Sennheiser IE800 IEM's - Modding / Issues
Jul 2, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #167 of 182
So can you explain how it vibrates to make sound? I really don't have a clue what's moving. My only thought is that the magnet is so powerful is that it's making it seem inflexible, even though applying power will cause it to vibrate.
electrical current playing with magnetism, think of electricity as being the same as the fuel in a piston...

Jul 2, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #169 of 182
The whole thing moves as one unit, causing vibrations in the diaphragm.

Jul 3, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #170 of 182
  OK, I put two drivers over each other and smacked it as hard as I could with a hammer over and over again -- and this is what happened. One driver separated into a red ring and the base part. The base part is hard metal and won't break further.

What does this mean? Is the red ring like the ring in the HD800's driver? This clearly isn't using a flexible diaphragm like a traditional speaker woofer.

The red ring is the voice coil. Here's a detail enlargement taken from one of your earlier pics:

I know that. I'm asking which pieces move. It seems like one solid piece.

Take another look at my enlargement. One can clearly see the transparent diaphragm and the red voice coil underneath.

The diaphragm itself is usually very thin and you likely destroyed it while smacking the drivers. In your topmost picture, it seems like fragments of the diagram might be still attached to the voice coil. However, picture quality is too poor to tell for sure.

Here's the bottom view of a headphone driver diaphragm with voice coil attached. In IEMs, everything is a lot tinier and more fragile though.

Jul 3, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #171 of 182

Take another look at my enlargement. One can clearly see the transparent diaphragm and the red voice coil underneath.

The diaphragm itself is usually very thin and you likely destroyed it while smacking the drivers. In your topmost picture, it seems like fragments of the diagram might be still attached to the voice coil. However, picture quality is too poor to tell for sure.

Here's the bottom view of a headphone driver diaphragm with voice coil attached. In IEMs, everything is a lot tinier and more fragile though.

OHHHHHHHHH. The diaphram was that (solid) plastic thing that I destroyed (I definitely did see remnants of it; you can actually see some in the pic). Thanks for figuring it out. The power of crowdsourcing; eventually someone will get it.

Jul 3, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #172 of 182

OHHHHHHHHH. The diaphram was that (solid) plastic thing that I destroyed (I definitely did see remnants of it; you can actually see some in the pic). Thanks for figuring it out. The power of crowdsourcing; eventually someone will get it.

Good you figured it out...now I do not have to dissect my legit ones (at least they better be) I have on order.
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #179 of 182
sorry for the late reply I turned off notifications. I'll check out the pics but a real ie800 will sound warmer and more balanced than the particular fake you had. how does it sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back