Sennheiser IE8 Vs. washing machine
Jul 25, 2011 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Narc

Head-Fier
I somehow managed to wash my IE8s (in my shirt pocket) on a 40 degrees centigrade cycle with detergent and only realized when the cycle was complete. I've not put any power through them yet and have put them in a 37 degrees centigrade incubator where I'm planning on leaving them for a week before plugging them into a power source.

The look fine on the outside but I don't hold out much hope for them working again. Any advice would be appreciated (they are a month old).

Cheers!

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 21
Your best bet is to soak them in distilled water for 10 minutes or so to, hopefully remove any sediments left in them, and then put them in a bag of dry rice for 3 days. Distilled water is actually completely safe for electronics since it's completely pure. The rise will absorb the moisture naturally. I honestly don't think there's a better way.

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 21
Thanks Keanex, I hadn't considered the sedimentation but the distilled water rinse makes sense. Do you think rice will be better than constant 37oC afterwards though?

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #5 of 21
subscribed to see the end of this drama 
popcorn.gif

best of luck to the OP

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 21
37oC = 37 degree centigrade...I'll have a google on desiccation methods later on as I think I can get my hands on some of the commercial stuff they use. Or maybe I'll just put the rice in a 37 degree incubator! Will have a think about it then do it later today. Cheers.

Jul 25, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 21
OK, cheers Keanex...gonna give the distilled water then rice a lash and use them a week later. I've heard that drying too quickly is bad for electronic equipment so rice might be the way to go.

@ Edvardd - dont think I'll be putting them in the tumble dryer dude but thanks for the advice!

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 21
Well, mylar membranes are pretty resilient against washing fortunately. Can't say that about other parts like the vents and nozzle - washing in multiple rounds of distilled water is definitely the right thing to do.

A cellulose driver like GR07's would have been completely ruined.

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #12 of 21
Jesus I'm getting paranoid.. what happens if you wash IEMs with balanced armatures in the washing machine? Does the driver suffer damage? What about moving armatures? If anybody knows...

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 21
Armatures might get stuck due to some foam and debris falling into the IEM. They're likely more delicate than dynamic drivers in this regard.
Most dynamic driver IEMs have a filter or grill between the driver and the ear - this would stop most kinds of debris.

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #14 of 21
Hmm.. right. Do you know anything about the actual driver though?
In any case, I'll do my best to avoid washing my IEMs
biggrin.gif
Sorry for going off-topic.
OP, any update on your situation?

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #15 of 21
Well I followed Keanex advice as it made the most sense and gave them a 24 h rinse in a dish of double distilled water, changing the water a few times. Then I popped them into a bag of rice and forgot about them for a week. I am happy to report that they are working same as before I put them in the washing machine. To my ears they sound exactly the same, with the added benefit of being squeaky clean :wink:. Only change is that the foam tips have lost a lot of their spongey quality though they still provide an adequate fit.

Thanks for all the advice!

PS., After having had a few weeks break from these phones, I realize that they are just not sparkly enough for me on the high end. Unlike my Sleek SA6, they dont make me burst into an uncontrollable smile every now and again when listening to some of my fav tracks. There's something missing from them...something beautiful. That said, I haven't listened to my Sleeks since I got the IE8 due to the terrible SA6 cable issues. I've since ordered a new cable and am really looking forward to comparing the IE8 and the Sleeks. Perhaps my memory of the Sleeks was a little generous. Will wait and see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back