Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Nov 22, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #5,836 of 7,990
I've got customs , the 5 driver ACS Encore Studio Pro. The have harder hitting bass but are not as good in the mids and highs for me. I don't find the IE800s thin sounding at all. I believe if someone is finding them a little thin sounding for their tastes that the addition of something like the quality of the Chord Mojo would help in that department

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #5,837 of 7,990
  for someone that has no posting record and out of no where, jump into headfi, comparing $800 iem with $1299 iem.

i smelled paid advertisement.

I'm generally against this type of thinking, but it took me a good while before understanding what I want, even more time to understand sound and how it works... Plus, I do have my own feelings about ie800 being beaten by anything not only something more expensive. IT's more about the signature than it is about the technical performance... 

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #5,838 of 7,990

I'm generally against this type of thinking, but it took me a good while before understanding what I want, even more time to understand sound and how it works... Plus, I do have my own feelings about ie800 being beaten by anything not only something more expensive. IT's more about the signature than it is about the technical performance... 

which type of thinking? the paid advertisement or the ' 1 year crunch out flagships more than sennheiser akg beyer combined' kind of totl earphone with ' omg omg omg' they are so  great and technically ( insert audiophile terms). 

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #5,839 of 7,990
Interestingly i note that to have the best of IE800 i have to always keep the tips clean and free of wax. When they get oily i lose quality, more than other iems.

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #5,840 of 7,990
  which type of thinking? the paid advertisement or the ' 1 year crunch out flagships more than sennheiser akg beyer combined' kind of totl earphone with ' omg omg omg' they are so  great and technically ( insert audiophile terms). 

The mentality that a user with only a few posts should not talk 
biggrin.gif

It's not the most friendly thing out there... But as I sait earlier, it is slightly correct, especially when it comes to very expensive stuff, it;s best for people who tested a ton of things to speak because they burned themselves already and someone with enough burns can speak best about getting burned., 

I don't want to think how much money I churned from hobby searching for something false until I found the thing I was actually looking for. The thing is that I had no idea what I actually wanted for a long time, before finding out. 

Interestingly i note that to have the best of IE800 i have to always keep the tips clean and free of wax. When they get oily i lose quality, more than other iems.

Totally the same with my experience! 

Ie800 needs to be cleaned if you're one of us with oily ears!

Ie800 loses not only SQ but also the fit and the seal break very fast if the tips get to be oily, but after cleaning them, everything is back. 

To alleviate the problem, I also wash my face, ears and use some water+soap or perioxyde inside ears to ensure that I get the best experience. 

Ears that are not perfectly clean will not hear their best .

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #5,841 of 7,990
So sad!  I had to return the IE800s I purchased on the classifieds because of the hardened cable issue on the left side.  So I'm looking to purchase new so I can get the warranty.  However, just about everyone is out of stock including Sennheiser.  Are these being discontinued?

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #5,843 of 7,990
  So sad!  I had to return the IE800s I purchased on the classifieds because of the hardened cable issue on the left side.  So I'm looking to purchase new so I can get the warranty.  However, just about everyone is out of stock including Sennheiser.  Are these being discontinued?

Sennheiser might replace the cables either way - for a little fee. 

Ie800 is not discontinued to my knowledge, and it would be sad to see those gems go - their sound still enriches my music every single time I use them. 
  I don't have the faintest idea, but it makes me hope: an IE800S could be in the pipeline, and if so, also my real dream may come true: I'm waiting like crazy for a Bluetooth version of the IE800...

You can buy a bluetooth receiver at any time and use ie800 with it, why not do this, if you want a bluetooth IEM? 

I seriously doubt there is a large market for 700$ bluetooth IEMs around, but buying a bluetooth receiver is crazy cheap and some of them are (all of them are) better than buying an IEM with the receiver integrated... 

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #5,845 of 7,990
  You can buy a bluetooth receiver at any time and use ie800 with it, why not do this, if you want a bluetooth IEM? 

I seriously doubt there is a large market for 700$ bluetooth IEMs around, but buying a bluetooth receiver is crazy cheap and some of them are (all of them are) better than buying an IEM with the receiver integrated... 

I had already ordered a Noble BTS for combining it with my Sony MDR-EX1000 (the EX1000 probably being sufficiently close to the IE800), but before entering into all the technical hazzle I sent the BTS back.

