Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Aug 4, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #3,977 of 7,990
So I have been reading and following this thread for about a month, while at the same time selling some gear and saving up $800 with the end goal of purchasing the IE800 or comparable IEM. I have been favoring the IE800 since deciding to venture into the world of IEM phones. Reading all the great reviews concerning the sound and the characteristic that many have described appears to be the sound I am looking for. However, the one thing that holds me back is the dreaded cable issue. Some say it stiffens, some say they have no issues, some say it has horrible microphonic issues, and some say no microphonics. As well, some complain of the fit; that it is too shallow and easily fall out. Well here is my scenario, I will only be using these while sitting at my desk at work and relaxing at home. So basically my use will be while I am stationary and/or relaxing. Do I need to worry about the horror stories of the cables? Am I going to experience much microphonics while sitting still with occassional slight head movement that is required to scan two computer monitors and documents on my desk? Also if I decide on these IEM's can anyone recommend a good cable clip?

Thanks for any input.

Aug 5, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #3,981 of 7,990
So I have been reading and following this thread for about a month, while at the same time selling some gear and saving up $800 with the end goal of purchasing the IE800 or comparable IEM. I have been favoring the IE800 since deciding to venture into the world of IEM phones. Reading all the great reviews concerning the sound and the characteristic that many have described appears to be the sound I am looking for. However, the one thing that holds me back is the dreaded cable issue. Some say it stiffens, some say they have no issues, some say it has horrible microphonic issues, and some say no microphonics. As well, some complain of the fit; that it is too shallow and easily fall out. Well here is my scenario, I will only be using these while sitting at my desk at work and relaxing at home. So basically my use will be while I am stationary and/or relaxing. Do I need to worry about the horror stories of the cables? Am I going to experience much microphonics while sitting still with occassional slight head movement that is required to scan two computer monitors and documents on my desk? Also if I decide on these IEM's can anyone recommend a good cable clip?

Thanks for any input.

I use one of these cable clips all the time with the IE800, and wear them "down", as opposed to over the ear.

I also tend to use the IE800 while sitting or walking around the house. With the cable clip sitting just below the y-splitter, and the clip attached to ones shirt collar, the cables leading to each ear bud are, effectively, immobile. In fact, I would surmise that even IF I experienced cable hardening, it wouldn't make any difference.

As far as I'm concerned, the cable clip is my ultimate solution to eliminating the microphonics (which yes, are atrocious for something in this price range). And BTW, you may want to look into getting them at Sonic Electronix. You can "name your own price" there. They might accept, or they might counter offer. That's how I got my IE800 for substantially below MSRP.

Aug 5, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #3,982 of 7,990
  I use one of these cable clips all the time with the IE800, and wear them "down", as opposed to over the ear.

I also tend to use the IE800 while sitting or walking around the house. With the cable clip sitting just below the y-splitter, and the clip attached to ones shirt collar, the cables leading to each ear bud are, effectively, immobile. In fact, I would surmise that even IF I experienced cable hardening, it wouldn't make any difference.

As far as I'm concerned, the cable clip is my ultimate solution to eliminating the microphonics (which yes, are atrocious for something in this price range). And BTW, you may want to look into getting them at Sonic Electronix. You can "name your own price" there. They might accept, or they might counter offer. That's how I got my IE800 for substantially below MSRP.

Thanks so much, Conext, for your reply.  Very informative!  So, microphonics aside, are you pleased with the IE800 and find them a worthy investment?

Aug 5, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #3,983 of 7,990

Thanks so much, Conext, for your reply.  Very informative!  So, microphonics aside, are you pleased with the IE800 and find them a worthy investment?

Are they a worthy investment?

Well, let me put it this way: I wanted to get a taste of what the uber high-end IEM world had to offer. But no way in hell I want to spend four figures to find out. And, I wasn't entirely ready to jump into BA drivers. At a price well under the MSRP for what is essentially a ToTL, dynamic driver IEM, I think the IE800 is worth it.

Compared to my previous workhorse, Sony MDR-7550, it does offer substantial sonic benefits. The clarity and detail that it offers above the 7550 (which itself is not exactly a cheap IEM) surprised even me. In fact, I haven't been able to go back to the 7550s because they sound so muffled and veiled in comparison.

I'm still somewhat annoyed by the IE800's ability to reveal how poorly a given track was recorded—bringing out the sibilance front and center. But on properly recorded and mastered audio? I honestly have a difficult time imagining anything sounding better.

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #3,986 of 7,990
Anyone knows how to? or has any pictures taking apart the IE800 for recabling? The wires are still stiff on the left iem despite 2x,xxx serial number and the warranty has passed, and seems like over the ear can only be done with a recabled version of the ie800.

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #3,987 of 7,990
What the IE800, could have been with a removable cable. Campfire Audio - Lyra.

Aug 5, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #3,988 of 7,990
mathi8vadhanan said:
 What the IE800, could have been

"it’s one of the better musical mid-tier IEM’s out there"

Ha ha, no, the Lyra doesn't look to be in the same league.

Aug 5, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #3,989 of 7,990
  Anyone knows how to? or has any pictures taking apart the IE800 for recabling? The wires are still stiff on the left iem despite 2x,xxx serial number and the warranty has passed, and seems like over the ear can only be done with a recabled version of the ie800.

I've been always wondering what makes the cable become stiff. Is it humidity, sweat, age or something else? What makes it stiff? Is it kevlar threads or rubber problem? Hmm...

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #3,990 of 7,990

I've been always wondering what makes the cable become stiff. Is it humidity, sweat, age or something else? What makes it stiff? Is it kevlar threads or rubber problem? Hmm...

I'm sorta in awe of how stiff my left cable has become and am wondering the same.  There appears to be no visual indication of any damage, yellowing etc.  It's as if someone shoved an invisible, very stiff, memory wire in it.  It's very odd to experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back