Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #2,162 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
U guys R nuts with the tips, I have everything to do the foam and silicone one though
biggrin.gif

Call me nuts, call me a tweaker, or call me a perfectionist! And glad the setup is working for you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey I do have a question though, how do you detach the cables on these? Is there a trick to it or do you just pull hard? I'm just curious.

Just pull hard, wiggle while pulling (did it once a long time ago).

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #2,165 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of detachable cable, has anyone tried plugging in their UE cable to the IE 8 or vice versa?

ie8detached.jpg

They look so similar.

Could you post a pic of the UE detachable cable? Can't find one on Google.

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #2,169 of 8,119
Also look at the translucent casing on the plug, one side is curved. The UE is not at all, it's totally symmetrical. No go there. Someone will have to do up a new custom cable.

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #2,171 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I've experimented with the tips and their different characteristics.

Silicon: Good, more sharper treble imo, but the bass isn't as striking.
Dual flange silicon: More or less the same as the normal silicon, but the problem is that these make my ears itch :/
Small foam: More bass impact, and more natural mids/treble.

Shure Olives: For some reason, mine are quite wet and porous, and I remember them as quite hard... At the moment, they sound slightly muddy and mids/treble are more laid back.

Comfort wise: I would say the thumbs up to the small foams. I prefer foam tips over silicon tips, and I find that I am now more used to the smaller ones rather than the relatively big Shure Olives.

I agree the small foams fit really nice and sound really good! .. I had trouble trying others out because the tips are too small to fit on the actual ie8 have you noticed lol..but I think even though, the small foams are the best

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #2,172 of 8,119
I'm having great luck with the UE single flange silicons. I did a bit of comparing with the large foams, and they equal or exceed the sound I get from those. I think they allow the treble to be opened up just a hair. By nature I'd guess they're a bit more durable than the foams too. I was a bit paranoid about losing my one pair of foams that fit me without them being offered for sale as replacements by Sennheiser, but had read that the UE silicons are very good too. So a very kind fellow Head-Fi'er offered to mail me a set of them to give a try. Now I'm relieved to have discovered something that sounds as good as the foams, yet is readily available for purchase/replacement.

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #2,173 of 8,119
Two hours of burn-in so far, and the bass is going up not down.
eek.gif
This bass better mellow out with burn-in or we're gonna have a problem - the bass definitely bleeds over into the lower mids of female vocals and Shelby Lynn is singing into a garbage can. The tone of the cymbals is off an I hear more drum stick than cymbal at this point. Will report back at 24 hours of burn-in.

It took me a while to try several tips with them, and I am still experimenting with those. The medium silicone just barely seal and are almost too small, but there is definite attenuation of outside noise so there has to be some seal. I'll run out to the car later and get my spare Complys T400 tips to try.

I have 16 Hz - 16 KHz hearing (46 year old). Normal listening volume for music via my iBasso D10 is about 10 o'clock on the volume knob, so tone testing with the volume still at 10 o'clock shows an un-burned 25 Hz - 16 KHz frequency response. If I turn the volume on my D10 higher to about 12 o'clock then 20Hz is there but several dB down in relation to the higher frequencies. Will re-try with different tips.

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #2,174 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ultimateears-5pro-6.jpg

It doesn't look like they can fit, but they do share similar design cues.

I've tried. It doesn't fit.

If it excites you, I'm getting my IE8 recabled soon.

Headphoneaddict, the main thing with the IE8 is fitment. Try as many tips as possible. I had a lot of trouble until I found the UE medium silicone tips worked.

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #2,175 of 8,119
Got my IE8. Initial impression of the sound signature reminds me of my CX500. I moved from CX500 to Etymotic hf-2, and while I like the highs and the detail of hf-2, I always miss the bass of CX500. With 0 hour burn-in, the IE8 has more bass than the CX500 even at the lowest bass setting, yet I can hear more details in the bass with the IE8 compared to CX500 (that is expected I guess, given the price difference). Just as everyone said, with 0 burn-in, the bass of the IE8 is way too much. But I don't want to make any judgement about it yet, since I have only listened to it for 30mins. I am putting it aside at the burn-in corner with my old mp3 player for a few days.

I have no problem with fitting. I use the medium size "2-flange" tip, which was also the tip I use with my CX500. One thing I really like when wearing the IE8 is that they don't stick out of your ears, althought they are big, unlike many UEs and Etymotics. For me this is a plus because that means I can wear ear warmers while listening to music (I live in Chicago, and it snows all the time). The hf-2 sticks out too much that wearing a pair of ear warmers over it is basically impossible.

The metal case include with it looks kind of fancy, but is practically useless. It is large, it is inconvenient, and you can't put anything in it besides the IE8 and some ear tips. A small soft pouch is much preferred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back