Sennheiser IE80 vs Monster Turbine ProGold
May 13, 2012 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Kecupochren

New Head-Fier
Hello,

first of all, I checked these forums for similar thread, but apparently everyone was comparing either Coppers with these, or IE8 with Coppers and so on, I couldnt find decent comprasion between these two, so here I am.

- In my country they cost above the same, 200€ for IE80s and 230€ for Turbines
- I mostly listen to Trance music (dont confuse Trance with House, Trance has A LOT of vocals - example), but in same time I like Rock, Punk, Metal, DnB, Dubstep, basically all genres of music, but mostly trance.
- They will be for all around use, home, outside, work and so on
- Output will be (dont judge me, lol) some onboard Realtek 7.1 channel soundcard at home, outside it will be HTC Mozart 7 (Ipod classic 7g in future)
- I generally prefer more bass, alltho vocals are just as important

I already made some research, Turbines seems more bassy then IEs (quality / quantity, I dont know,  I am not quite familiar with these expressions), with better isolation with smaller soundstage, while IEs can provide best soundstage for non-customs IEMs, with "different bass" then Turbines (again, I have no clue what is this quality and quantity about).

I am really worried because I dont want to take "wrong" ones and regret it for next few years, so any help and tips would be appreciated, thanks a lot.

May 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 20
Well, from what I can get, the IE80 sound like an absolute bargain at that price point. I haven't heard the Gold or the Copper before, but from general opinion the Copper do not sound as good as the IE80 (I'm owning one right now), and because the Copper is more or less the Gold's upgraded version, it's reasonable to expect the IE80 to be better than the Gold.

Bass-wise, this is pretty much a close call since the bass is the forte of both's sound signatures. The mid of the IE80 is sweet, smooth, laidback (a bit recessed perhaps, which puzzles me a bit right now). I have no comments on the high comparison, but when it comes to soundstage I believe not many pairs can match the IE8/IE80's prowess. And bear in mind that if you're planning on using them all the time, you'd better get something that can last for a while (the IE80 feature removable cable, leaving no worries for cable breakage and much potential for aftermarket cable upgrade).

May 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 20
I would think the pro golds are the more fun out of the two. The IE80 however, has a wide soundstage and fast bass in comparison to the closed soundstage and slow bass of the pro golds. In my opinion, the Pro Golds have more quality bass than the IE80. For vocals both are pretty much on par. 

May 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 20
Hey, thanks for replies, I think I will go with Turbines, alltho I ran into one more candidate - JVC/Victor FX700. 

They seem superior on every way, only thing that worries me is sound isolation, anyone know if they can isolate public transport noise & street noise? I used to have UE350s and Sennheiser CX300ii and they both did great job at isolating, I couldnt hear anything but music outside.

May 13, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 20
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-237-iems-compared-akg-k3003i-added-05-07-12\

You might feel like having a look here. Joker did quite some comparison of bass qualities between the Pro Gold and the IE8.

I don't think the FX700 would necessarily be an upgrade over the other two, just different( you're basically considering between the best contenders of DD based IEMs). From his review, it sounds like the isolation of the FX700 is as bad as it can be, due to open back design - even less than the mediocre isolation of the IE8 - and that's saying something. I would advise you to do as much research as possible and audition all of them - if that's what you can do. Otherwise, if you have decided to bite the bullet on one - good luck
wink_face.gif

May 13, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:
Hey, thanks for replies, I think I will go with Turbines, alltho I ran into one more candidate - JVC/Victor FX700. 

They seem superior on every way, only thing that worries me is sound isolation, anyone know if they can isolate public transport noise & street noise? I used to have UE350s and Sennheiser CX300ii and they both did great job at isolating, I couldnt hear anything but music outside.

The FX700 would have overall more clarity, but in turn it has slightly harsher highs. I would say the Turbine Pro gold has more sub-bass, more rumble. FX700 would have the wider soundstage but in turn loses isolation as compared to the Turbine Pro gold due to the open-back design. I would recommend the Turbine Pro Gold for isolation as the FX700 just leaks out and takes in too much noise. 

