Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Apr 22, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #6,856 of 7,990
Apr 24, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #6,857 of 7,990
Hey guys,

Quick update, it is confirmed that the Dior Homme IE 800 will be able to be purchased on it's own. Pricing and availability will still need to come from registering on the site.

Also, les_garten,
I'm going to the Munich High End show in May and I'll talk directly to the engineers about the cable lengths. Valuable feedback.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Apr 24, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #6,858 of 7,990
Hey guys,

Quick update, it is confirmed that the Dior Homme IE 800 will be able to be purchased on it's own. Pricing and availability will still need to come from registering on the site.

Also, @les_garten,
I'm going to the Munich High End show in May and I'll talk directly to the engineers about the cable lengths. Valuable feedback.

Good to hear back from you.  I filled out the form last week.  

Still hoping that Dior cable is longer than stock...  Doesn't need to be much.

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #6,859 of 7,990
I suppose I should be grateful to the IE800 for getting me interested in higher-end headphones. I found a second-hand pair for a good price and was curious enough to try them. They're extremely detailed and also have very impressive bass – not boomy, very articulate. Also quite a wide soundstage. I also realized I had to swap my FiiO amp for something a bit higher-end, as the IE800 revealed noise from its audio circuit. In any case, I was extremely impressed, hearing tonnes of things I'd never heard before, and soon decided to invest in some proper open-back headphones and other equipment for listening at home.

The thing is, the IE800 is just awful if you're on the move. The seal is totally inadequate, and it's impossible to get third-party tips if the factory ones don't suffice. If I'm walking around listening, I'd rather have the IE80 with Copmly tips, which has a great seal for me – I can actually hear more that way. So the IE800 was effectively only useful to me for home listening – but was rendered superflous by HD600, 800, etc., that I'd gone out to buy.

Even worse, the thing is awfully built. The cable is too short, the headphones are soldered to it, etc etc. I'm already having problems with the cable – scratch/loss of signal – and I know that I won't be able to replace it because the drivers aren't detachable.

Given the asking price, I honestly can't recommend this, however good it can be under certain conditions. They need to sort out the cable, make the headphones detachable, and provide options for getting a better seal. If you're obsessive about high-quality audio on the move, you may as well pay for a custom IEM. If not, you're probably better sticking to open-backed headphones and listening at home.

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #6,860 of 7,990
  The thing is, the IE800 is just awful if you're on the move. 

I agree with your points: the IE800 is a goddess when hearing, and a horrible monster if you do the very slightest move. The cable is more than just an impertinence. I guess they needed months for engineering this brutal torture.

But what can I do, if I just want this sound? They have taken me hostage...   
deadhorse.gif

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #6,861 of 7,990

I agree with your points: the IE800 is a goddess when hearing, and a horrible monster if you do the very slightest move. The cable is more than just an impertinence. I guess they needed months for engineering this brutal torture.

But what can I do, if I just want this sound? They have taken me hostage...   
deadhorse.gif

Yes, just moving the head can cause all sorts of weird noises – both microphonics, and the sound from the ear cups moving. Drove me insane.

HD600 and HD800 from a decent amp are even better – it's the same "neutral" Sennheiser sound, though obviously not portable. I've read that Vision Ears customs are comparable. Since you're in Germany, it might be worth checking them out?

Apr 26, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #6,862 of 7,990
Yes, just moving the head can cause all sorts of weird noises – both microphonics, and the sound from the ear cups moving. Drove me insane.

HD600 and HD800 from a decent amp are even better – it's the same "neutral" Sennheiser sound, though obviously not portable. I've read that Vision Ears customs are comparable. Since you're in Germany, it might be worth checking them out?

A simple shirt clip solves the problem, in my experience.

Apr 27, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #6,864 of 7,990
A short clip does help a lot when using ie800!

But nowadays I even need one anymore. What I do need is to know why my ears are sweating so much as it makes wearing any IEM harder than it should be...
i suggest you give your ears a break from iems for 10 days, i am doing this every now and then and during that time i use headphones only

Apr 27, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #6,865 of 7,990
i suggest you give your ears a break from iems for 10 days, i am doing this every now and then and during that time i use headphones only

This is a very good idea!

After doing a medical check-up, it seems that I should stop using IEMs for even longer, but man they are ie800 and I miss their sound already!

Apr 27, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #6,866 of 7,990
This is a very good idea!

After doing a medical check-up, it seems that I should stop using IEMs for even longer, but man they are ie800 and I miss their sound already!

it was difficult for me, but its really advised you do it, after the wash out peroid use iems only on the go, while at home or office use headphones if you can wear headphones at work

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #6,867 of 7,990
it was difficult for me, but its really advised you do it, after the wash out peroid use iems only on the go, while at home or office use headphones if you can wear headphones at work

Thank you!

I will try to do this... Kinda sad that I can't enjoy ie800 right now... using them was a kind of fun in itself. The good thing though is that 99 Classics from Meze are very good and they provide endless fun while I can't use ie800.

Apr 27, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #6,868 of 7,990
Hey guys,

Glad to hear. Hopefully, there won't be too much of a price premium over the IE 800.

May 1, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #6,870 of 7,990
IMG_1366.JPG
Anyone here try the Gotor Audio Extension Cord remote with mic with the IE800,
Little pricey for remote/mic but ended up going for Sennheiser's own RCS800...now that the weather has improved I can start taking them for walks again..no need to pull my DAP or phone out just to pause the music, answer calls etc, etc...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back