Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Apr 15, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #1,817 of 7,990
mine came with a clear circular sticker on either side

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #1,818 of 7,990
Good to hear. Close to ordering them but I've been unable to audition them.

For the owners, do you find that it operates similarly to a full sized over the ear can like the HD598 or 580? Not in terms of soundstage as that is a matter of physics, but in terms of details and image separation. Also do bass notes have detail?

My only iem currently is the Sony ex85, which while v nice and airy due to it's hybrid design has little detailing in the highs and the lows, tho they are fun to listen to.

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #1,819 of 7,990
To me, with you having an (sorry to say this) low-end IEM, you will find the difference problematic to begin with...

You'll find they sound exceedingly bright / bassy - but, sit with them for a while (hide the EX85s, let the dog chew the cable or otherwise), and persevere with the IE800, and - once your ears adjust, they are sooooo clear that it isn't even funny...

The majority, if not all IEMs / Headphones up to at least the Sennheiser Amperior sound nasally, congested, and generally quite dead sound when compared to the IE800, but - it is quite a steep learning curve...

Everything is a major step up over what you currently have, the biggest difference you'll find overall is with bass - to some, the IE800 bass is 'excessive', so YMMV on that, but - what you will get is definition - no more Whomp Whomp Whomp one note bass from those Sonys - oh, and the mids... yes, the mids - Hmm, they'll make you want to listen to all of your music all over again - it is just so precise :)

Enjoy!

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #1,821 of 7,990
  mine came with a clear circular sticker on either side

mine too
  For the IE800 owners, could I check if the phones come packaged in the box with a sticker seal or label seal on it?

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiqKWdII8Go - you can see their location and the box itself in this video :)

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #1,822 of 7,990
  I've dug out today my old JVC FX500, which - back in the day were classed as 'bright', they sound positively dull compared to the IE800 (as do the FI-BA-SS that I have, but with nasty coloration too)...

... and the mids... yes, the mids - Hmm, they'll make you want to listen to all of your music all over again - it is just so precise :)

Imo the FI-BA-SS are actually less colored than the IE800 overall, but I'll agree that they can't touch the Senn's mids.

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #1,823 of 7,990
Apologies...

for the record, I made a mistake - I have the FI-BA-BS, NOT the SS...

Apologies for confusion!

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #1,824 of 7,990
I'm expecting a big difference with the ex85, but my main expectation is to be able to have a close experience with my hd598s with the ie800s, or would I be setting expectations too high?
smily_headphones1.gif

You are setting expectations too low.  

The ie800 is much more enjoyable than the hd598 IMO.

But as Duncan mentioned, there is much more bass than hd598.  The sound signatures are not similar.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #1,825 of 7,990
You are setting expectations too low.  

The ie800 is much more enjoyable than the hd598 IMO.

But as Duncan mentioned, there is much more bass than hd598.  The sound signatures are not similar.

Far too low. In my opinion they don't trail too far behind my Fostex TH900, which are full sized cans costing twice as much. :wink:

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #1,826 of 7,990
Am I one of the few who really enjoys the IE800's bass? Because there is so little mid-bass, the IE800's sub-bass focus acts like a nice subwoofer. I actually don't even hear much bass at all when the music doesn't have much sub-bass encoded.

And then that midrange. I think I would marry it if it materialized in the form of a woman.

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #1,827 of 7,990
Yes.I enjoy too.IE800's bass response is so good.Resolved,deep and free-distortion.

You should enjoy more with Hans Zimmer Soundtracks. (Batman Series) And you can test it.Especially ''I'm Not A Hero''.You should really listen to.

Which player do you listen with ? 

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #1,828 of 7,990
I also love the IE800s and their midrange and bass response.  My absolute favorite IEMs--I like them a lot better than customs.  I am anxiously awaiting getting them back from Peter at DoubleHelix and listening to them in balanced mode on the AK240 after his retermination mod.  

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #1,829 of 7,990
  Am I one of the few who really enjoys the IE800's bass? Because there is so little mid-bass, the IE800's sub-bass focus acts like a nice subwoofer. I actually don't even hear much bass at all when the music doesn't have much sub-bass encoded.

And then that midrange. I think I would marry it if it materialized in the form of a woman.

There is definitely presence in the midbass, especially when comparing to the SE846 or K3003. But I think the over all sig of the IE800 is more enjoyable to me.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 17, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #1,830 of 7,990
I also really enjoyed the IE800's bass.

I'm thinking of buying them again. The treble was a little thin, but otherwise the detailed mids and sub-bass were great.

For those who found the treble harsh, I wonder if the resonance chamber wasn't quite working on those sets? Because, it was a well-extended and fatigue free treble for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back