Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #7,457 of 8,119
Heh, my wife needed headphones for work. I wasn't about to inflict the SE215 on her, and I'll be damned if I was giving up my BA's or the GR07, so she got the IE8s. I hope she likes them. Given that she's moving up from stock Apple buds, I think she'll be very impressed.

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #7,458 of 8,119
My wife has my recabled IE8's too, nice! She highly enjoyed her flight to Europe recently. The cool thing is that she had used them with the stock cable, and once I got them back to her with the uprgade cable she said she could most definitely hear a noticeable improvement. I enjoy seeing people who don't have much experience in the higher-end portable audio scene take notice of improvements like that. Fun stuff.

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #7,459 of 8,119

Quote:
My wife has my recabled IE8's too, nice! She highly enjoyed her flight to Europe recently. The cool thing is that she had used them with the stock cable, and once I got them back to her with the uprgade cable she said she could most definitely hear a noticeable improvement. I enjoy seeing people who don't have much experience in the higher-end portable audio scene take notice of improvements like that. Fun stuff.

Where did you buy the upgrade cable that you gave her?

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #7,461 of 8,119

Quote:
Where did you buy the upgrade cable that you gave her?

Here is the one I picked up. It's gone up $20 since I got it though. Nice bump in frequency range, soundstage, and clarity.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Made-SENNHE1SER-IE8-Earphones-Upgrade-Cable-6N-OFC-/270738453260?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3f0944f30c#ht_3504wt_1165

Quote:
... and does it have the amazing ergonomics of the stock cable?

Unfortunately I don't think anything can compete with the supple ergonomics of the stock cable. The upgrade one I got is thicker and stiffer than stock, but still has nice workmanship. The molded ends fit perfectly. I'm quite pleased for the $89 I picked it up at....

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #7,462 of 8,119

Silver Galaxy cable.

The cable is surprisingly sturdy, its also a bit thick still very portable. I carry my IE8s in my old bose IE2 carrying case. Cn11 when you first got your upgrade cable did your IE8s sound like treble monsters from hell? I never did get that experience with my first upgrade cable (Red Angel, was made of copper and silver plated copper wire). With this cable though, my IE8s needed to burn in again.

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #7,463 of 8,119
No, the silver-plated copper cable I got never approached turning them into treble monsters. The main thing I noticed was just an expansion of the scope of the sound, as well as better dynamics-- no harshness introduced at all. Just a noticeable step better. 

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #7,464 of 8,119

Quote:
No, the silver-plated copper cable I got never approached turning them into treble monsters. The main thing I noticed was just an expansion of the scope of the sound, as well as better dynamics-- no harshness introduced at all. Just a noticeable step better. 

Yea it was the same for me with the red angel cable. When I upgraded to the Silver Galaxy it took my IE8s 3 days to settle down on the treble, but after that its been a honey-moon since then. I found the Red Angel to be a nice upgrade but it really doesn't compare to the upgrade the Silver Galaxy has brought :wink:. I'm surprised you still have you IE8s BTW. I figured you would have sold the IE8s before you got rid of the FX700s? Stock cable the FX700s walks all over the IE8s. Then again with EQ maybe it wouldn't be such a humongous difference, would be sound preference then. The only thing about the FX is the fit. Too tight of a seal and the bass becomes too much. They also don't sound too great using eq on the bass and mid bass. But if you get the seal just right they are very nice (especially with the DACPort LX).

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #7,465 of 8,119
Hi guys!

Long time since I've posted in this thread heh. I've had my IE8s for nearly three years and am just now starting to have trouble with them. The sound in the right earpiece is about 20% as loud as the left. It's way too quiet. I've tried switching the cables around which didn't make a difference (which means it must be a problem with the driver itself yeah?) I'm not getting any crackling/static or anything like that. Just really low sound volume.

Any ideas on what could be going on/tutorials on how I could repair it?

I have much love for you fella'z, Jim.

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #7,466 of 8,119

Quote:
Hi guys!Long time since I've posted in this thread heh. I've had my IE8s for nearly three years and am just now starting to have trouble with them. The sound in the right earpiece is about 20% as loud as the left. It's way too quiet. I've tried switching the cables around which didn't make a difference (which means it must be a problem with the driver itself yeah?) I'm not getting any crackling/static or anything like that. Just really low sound volume.Any ideas on what could be going on/tutorials on how I could repair it?I have much love for you fella'z, Jim.

I'm not sure. It probably would be cheaper just to get a new pair at this point. Would be good to wait for the IE80 though and then you could leave us impressions on the sound improvements like another headfier has said.

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #7,467 of 8,119
I wish that was an option Lee, but I'm running into a lack of funds at the moment. Even if the right driver is completely buggered, surely it's gotta be cheaper to have it replaced than buy a new set?

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #7,468 of 8,119
Hi,

i didn't have the courage and time to check the 498 pages on this, but does any of you guys have experienced BOTH Sennheiser IE8 and HD25?
I agree this is a strange request as they are way different but still, can someone comment on the following :
- sound quality between the two (i wan't flat and well defined sound stage)
- isolation (mainly used for commuting on trains/bike)
- ergonomics (cable noise...)

I have at home a HD650 that i love in every way, but as you know it's not made for going out :wink:
I'm using the shure SE110, which i find very handy (specially with short cable on iPod shuffle), but with limited sound.

I'm mainly using iPhone/iPods, and listenings to any kind of music (Classical would the test for me).

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #7,469 of 8,119

Quote:
Yea it was the same for me with the red angel cable. When I upgraded to the Silver Galaxy it took my IE8s 3 days to settle down on the treble, but after that its been a honey-moon since then. I found the Red Angel to be a nice upgrade but it really doesn't compare to the upgrade the Silver Galaxy has brought :wink:. I'm surprised you still have you IE8s BTW. I figured you would have sold the IE8s before you got rid of the FX700s? Stock cable the FX700s walks all over the IE8s. Then again with EQ maybe it wouldn't be such a humongous difference, would be sound preference then. The only thing about the FX is the fit. Too tight of a seal and the bass becomes too much. They also don't sound too great using eq on the bass and mid bass. But if you get the seal just right they are very nice (especially with the DACPort LX).

I think I held onto them because one I got a smoking good deal on a genuine pair a couple years back, two, the ability to change cables and tweak the sound a bit (even though cables weren't readily available until recently-- I knew it would become the case eventually), and three that awesome comfort. Something about them made me hold onto them even after selling the likes of the FX700, Monster MD, and Earsonics SM3 (which I thought were a sonic improvement too). 

Of course now that I'm using the FutureSonics customs all the time, none of my universals are seeing much use! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #7,470 of 8,119
Hi guys!Long time since I've posted in this thread heh. I've had my IE8s for nearly three years and am just now starting to have trouble with them. The sound in the right earpiece is about 20% as loud as the left. It's way too quiet. I've tried switching the cables around which didn't make a difference (which means it must be a problem with the driver itself yeah?) I'm not getting any crackling/static or anything like that. Just really low sound volume.Any ideas on what could be going on/tutorials on how I could repair it?I have much love for you fella'z, Jim.

Have you checked for ear wax build up on the filter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back