Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Feb 16, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #6,466 of 7,990

The treble was piercingly loud in some music. For example Oasis's Definitely Maybe album, the electric guitar in most songs was piercing. But I think it could have been a lot to do with the fit of the earphones as they were an odd shape and dug into my ear when I tried to get them as deep as possible and to get a seal. I don't think they're bad at all because I suspect the problem was down to the tips and fit, but I tried all the included tips including the Comply ones. I have pretty small ears too.

Music I listen to is mostly rock/hard rock. Lately mostly Nirvana (unplugged is one of my favourite albums ever), Oasis, Gary Clark Jr, The Black Keys, Black Pistol Fire to give an idea. But I also like listening to orchestral music from game soundtracks as well as some electronic music on occasion.

I found the IE800's pretty good for rock music especially things that are classics. Rock's not my main genre but from what I threw at it, it handled it without any issues. They have a quality about them that can bring life to old tracks. It sounds live as if you were transported to the studio. I turned on some old remastered beatles albums and wow. Other IEM's even with the remastered versions still sounded lifeless and like old recordings. Not the IE800.

You can always post up some photos to check if the IE800's are real or not. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #6,467 of 7,990
Thanks Cellarbro.
It's probably something I'll end up doing. I'm pretty adamant about getting the real deal, especially with things this expensive.
What you said with regards to the sound of music through them seems to match what I've been reading from others.

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #6,468 of 7,990

So I have to say that after getting the SE846 in yesterday and trying them out, I originally wasn't happy that the IE800's had a better sense of detail and clarity. I was like is this thing worth $1000? It doesn't sound as great compared to my IE800 but after bringing them out around I can say that even in just one single day, the SE846 have easily stolen the title from the IE800's as the best portables.

The fact that, people have to consider recabling and finding methods to stop cable noise is nonsense. My grips with the IE800 were the short cable, microphonic, average isolation, fatiguing, non detachable cable. The SE846 literally has none of those issues. I took these to work with me and boy do they isolate. Isolate so well that I didn't hear the rumbling of the NYC subway while commuting. I didn't find the need to crank the volume up way above the regular listening volume to compensate for poor isolation.

The 846's are soo comfortable and non fatiguing. I had them on for 6+ hours without much of a break and my ears are still fine. The slight roll off at the top can be heard and a little annoying when you first hear it  but they are the masters of making an IEM with incredible isolation, bass, depth, and comfort. The IE800's are definitely better in treble and higher in clarity, detail and sound stage. The top end of the 846 isn't even all that bad, but noticeable coming from the IE800. Take them for a day out in the city where you get normally poor isolation and you will quickly change your mind. Both built like tanks, but I somehow feel that the 846 are more tanky due to the cable being detachable. 

I have found the IE800's to be kind of fatiguing to listen to and a genre specific IEM. Where some songs and genre's don't have a fun resolving musical characteristic about them. (Electronic music on the IE800)

Se846 do everything really and don't seem to have any harshness or trouble handling any kind of genre but are not as 'sharp sounding or detailed when it comes to the upper end.

Literally opposites of one another. I have to say that even after a short listening on the SE846, I prefer them (SE846) for an all around, every day carry. While the IE800 are if I want to hear super clear, wonderfully musical rock, classical, film score, acoustic music while at home. Still very impressed with both and really really glad I didn't pay the full retail price for them both. Which helps me rationalize spending this kind of money. 

Sorry for the long post. I remember discussing it with you about what I thought of the SE846 compared to the IE800.

For me it was between the Shure SE535LTD-J and Senn IE800... and I choose the Shures for nearly all the same reasons you did.  I as well just couldn't get a good fit with the IE800s and they didn't seem that much better than the Senn IE8/80s... though I do have small ears and have minor hearing damage.

I have been very disappointed in a lot of the flagship/hi-end models as of late... I actually couldn't discern a difference between the SE535s and the SE846s and the SE846s were actually too large for my ears to fit well and they were nearly as fatiguing as the IE800s.  Then when I went to buy a pair of JVC Woody FX1200s I ended up with the lower model FX750s instead at nearly half the price! (see here for why). And now, recently, I have given away my dust-covered Audeze LCD-2s (they were too heavy, sweaty, and offered poor isolation) because of a surprisingly fun, long-listening, well-isolating, timbre-clear, super-comfortable pair of B&O H6s. Go figure!

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #6,469 of 7,990
After all the very high end and high sophistication discussions here comes a very basic question:

We all know Sennheisers "Bass Adjustment-/ Cleaning Tool CX / IE Series", as they officially call it.

I can well understand the cleaning function, but how about the "Bass Adjustment"?

