Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Mar 17, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #6,646 of 7,990
  You've dashed my high hopes from Hungaria...

frown.gif

I know what you mean and I'm sorry for that...  

I have to say I was surprised from the first minute I unpacked them: they are so stiff, and other than I remember to have read, they don't have any foam characteristic. 

Strange, because the guy introducing them here (don't remember who) should have told us. At least somebody made sort of a recommendation, otherwise I wouldn't have bought them.

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You're right, the stock ones can be made to work as long as you don't move a muscle.

I have to say that I wasn't immediately happy with the fit (but also not really unhappy). But after carefully and extensively experimenting (I ended with oval M left and round M right) I did find the fit quite well. To give an impression: left fits the millisecond I plug them in, right needs 5..10 seconds of "optimizing" on the high level achieved with the very first plug.

But then they sit like specially made for me, they isolate quite well (a good measure of the quality of the fit), and they are reasonably insensitive to jaw movements. I tried to imagine whether I could eat with them. Probably even that, if it wouldn't be just a giant sized hamburger... :wink:

The more I think about it, the more I want to highlight the importance of selecting the right ear tips, and I believe, that even very subtle manufacturing tolerances can have an influence. So it might have helped for me, that I tried from a wealth of clone tips and some Sennheiser's. Anecdotal remark: the two tips I use now are both clones. I cannot really argue why, maybe it's my somewhat "Scottish" mentality :wink:

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #6,647 of 7,990

I have to say that I wasn't immediately happy with the fit (but also not really unhappy). But after carefully and extensively experimenting (I ended with oval M left and round M right) I did find the fit quite well. To give an impression: left fits the millisecond I plug them in, right needs 5..10 seconds of "optimizing" on the high level achieved with the very first plug.

But then they sit like specially made for me, they isolate quite well (a good measure of the quality of the fit), and they are reasonably insensitive to jaw movements. I tried to imagine whether I could eat with them. Probably even that, if it wouldn't be just a giant sized hamburger... :wink:

The more I think about it, the more I want to highlight the importance of selecting the right ear tips, and I believe, that even very subtle manufacturing tolerances can have an influence. So it might have helped for me, that I tried from a wealth of clone tips and some Sennheiser's. Anecdotal remark: the two tips I use now are both clones. I cannot really argue why, maybe it's my somewhat "Scottish" mentality :wink:

You've given me some motivation to play around with the fit.

I also never thought about fitting them asymmetrically either.  Thanx for that!

I'll add the Hungarians to my collection box...

Mar 17, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #6,648 of 7,990

I had used this adapter, with Noble's bluetooth clip. Though it's TRRS, both channels worked fine.

I recommend this TRS adapter, to be on the safe side.

Sooooo many thanks!

May I ask, what's "TRRS" and "TRS"?

BTW: I also have a Noble BTS, but its battery is extremely weak (max. 1.5-2 hours)

It's the pin configuration. Tip-Ring-Ring-Sleeve (TRRS) vs Tip-Ring-Sleeve (TRS).

When plugging TRRS male in to TRS female:
Based on where the pin contact is available for Sleeve(in the female part), you may/may-not hear one of the channels.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #6,650 of 7,990
  About the fit: On ie800, the fit is the hardest thing to get right. But when you do, you do get it right 
etysmile.gif

Agreed. 

But what else should be hard? Listening?

And it's no magic, it's just work. And not extremely much, but it must be done, and carefully.

Trying to escape into miracle solutions is just, hmmm... "escaping into miracle solutions"... 
etysmile.gif

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #6,651 of 7,990

Agreed. 

But what else should be hard? Listening?

And it's no magic, it's just work. And not extremely much, but it must be done, and carefully.

Trying to escape into miracle solutions is just, hmmm... "escaping into miracle solutions"... 
etysmile.gif

Oh, with some headphones, EQ can be hard, with some the noise leakeage can be too much / isolation too little, there can be problems in sound. 

With ie800, to get the right can be hard. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #6,652 of 7,990

Oh, with some headphones, EQ can be hard, with some the noise leakeage can be too much / isolation too little, there can be problems in sound. 

With ie800, to get the right can be hard. 

Not sure, what you really mean... I'm not talking about headphones...

And with the IE800 finding a good-to-perfect fit is not easy, but it can be done with some consciousness, planning and care.

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #6,653 of 7,990

Not sure, what you really mean... I'm not talking about headphones...

And with the IE800 finding a good-to-perfect fit is not easy, but it can be done with some consciousness, planning and care.

For some reason the IE800 fits in my ears perfect with whatever size ear adaptors they come installed with (medium?). I get perfect seal with no need to fiddle around. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #6,654 of 7,990
  Remote controlling for iPhone/IE800?

Does anybody know a reasonable solution/adapter for controlling (volume, back/forward) the IE800 on an iPhone? Because I don't want to have to go to the players menu for doing this.

Sennheisers cable adapter RCS800 doesn't work fully with iPhones and costs $140, so this really doesn't make sense for me.

My ideal remote control adapter cable would accept the 2.5 mm jack and thus substitute Sennheisers 2.5->3.5mm adapter cable. But also a short additional adapter cable 3.5->3.5mm might be a consideration.

I have a Fiio in line remote/amp (no longer in production) that works quite well, but on their website they have this:
http://www.fiio.net/en/products/67

I hope it helps

Mar 18, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #6,657 of 7,990
Mmmh.....I don't think so, actually the 2.5mm plug, connected to the earbuds , receive the two separate cables coming from them but it' s a TRS type, not TRRS,  which means the need to cut off this plug in order to get four separate lines to allow the TRRS configuration.....and it's just what I would avoid.

Mar 18, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #6,658 of 7,990
Some time ago I wrote to Sennheiser germany asking whether the balanced option would be taken in account for the new IEM flagship an the reply was  "most probably!"........so, cross fingers and wait a bit!

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #6,659 of 7,990
Some time ago I wrote to Sennheiser germany asking whether the balanced option would be taken in account for the new IEM flagship an the reply was  "most probably!"........so, cross fingers and wait a bit!

I expect there to be an S version at some point, and it makes perfect sense it would incorporate improvements to the original design as well as offering a balanced connection. One only has to look at the HD800/800S experience to come to this conclusion.

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #6,660 of 7,990
I have just tried some old iems of mine I have not tried in years.  My old V-Moda Vibes.  I figured out that iems with shallow insertion do not work for my ears.  Would the ie800 be one for me to avoid then?  i am sure I would really like the sound, but the fit could be deal breaker.

Thank you

Riley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back