good bite and sparkle.

Electronic music is another story, as there, the mastering usually already has a lot of treble sparkle.

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #7,437 of 7,990
To be honest, the treble lack on SE846 is quite a big deal, I still can't really get along with it entirely :)

I suspect you have heard 846's with stock filter? You get crisp cymbals with modified Blue filters (taking out one of the 2 pieces of foam) plus retaining the awesome tight bass.

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #7,438 of 7,990
I have noticed a significant difference in sound quality and micro details that the IE 800 is able to provide, depending on the environment. On the street, for instance, you immediately notice the imperfect seal of the IEM, via a degrading in the micro details. That's why I'm trying to find solutions for a better fit.

I am still not clarified regarding the improvements that a recabling to a balanced connector would bring to the IE800.

George, thank you for the clarifications!

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #7,440 of 7,990
Just an advice...if you're looking for lush midrange, try the IE800s before you buy, if you can.

Thank you for the advice!

I actually have tried to audition them using the balanced Pentaconn port of my DAP.

Unfortunately, this port is not burned in, so, to be honest, I didn't like what I've heard. But I am aware this is not the fault of the IEM per se. Again, unfortunately, I don't have a headphone to burn it in (Ibasso used to have some special burn in cables, but not for the balanced port)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back