Sennheiser IE8 repair? (pic inside)
Apr 23, 2015 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

B_Rich

100+ Head-Fier

Long story short, one of the connectors (see: red arrow) on my IE8 has ovaled out or gotten bigger over time. I'm not sure if the insert in there has broken (like a shim?) or what, but regardless, the right channel doesn't work anymore.

This happened about a year ago, and I've since replaed them with the IE80's, but had the thought to repair them to see if I could get some more use out of them. Has anyone tried to repair these? Maybe put a dab of solder on the pin in the connector on the cable (I have two IE8 cables) to make the connection? I'm willing to do some surgery here, as I'll already consider these a loss. Just wanted some ideas from my headphone friends.

Thanks!

Apr 23, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #2 of 7
I believe you're on the right track with a dab or 'tinning' of solder to the pin. Be super careful when applying the solder as heat travels up to the plastic plug quickly and can start melting. After applying solder borrow a nail file from the female species and file it down a little to fit.

Apr 23, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 7
I would be leary to solder them, as melting the cable is a real concern. However, since you already consider them a loss, I would try to slip the connector back in there, find a precise needle nose pliers, and after epoxying the connector(rubber cable section to rubber housing) squeeze the pin in questions that it has no choice but to connect. You will not be able to pull this cable out again, but it might make them work once more. I would suggest squeezing the female end first, but the likelihood of it becoming too misshapen to get the pin in is an all too certain reality.

Perhaps this very problem is the reason for the myriad of complaints regarding Senn's and losing signals after only a few months time?

Be interesting to know if others faced this dilemma.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 7
Search "sennheiser ie8" in google pictures, you will see pictures of the opened ie8.

The housing is held by 1 screw and close connector down with pliers, much less risk than playing with solder. 

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 7
  Search "sennheiser ie8" in google pictures, you will see pictures of the opened ie8.

The housing is held by 1 screw and close connector down with pliers, much less risk than playing with solder. 

Yes, this will work. Lets bring that photo into this thread.

Far more convenient than solder.

Apr 23, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 7
Lots of options here and I appreciate the replies everyone.  I think I'll be contacting Sennheiser directly first to see what they can do for me.  Heck, if it costs $40 to repair these, I still think it'd be worth it considering these are going for $340+ on Amazon right now.

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll post back with my results when the time comes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back