May 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:
... In my opinion, the Pro Golds have more quality bass than the IE80...

disagreement here... own both MTPG's and IE80s, and fx700's...

the IE80's bass surpasses the golds in quality for sure, the golds bass is more flabby and less tight then the IE80s (but still good... just not as good) and I'd say the IE80's bass extends deepest out of all three

dont get me wrong, the golds are great (i'd put them on mid/upper mid-tier, as opposed to top-tier DD), but IMO both the fx700 and the IE80 surpasses them across the board technically as well in their massive/expansive soundstage, while the golds have more of a vertical and not as wide soundstage

but then again... i haven't listened to the golds in a while, really haven't felt the urge since the fx700, ie80, ex1000's came along... so if others could chime in on the matter it would be helpful

May 14, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
Geez I am so confused right now, everyone says something else (even outside of this topic), some say IE80s, some say MTPG, I guess I will just flip coin and let coincidence decide
confused.gif

you'll be happy with either, 100% positive of that... The golds are cheaper, picked mine up for $175, while the IE80's are going for around 300... although you said they are relatively the same price around you. Also, mtpg's are backed by monsters lifetime warranty, while the senn's just have a 2yr.  You can always pick up both!

May 15, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
disagreement here... own both MTPG's and IE80s, and fx700's...

the IE80's bass surpasses the golds in quality for sure, the golds bass is more flabby and less tight then the IE80s (but still good... just not as good) and I'd say the IE80's bass extends deepest out of all three

dont get me wrong, the golds are great (i'd put them on mid/upper mid-tier, as opposed to top-tier DD), but IMO both the fx700 and the IE80 surpasses them across the board technically as well in their massive/expansive soundstage, while the golds have more of a vertical and not as wide soundstage

but then again... i haven't listened to the golds in a while, really haven't felt the urge since the fx700, ie80, ex1000's came along... so if others could chime in on the matter it would be helpful

Okay, I'm not a bass expert so I won't argue about how I'm right and you're wrong. But I do agree, that the IE80's bass is faster, quicker and packs more punch. However, the Pro Golds just sounded more natural to me. Feel free to disagree.

The FX700 to me feels like an upgraded Pro Gold with more clarity. I would easily put them in the top-tier for certain reasons, the FX700 and EX1000 are just ultra top-tier. The IE80 to me is about mid top-tier. 

May 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #14 of 20
brought my Golds to work today, the bass is surprisingly good... I'd say it has more quantity than the IE80's, as well that 'jet rumble' effect (using monster hybrid supertips). Hits those low notes real well, but at the cost of a more congested sound signature across the rest of the frequencies...

yeah, I can definitely 'feel' the bass more than the ie80's, i'll be A/Bing them all day maybe even throw in a C with the fx700 if I have time or a D with the ex1000s... they are all at work with me haha

i'd also agree with you on the fx700's and ex1000's being a league above both, i'd still say the ie80's are a very close call

May 15, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #15 of 20
Well I would go with FX700, allthough isolation still worries me, I couldnt get a clear answer on how well they do isolate street / bus noise yet, so thats the only problem. 
Keep in mind that I used Sennheiser CX300ii Precision and Logitech Ultimate Ears 350 before so all of these headphones will definitely blow my mind, price is not an issue (I am willing to spend maximum of 400€, in that price range are Turbines Copper, but they had less bass) so I am open for everything. 

You guys mentioned differences between Golds and IE80, but frankly, I am not sure what do you mean by phrases such as "fast bass", "wider soundstage" (ok, Ive googled a bit what does soundstage mean so I guess I know what it is, tho, I dont know how it "sounds") and so on. I am not "noob", I really appreciate good sound quality, I can surely tell difference between cheap and expensive earbuds, I am not just familiar with these technical terms.

So far from my point of view its FX700 (when I ignore isolation "issue") > IE80 > MTPG. Its just that I dont know how bad JVCs isolate, so as I dont know how IE80 isolates. MTPG seems to isolate pretty well and I read everywhere they have really "Monster" (you see what I did there =D) bass, but in same time people say that IE80 has same, even better bass, but they express themselves with these technical terms I do not follow.

If someone would be so kind to finally tell me how FX700 isolate street noise and maybe compare all of these headphones to CX300s or UE350s I would be really happy and thankful.

//oh and btw, I am sorry for making a new thread, I just noticed this huge thread where I should have asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back