I want a clean design, optically, technically, and comfort-wise, and I'm damn sure that Sennheiser will introduce a high end BT IEM not too far from now. Maybe not in the IE800 class, but probbably they will even do that. The market pull after the iPhone 7 introduction will cause it.

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #5,846 of 7,990

Tried one of these the other day, $20 I believe, but with its current limited bandwidth I don’t believe bluetooth really does the IE800s justice

…still  not bad considering the on board amplification and they do turn any non Bluetooth headset into one.

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #5,847 of 7,990
  Tried one of these the other day, $20 I believe, but with its current limited bandwidth I don’t believe bluetooth really does the IE800s justice

…still  not bad considering the on board amplification and they do turn any non Bluetooth headset into one.

Sorry.... I'm very biased against bluetooth.... I like ie800 having full power of X5ii to give me the best sound - and I'm not the type who would settle for BT, but for someone wanting it, it might work! 

From what I gather most that sent them in under warranty got replacement IE800s.  The would probably want to charge me for the whole upper assembly which would cost way too much so I returned them to the previous owner and will purchase new.

I've no idea what the fee would be, but buying new means you also get the lower cable new, and new batches don't harden up. 

I had already ordered a Noble BTS for combining it with my Sony MDR-EX1000 (the EX1000 probably being sufficiently close to the IE800), but before entering into all the technical hazzle I sent the BTS back.

I want a clean design, optically, technically, and comfort-wise, and I'm damn sure that Sennheiser will introduce a high end BT IEM not too far from now. Maybe not in the IE800 class, but probbably they will even do that. The market pull after the iPhone 7 introduction will cause it.

The market pull after iphone 7 is something I dislike due to my own bias - so I'm not being 100% fair - and I have to admit this. 

I never liked BT sound for anything and I never will. 

Ie800 needs a lot of amplification - something an X5ii can provide, and something a phone cannot provide, a laptop on board audio cannot provide and something that most cheap DAC solutions cannot provide. 

For a IEM to work BT, it would technically have to be designed for this - but even then I would still buy a separate DAP and contect it with wires... I carry a 6.44" phone with me for screen size alone as I need it so owning and carrying a DAP is actually nice for me - but market is based on demand and offer - as long as the market demands something - satisfying that demand is the smart way to go. 

This doesn't mean I am not working on improving BT tech myself through my projects, just not using it. I know how good it can be. Still uncomfortable with it. Even if I work on it... Sorry,... 
redface.gif

Nov 23, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #5,848 of 7,990
  The market pull after iphone 7 is something I dislike due to my own bias - so I'm not being 100% fair - and I have to admit this. 

I never liked BT sound for anything and I never will. 

Ie800 needs a lot of amplification - something an X5ii can provide, and something a phone cannot provide, a laptop on board audio cannot provide and something that most cheap DAC solutions cannot provide. 

For a IEM to work BT, it would technically have to be designed for this - but even then I would still buy a separate DAP and contect it with wires... I carry a 6.44" phone with me for screen size alone as I need it so owning and carrying a DAP is actually nice for me - but market is based on demand and offer - as long as the market demands something - satisfying that demand is the smart way to go. 

This doesn't mean I am not working on improving BT tech myself through my projects, just not using it. I know how good it can be. Still uncomfortable with it. Even if I work on it... Sorry,... 
redface.gif

I have to say I believe to understand what you mean. And for you as a - supposedly - real audiophile guy you cannot accept limitations directly or indirectly imposed by BT, without disgust.

My viewpoint is different in that I don't shoot for the very highest possible quality. But this doesn't yet make me like unnecessary drawbacks.

And not shooting for the very highest possible quality gives me some freedom in return: I'm not forced to accept inconveniences like a separate DAC, or any cable hazzle, or whatsoever... And if the IEM part of the chain is better than the BT part, I accept that (if the balance is not ridiculously distorted). So, yes, I'm looking forward with joy to a high end BT IEM from Sennheiser. And I'm quite sure they will use a "800" in the name. They would be silly if not doing so...

Nov 23, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #5,850 of 7,990
Hi George, I know x5 then x5ii coupled with ie800 has been your dream team for years now. Just thought I read on another forum that you had sold the x5? But see you still mentioning it? Did you replace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back