Sennheiser IE80 vs Monster Turbine ProGold
May 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #16 of 20
As I've said above, the FX700 suck at isolation due to the open back design. It depends on the volume level you usually hear your music at really. I found the isolation of the IE80 to be quite decent, providing you can get the right tips, and since the sound signature of the IE80 is quite laid back I tend to find myself being able to crank it up enough to suppress street and even plane's engine noise. The only thing they cannot cope with is the underground tube noise,though. So as far as isolation goes on the FX700, my 2 cents would be that it wouldn't hurt too much even though they isolate a bit less than the IE80.

May 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:
Well I would go with FX700, allthough isolation still worries me, I couldnt get a clear answer on how well they do isolate street / bus noise yet, so thats the only problem. 
Keep in mind that I used Sennheiser CX300ii Precision and Logitech Ultimate Ears 350 before so all of these headphones will definitely blow my mind, price is not an issue (I am willing to spend maximum of 400€, in that price range are Turbines Copper, but they had less bass) so I am open for everything. 

You guys mentioned differences between Golds and IE80, but frankly, I am not sure what do you mean by phrases such as "fast bass", "wider soundstage" (ok, Ive googled a bit what does soundstage mean so I guess I know what it is, tho, I dont know how it "sounds") and so on. I am not "noob", I really appreciate good sound quality, I can surely tell difference between cheap and expensive earbuds, I am not just familiar with these technical terms.

So far from my point of view its FX700 (when I ignore isolation "issue") > IE80 > MTPG. Its just that I dont know how bad JVCs isolate, so as I dont know how IE80 isolates. MTPG seems to isolate pretty well and I read everywhere they have really "Monster" (you see what I did there =D) bass, but in same time people say that IE80 has same, even better bass, but they express themselves with these technical terms I do not follow.

If someone would be so kind to finally tell me how FX700 isolate street noise and maybe compare all of these headphones to CX300s or UE350s I would be really happy and thankful.

//oh and btw, I am sorry for making a new thread, I just noticed this huge thread where I should have asked.

I've had IE80 and MDT and now FX700. I agree with how you rate them.  If not for relatively poor isolation, IMO, the FX700 is a much better phone vs. IE80.

May 16, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:
Well I would go with FX700, allthough isolation still worries me, I couldnt get a clear answer on how well they do isolate street / bus noise yet, so thats the only problem. 
Keep in mind that I used Sennheiser CX300ii Precision and Logitech Ultimate Ears 350 before so all of these headphones will definitely blow my mind, price is not an issue (I am willing to spend maximum of 400€, in that price range are Turbines Copper, but they had less bass) so I am open for everything. 

You guys mentioned differences between Golds and IE80, but frankly, I am not sure what do you mean by phrases such as "fast bass", "wider soundstage" (ok, Ive googled a bit what does soundstage mean so I guess I know what it is, tho, I dont know how it "sounds") and so on. I am not "noob", I really appreciate good sound quality, I can surely tell difference between cheap and expensive earbuds, I am not just familiar with these technical terms.

So far from my point of view its FX700 (when I ignore isolation "issue") > IE80 > MTPG. Its just that I dont know how bad JVCs isolate, so as I dont know how IE80 isolates. MTPG seems to isolate pretty well and I read everywhere they have really "Monster" (you see what I did there =D) bass, but in same time people say that IE80 has same, even better bass, but they express themselves with these technical terms I do not follow.

If someone would be so kind to finally tell me how FX700 isolate street noise and maybe compare all of these headphones to CX300s or UE350s I would be really happy and thankful.

//oh and btw, I am sorry for making a new thread, I just noticed this huge thread where I should have asked.

If you're looking for that extreme isolation, the FX700s won't do, they leak sound both from the inside and outside, as expected from an IEM with the biggest open-back I have seen. 

Fast bass as in the bass handles the track in a way that it has no problems, which is accurate, however may lack the naturalism of drum beats and so on. Soundstage would mean how far the band is playing from you, let's say you feel you're sitting 10 seats away with one IEM and 7 seats away with another IEM, the one with 10 seats would have the wider soundstage, but feels distant in comparison. 

In terms of isolation, it's the other way round (LOL) MTP>IE80>FX700. .

As for the FX700, I did not have an audition in the street, so I don't have much rights to speak for them, but they are quite vented, so it won't do very well in that case. Just think of it as putting a tube through your ear as compared to a straw - the tube would isolate more. 

May 17, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #19 of 20
Does anyone know how is FX700 isolation compared to CX300II Precision? Ive read some opinions that CX300 has terrible isolation but somehow I found it pretty decent, it could suppress public transport noise quite easily, so I think in the end I may take FX700s

May 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:
Does anyone know how is FX700 isolation compared to CX300II Precision? Ive read some opinions that CX300 has terrible isolation but somehow I found it pretty decent, it could suppress public transport noise quite easily, so I think in the end I may take FX700s

I'd assume much worse... FX700's isolation is pretty much nonexistent, a tad better than grado's full size open cans...

as for street noise, I don't find a problem at all while on the street with these, or even the subway... that massive sound is still there, and it even adds a bit of environment to the mix haha. Then again I dont really like fully isolating my hearing when walking around the city, so in a way it's a benefit.

jump on the FX700 bandwagon! the sound is like none other

Users who are viewing this thread

Back