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #6,470 of 7,990
  After all the very high end and high sophistication discussions here comes a very basic question:

We all know Sennheisers "Bass Adjustment-/ Cleaning Tool CX / IE Series", as they officially call it.

I can well understand the cleaning function, but how about the "Bass Adjustment"?

You're curious how it works? 

It's a semi open design, where you can either open or close the bass port 
beyersmile.png

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #6,472 of 7,990

Very curious!

I didn't find anything on the web about it.

Do you recommend tinkering around with it, and if Yes, how do I do that?

Just find your best setting (?) 

I owned ie8's for a long long time and with the setting at lowest the bass was already much for me. I would use a custom mod where I would cover the port with duct tape, the sound becoming tighter. 

Opening it at max will give you biggest soundstage and most bass. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #6,473 of 7,990

Just find your best setting (?) 

I owned ie8's for a long long time and with the setting at lowest the bass was already much for me. I would use a custom mod where I would cover the port with duct tape, the sound becoming tighter. 

Opening it at max will give you biggest soundstage and most bass. 

Thanks for trying to help me :wink:

But so early in the morning my cognitive capabilities may be still too low for such advanced things... :wink:

What means "Opening it at max"? How do I set this with this instrument? I guess mechanically, but how???   
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #6,474 of 7,990

Thanks for trying to help me :wink:

But so early in the morning my cognitive capabilities may be still too low for such advanced things... :wink:

What means "Opening it at max"? How do I set this with this instrument? I guess mechanically, but how???   
confused_face_2.gif

It's like turning a screw 
biggrin.gif

You have a minimum and a maximum after which it will not turn. The port you see itself opens mechanically and it lets more or less air pass. 

You have some small indentations on the side of the bass tuning mechanism, when you put in the mechanism you will have one side of the plastic screw pointing at the part with indentations - turn it between min and max, use a slow and fine motion. 

It literally acts like a screw that can be either tightened or loosened 
etysmile.gif

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #6,475 of 7,990

It's like turning a screw 
biggrin.gif

You have a minimum and a maximum after which it will not turn. The port you see itself opens mechanically and it lets more or less air pass. 

You have some small indentations on the side of the bass tuning mechanism, when you put in the mechanism you will have one side of the plastic screw pointing at the part with indentations - turn it between min and max, use a slow and fine motion. 

It literally acts like a screw that can be either tightened or loosened 
etysmile.gif

Tnaks a lot, and from your pictures I can understand it well, but this is not the IE800.

Does it also work somehow with the IE800?

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #6,476 of 7,990
Inquiry closed :wink:

I just got a phone call from Sennheiser support, and the bass enhancement function indeed does not work with the IE800.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #6,477 of 7,990
  Inquiry closed :wink:

I just got a phone call from Sennheiser support, and the bass enhancement function indeed does not work with the IE800.

Oh, I thought you were asking about ie8 when you meant bass enhancement function 
wink.gif

It only works with ie8,. Ie800 has helmholts resonnators that help with the bass and that help alleviate the natural  occuring treble spike 

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #6,479 of 7,990
  For me it was between the Shure SE535LTD-J and Senn IE800... and I choose the Shures for nearly all the same reasons you did.  I as well just couldn't get a good fit with the IE800s and they didn't seem that much better than the Senn IE8/80s... though I do have small ears and have minor hearing damage.

I have been very disappointed in a lot of the flagship/hi-end models as of late... I actually couldn't discern a difference between the SE535s and the SE846s and the SE846s were actually too large for my ears to fit well and they were nearly as fatiguing as the IE800s.  Then when I went to buy a pair of JVC Woody FX1200s I ended up with the lower model FX750s instead at nearly half the price! (see here for why). And now, recently, I have given away my dust-covered Audeze LCD-2s (they were too heavy, sweaty, and offered poor isolation) because of a surprisingly fun, long-listening, well-isolating, timbre-clear, super-comfortable pair of B&O H6s. Go figure!

I guess the size and shape of our ears make it a factor of what we enjoy or not. I have heard the 535's lacking in bass but the majority of the sound signature is the same between the 535 and the 846 give or take a little extra detail and space.

I also thought about the 535 when it went on sale earlier this month for around 300$. At 500 it didn't seem like so appealing to me. I also have sometimes a sense of upgraditis. So springing 535 will definitely make me question if they are good enough. Had no intentions of seeking out the se836 but I have read extensively on them when I was looking to buy the IE800. When they went on sale and hit the price of 700$ brand new, I couldn't resist. I stumbled upon someone talking about it at the 846 thread and couldn't pass. Really glad I bought them as my ears are medium sized and they fit wonderfully from the stock tips right out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back