Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
May 7, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,908 of 7,990
I love these EIM but I have a hard time keeping them in my ears - they keep sliding out (or my left side does).... Do anyone know some good foam tips or just other tips that fits on these without altering the SQ too much?

May 7, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #1,909 of 7,990
I love these EIM but I have a hard time keeping them in my ears - they keep sliding out (or my left side does).... Do anyone know some good foam tips or just other tips that fits on these without altering the SQ too much?

A couple of the Comply tips work well for me, no obvious SQ change.
T200's work best, 500's are okay. Search the thread for more discussion on this.

May 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #1,910 of 7,990
I had the chance to listen to the IE800 today and to my surprise, I actually liked them quite a bit.

Coming from a pair of UM Merlins, I was especially impressed with the treble. Compared to the IE800, the treble of the Merlins sounds a lot more recessed. I'm very sensitive when it comes to treble and to me the IE800 trebles are very smooth with good extension while far from being harsh. But I wish it would have some more "weight" to it though. On certain tracks the treble sounds too thin for me and therefore  can come across as a bit unrealistic. 

Being a basshead and loving the bass of my Merlins, I was skeptical that the IE800 wouldn't have enough bass for me. Oooohh, was I wrong! 
I listened to a variety of HipHop, Pop and EDM tracks and not once did I have the desire for more bass. Extension is nice and low with a slight emphasis on sub-bass. Detail and speed is also good but not quite on par with my Merlins. 

Mids are probably one of the nicest I've ever heard. Very refined and clear with lots of details. If I would have to describe them with one word it would be "natural". 

Overall, I was very impressed with the IE800. It's once of the most balanced IEMs I've heard with good extension on both ends.
My only two gripes would the that it doesn't have detachable cables and that the trebles are a bit too thin. 

Now I'm seriously considering getting a more balanced IEM with a good treble extension to go along with my Merlins.
Any other recommendations?  

May 7, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #1,912 of 7,990
I guess,if IE800 could have full-detachable cable,it would collapse the market.It can be lifelong too.

And the price wouldn't drop quickly.

May 7, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #1,913 of 7,990
I'm very sensitive when it comes to treble and to me the IE800 trebles are very smooth with good extension while far from being harsh. But I wish it would have some more "weight" to it though. On certain tracks the treble sounds too thin for me and therefore  can come across as a bit unrealistic. 

Overall, I was very impressed with the IE800. It's once of the most balanced IEMs I've heard with good extension on both ends.
My only two gripes would the that it doesn't have detachable cables and that the trebles are a bit too thin. 

Now I'm seriously considering getting a more balanced IEM with a good treble extension to go along with my Merlins.
Any other recommendations?  

Those are exactly my 2 gripes.  The treble is nicely extended. It can be delicately pretty... and I actually do like it much of the time.  But it is not realistic.

For me, the answer to the treble extension with "weight" is the K3003...my favorite treble.  And it still has great bass and mids.

May 8, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #1,915 of 7,990

Those are exactly my 2 gripes.  The treble is nicely extended. It can be delicately pretty... and I actually do like it much of the time.  But it is not realistic.

For me, the answer to the treble extension with "weight" is the K3003...my favorite treble.  And it still has great bass and mids.

I'd love to try them but unfortunately here in Germany none of my local stores have demo units. 

May 12, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #1,916 of 7,990
IE800s have it all: superb bass, mids and treble. What's even better is they're also so gentle on ears, I can listen to them for hours. I'm not sure if anyone could make better IEMs, ever.

May 12, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #1,917 of 7,990
  IE800s have it all: superb bass, mids and treble. What's even better is they're also so gentle on ears, I can listen to them for hours. I'm not sure if anyone could make better IEMs, ever.

Totally agree, except for the last sentence - a longer y-split and less microphonic cable would be seen as big improvements for many.  The good news is that these are easily fixed by Sennheiser for a mk2 version with little or no actual engineering required.

May 13, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #1,918 of 7,990

Yup, I have the K3003 too and these make an excellent pairing IMO (I use the K3 for some Classical and all New Age). Currently I've added the Shure SE846 which has a beautiful treble but not the versatility across Genres that the IE800 has. I've become quite a fan-boy of the IE800 over the past months. My go to earphones.

It's love! The IE800 would be my choice if I had to just keep one.

May 14, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #1,919 of 7,990
It's love! The IE800 would be my choice if I had to just keep one.

If I had to keep just one, it would be the K3003 (although if Sennheiser fixed the non-sound related issues, it might persuade me other otherwise).

But, like you, I am choosing to keep BOTH  
etysmile.gif

May 16, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #1,920 of 7,990
I decided to take the risk and buy the IE800's without being able to test them.

Comparing them to my Momentum's it's not even funny how bad the Momentum sounds after listening to IE800. I always thought the Momentum was an excellent headphone and the first time I listened to the IE800 I thought they were nothing special. However after listening to them a while and then switching back to Momentum it was like someone put a few layers of thick lead between the speaker and my ear. Details were missing, mids were severely recessed, bass was muddy, highs were so rolled off I thought they weren't at all.

It's funny really. I didn't think the IE800 was good UNTIL I switched back to my other headphones.

The oval eartips fit pretty well in my ear, but there's a small pressure that gets somewhat irritating after a few hours. Has anyone found the round tips to be better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back