Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
May 7, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #6,875 of 7,990
Please remember that ie800 is an awesome IEM and it is still one of my favorite IEMs ever. Using it even after 3 years now, a very elegant, cute and awesome sounding IEM

5cdpjIr.jpg

May 8, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #6,877 of 7,990
I've been using my IE 800 for indoor use only, so I haven't had the issue with the tips falling off. I've decided to rotate my IE 800 for outdoor use, and being concerned with the ease the tips can come off, I tried my Final E-Series silicone tips and they fit very well without any modification. Since they do fit tight around the stem, I don't anticipate I'll have an issue, but I'm going for a long hike on Wednesday, so I'll report back about this.

May 8, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #6,878 of 7,990
I've been using my IE 800 for indoor use only, so I haven't had the issue with the tips falling off. I've decided to rotate my IE 800 for outdoor use, and being concerned with the ease the tips can come off, I tried my Final E-Series silicone tips and they fit very well without any modification. Since they do fit tight around the stem, I don't anticipate I'll have an issue, but I'm going for a long hike on Wednesday, so I'll report back about this.

I have been using ie800 on a lot of trips, with the original tips actually.

Never had them fell before. I even slightly headband when I listen to energetic music, like Rock or Metal. On the other hand, I had the fit loosen a bit, situation in which taking them out and gently cleaning them and my ears with a piece of cloth solved the issue pretty neatly.

May 11, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #6,879 of 7,990

I use it outdoor everyday with the original tips when I bike to work without any issue at all. I wear it over my ears btw

May 11, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #6,880 of 7,990
I use it outdoor everyday with the original tips when I bike to work without any issue at all. I wear it over my ears btw

I should have been clearer on what I meant by the tips falling off. The problem I sometimes have is when removing the earpiece from my ear, the stock tip detaches and stays in my ear; I've not had any problems with the tips while listening.

The Final E-Series tips I mentioned several posts ago have the same issue when used with the IE 800.

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #6,881 of 7,990
I'm looking forward to trying it with Hugo 2, here are some sources used so far with IE800 from best to worst

Chord Mojo >> iDSD BL > Shanling M2s > Fiio X5iii > Oppo HA2 > Soundaware M1pro

Why M1 pro is the worst - treble is emphasized too much so its overly sparkly and bass has a strong bloom in to the mids, detail and texture is good though.
Why Mojo is the best - tighter bass, faster transients, tons of detail, better timbre and separation, excellent depth and layering.

iDSD Black label is by far the closest and similar sounding to Mojo, has about 80% of its sound quality but £200 more expensive... :thinking:

0 (1).jpg ifimojo.jpg

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #6,882 of 7,990
I'm looking forward to trying it with Hugo 2, here are some sources used so far with IE800 from best to worst

Chord Mojo >> iDSD BL > Shanling M2s > Fiio X5iii > Oppo HA2 > Soundaware M1pro

Why M1 pro is the worst - treble is emphasized too much so its overly sparkly and bass has a strong bloom in to the mids, detail and texture is good though.
Why Mojo is the best - tighter bass, faster transients, tons of detail, better timbre and separation, excellent depth and layering.

iDSD Black label is by far the closest and similar sounding to Mojo, has about 80% of its sound quality but £200 more expensive... :thinking:

Woah

The difference in price actually makes iDSD BL a better overall deal in Romania.

Another thing is that with my ears and setup, Mojo felt a tiny bit digital while iDSD BL felt considerably more natural, real-life. With iDSD BL, there was no digital tint, the mids felt much more natural / relaxed.

May 12, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #6,883 of 7,990
The chord dacs and the wyred for sound dac 2SE are the only dacs iv heard that dont sound "digital" to my ears.

Mojo is not an easy dac to do quick AB tests with, i feel it requires time for your brain to appreciate its unique dac design. For example, i have had mojo since release and when ever i try something new it always sound uncomfortably flat. Very hard to explain. You might be assuming digital glare is because the high amounts of detail and clarity.

Yeah im a chord fan for life now, its the best source iv have heard for my favorite music, hard rock and metal.

May 12, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #6,884 of 7,990
The chord dacs and the wyred for sound dac 2SE are the only dacs iv heard that dont sound "digital" to my ears.

Mojo is not an easy dac to do quick AB tests with, i feel it requires time for your brain to appreciate its unique dac design. For example, i have had mojo since release and when ever i try something new it always sound uncomfortably flat. Very hard to explain. You might be assuming digital glare is because the high amounts of detail and clarity.

Yeah im a chord fan for life now, its the best source iv have heard for my favorite music, hard rock and metal.

I'm really glad that you found your happiness though! I wish I could like Mojo as much, I'm kinda sorry it didn't work out for me. Hugo still remains in my mind as an awesome device, but Mojo didn't like me...

When amping ie800 from iDSD BL, it has many things in common with Sennheiser He-1 so I'm really enthused by the sound of the combination, I think that iFi did an awesome job with their iDSD. Then again, Mojo and iDSD BL are priced similarly in Romania, just 100$ difference and that Mojo didn't connect properly with anything I had so I'll just keep my sweet memories of Hugo (since Hugo 2 doesn't seem to be coming to Romania), and I'll keep loving iDSD BL since it is the swiss army knife of audio DAC/AMPs I think most people are looking for if having a complex set of IEMs and headphones.

Once again, I don't say Mojo isn't an awesome device as well, but it didn't work out for me. I'm glad for everyone who finds their ideal setup, happiness and inner peace is all that matters in the end!

May 12, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #6,885 of 7,990
I'm really glad that you found your happiness though! I wish I could like Mojo as much, I'm kinda sorry it didn't work out for me. Hugo still remains in my mind as an awesome device, but Mojo didn't like me...

When amping ie800 from iDSD BL, it has many things in common with Sennheiser He-1 so I'm really enthused by the sound of the combination, I think that iFi did an awesome job with their iDSD. Then again, Mojo and iDSD BL are priced similarly in Romania, just 100$ difference and that Mojo didn't connect properly with anything I had so I'll just keep my sweet memories of Hugo (since Hugo 2 doesn't seem to be coming to Romania), and I'll keep loving iDSD BL since it is the swiss army knife of audio DAC/AMPs I think most people are looking for if having a complex set of IEMs and headphones.

Once again, I don't say Mojo isn't an awesome device as well, but it didn't work out for me. I'm glad for everyone who finds their ideal setup, happiness and inner peace is all that matters in the end!

Yes dont get me wrong, BL is a very nice sounding dac amp and i was impressed that it almost matched mojos razor sharp precision. There was only a very slight graininess in the treble in comparison and it can drive iems and headphones just as well. The only issue i had with mine was the channel imbalance at lower volumes.

It is indeed a swiss army knife, i actually recommend it to people that like to game and watch movies as much as listen to music. I enjoyed using the 3D switch and bass boost while gaming quite a lot.

Anyway back to IE800, id like to know if Sennheiser has an successor planned, but with that said IE800 is going to be very hard to beat. Its still a world class iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back