Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Apr 17, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #1,831 of 7,990

There is definitely presence in the midbass, especially when comparing to the SE846 or K3003. But I think the over all sig of the IE800 is more enjoyable to me.

I haven't heard the 846, but I wouldn't at all say the IE800 had any more midbass than the K3003. If anything, the K3003's mids don't sound as open or effortless as the IE800's. 

Second hand impressions alert: Also, my closest friends here have told me that the SE846's sound is very thick, even in the mids. This is the direct opposite of the drier, more effortless IE800.

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #1,832 of 7,990
Well I think I may invest in them sound unseen soon (no way to test them where I'm at). I tried the 846, but did not like the heavy isolation, v closed in soundstage, and the lack of bass detailing, just my personal preference.

The wires of the ie800 look fairly thin. I know they are Kevlar reinforced, but is the wire sheathed in rubber or some form of plastic with a Teflon coat?

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #1,833 of 7,990
The cables do look thin but I can tell you they are sturdy as hell. I've had many occasions where I accidentally tug the cable and I'm not talking about just a light pull. 

The green lines going around it is the kevlar I think. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #1,835 of 7,990
melting !!  how hot does it get where you live ?

i have had mine for 16 months and no problems with the cable apart from stiffening above the y splitter.

from what i can tell there is no rubber sheathing. probably teflon or similar as you said

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #1,836 of 7,990
  melting !!  how hot does it get where you live ?

i have had mine for 16 months and no problems with the cable apart from stiffening above the y splitter.

from what i can tell there is no rubber sheathing. probably teflon or similar as you said

It gets plenty hot in the tropics, around 40 degree celsius with 70-80% humidity. Can really mess up metals and rubber if you don't keep them nicely.

I've had a couple of pairs of earphone tips just liquify, so I tend to prefer hard plastic cable sheaths over rubberised ones. :)

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #1,838 of 7,990
Hi guys, I have a question for owners of these IEMs. I´m considering buying these headphones, but I have concerns about durability. How durable are they? Mostly how durable is the cable and how durable are the rubber(if they are made of rubber) endings, are they easy to wear off or no problem with that? I want to keep these headphones at least for three years. And the last one is if sennheiser isn´t prepearing another new high end IEMs?   Thanks for your answers.

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #1,839 of 7,990
They are the most durable IEMs and cables I have ever seen.
You will be fine.
Also, Sennheiser will look after them via warranty if not.

Personally, getting a pair with a purpose built high quality cable is highly preferable to the worry and upgrade cycle of headphones that support swapable cables.

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #1,840 of 7,990
Hello I'm new here but I've been lurking for a while now. I've seen the talk about comply 500 fitting the iE800, if anyone is interested to know I made a slight mode using the smallest earbud "as it's too small for me to use" I turned it inside out, cut the bud off leaving only the cylinder post that attaches to the monitor. If you put the post back into the body then push the T500 onto the post part or most of the way. Pull off, lay on flat surface press the comply bud the rest of the way on, as it fits snug then reattach, and you have a great bud now that we wish could've been included from the start ☺️......I love these earphones as I've own the iE8i as well as the iE80 too, but every since I've brought these iE800 I just love them the sound is just so much better, cleaner, bass is nice too and does not take over the sound...I've often tried to bass tune the iE80 to match "I've gotten pretty close but it just can't compare with the 800s they are just a far better improvement...I love them so much I'm having to send mine back for replacement or repair as one of my strain reliefs has a small split in it, but instead of waiting I have another set on hold for pick up next week....I won't live without them...I use them with the AK240 that I've had now for 2 months....

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #1,841 of 7,990
Hello I'm new here but I've been lurking for a while now. I've seen the talk about comply 500 fitting the iE800, if anyone is interested to know I made a slight mode using the smallest earbud "as it's too small for me to use" I turned it inside out, cut the bud off leaving only the cylinder post that attaches to the monitor. If you put the post back into the body then push the T500 onto the post part or most of the way. Pull off, lay on flat surface press the comply bud the rest of the way on, as it fits snug then reattach, and you have a great bud now that we wish could've been included from the start ☺️......I love these earphones as I've own the iE8i as well as the iE80 too, but every since I've brought these iE800 I just love them the sound is just so much better, cleaner, bass is nice too and does not take over the sound...I've often tried to bass tune the iE80 to match "I've gotten pretty close but it just can't compare with the 800s they are just a far better improvement...I love them so much I'm having to send mine back for replacement or repair as one of my strain reliefs has a small split in it, but instead of waiting I have another set on hold for pick up next week....I won't live without them...I use them with the AK240 that I've had now for 2 months....

I think you have the best combination. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #1,842 of 7,990
Please note it is the 200, not 500 Comply that you're after (nearest to stock tip fit is the TSX200)

Hope this helps :)

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #1,843 of 7,990
Hello maybe it's the 200 you are after but my modification uses the 500 as that's what I had left from use with my iE80 as well....The mod works well for anyone who wishes to try it ....☺️

And it's a mod that uses the original Sennheiser locking mech...from the earbud so it will function exactly the same...

Here's a photo so you can see the inner locking cylinder from the original iE800 earbud the comply T500 presses right on top of the original earbud cylinder once it's cut off....very snug fit that's why you must press it the rest of the way on, just happened to try it as I was sitting without much to do just tinkering around :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back