Sennheiser IE7 Appreciation Thread ~~~
Oct 11, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #526 of 817
Just found this forum today ... wanted to say hey and thanks for all the great input from everyone, it definitely helped me in pulling the trigger on a pair of IE7's a couple mins ago from buy.com.

Recently I've looked into bluetooth headphones and ended up sending both Motorola and Sennheiser phones back ... highs sounded really "scratchy" and both had proximity issues. I've been using a pair of Senn PMX100's that I've been happy with but wanted to try a pair of in ear style phones since I usually end up at B&N or Starbucks writting code for hrs on end and wanted something that wouldn't annoy other occupants (I'm hoping the IE7's don't bleed too much sound out, a couple posters here said it's minimal).

Most of my music is on an IPhone and Sansa player ... I'm guessing I'll probably have to start paying attention to sound recording quality from here on out with the IE7's and will definitely take notice of the prescribed burn in procedures mentioned here.

Enough rambling ... just wanted to say hey and thanks again for all the free advice ... looking forward to receiving the IE7's by the end of the week :)

Oct 12, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #527 of 817
The IE7 don't let too much noise - I'm listening at 14/30 of the scale (my previous mx760 were played at 17/30) and if played in a moderately noisy environment (with people talking and making background noise) they can't be heard by bystanders. The only situation when they can be heard is in a completely silent place - but what kind of phones can't be heard then
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #528 of 817
How do the IE7's sound anything like the Grado sound signature, specifically the SR-60's? Or am I way off? I'm about to take the plunge in buying them but I was just curious on the sound signature because people have brought up that they are warm yet neutral.

Oct 13, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #530 of 817
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beh0lder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE7 don't let too much noise - I'm listening at 14/30 of the scale (my previous mx760 were played at 17/30) and if played in a moderately noisy environment (with people talking and making background noise) they can't be heard by bystanders. The only situation when they can be heard is in a completely silent place - but what kind of phones can't be heard then
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah they shouldn't leak at all. They isolate decently well, although not the best, with the stock tips.

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #531 of 817
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and have you read the threads on the IE7?

i think youll find they have brought it up

Yep, I've read it, actually made previous comments. Just couldn't find anything about this.
redface.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #532 of 817
IE7's arrived today ... man oh man I'm glad I found this forum !! I was afraid what they'd sound like outta the box, after reading about the breakin period ... gotta say they sound awesome !! ... and to think they'll only get better. This is gonna sound pretty stupid ... and even more so when I go back and re-read it in a few days, but this is the first time I've felt like the music was actually "IN my head" and not come'n through my ears ... did I say that out loud :wink: I can't stop grin'n

Oct 17, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #534 of 817
Quote:

Originally Posted by fochie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IE7's arrived today ... man oh man I'm glad I found this forum !! I was afraid what they'd sound like outta the box, after reading about the breakin period ... gotta say they sound awesome !! ... and to think they'll only get better. This is gonna sound pretty stupid ... and even more so when I go back and re-read it in a few days, but this is the first time I've felt like the music was actually "IN my head" and not come'n through my ears ... did I say that out loud :wink: I can't stop grin'n

Haha!

Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry for your wallet.
beerchug.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #535 of 817
So I picked up a pair of Klipsch S4 just cuz I was curious with the little buzz about them. Unfortunately, they aren't even close to the quality of the IE7. The cable is pretty bad, or maybe I'm just spoiled from my IE7. Regardless, the sound was decent on the S4, which I did have burned in for ~80 hours. The treble still seems to have a slight veil over it and is just not as clear and crisp as the IE7, the bass has pretty good impact and will probably tighten up a little more with some more time. When it comes to soundstaging and instrument separation, there is just no contest against the IE7. Of course, they are merely half the price, so it is as expected. Not sure if I will be keeping the S4 yet at all (they were meant to be backup/gym pair anyways), the sound signature is similar to the IE7, both warmer sounding, so I'll will give it a little more time.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #536 of 817
So, after about 4-5 months of having my broken IE7s gathering dust on a shelf, I finally decided to mail them into Sennheiser to see about getting them fixed. A week and a half later, I was greeted with a brand new set of IE7s, and dear god I missed the sound...I've been listening to my backups (Apple In-Ears) and totally forgot how awesome the IE7s were. I was actually surprised with that, considering that I have opened up the casing myself to see what was wrong and was kinda scared they would put the damage off as "physical abuse" or something. Overall though, very happy with Sennheiser CS, came through perfectly.

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #537 of 817
It's good to hear that they do repair such damage. On the other hand I've heard stories about Dell CS accepting laptops with signs of knife-opening -s1 wanted to gain access to the HDD, and those laptops don't allow such extravaganza, so a knife was used. And, suprisingly, no one cared about them marks.

Because I do not want to go OT, I just wanna say that after 5 weeks of IE7 use I tried my HD477 again with my DIY amp, and OMG, the sound was so blurred and the soundstage was minimal...

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #538 of 817
heh..this place is too hazardous for my wallet..so ive decided to get the ie7's as my new upgrades as soon as i save some money up which probably wont be too long hopefully
smily_headphones1.gif

just outta curiosity about their isolation..im not expecting like ety or shure kind of isolation as the insert is different but im expecting something along the lines of how the cx300 was or sony iem's where i had to remove the earphones to hold a conversation. can someone here correct me if im wrong?

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #539 of 817
Just got mine as well, I'm totally impressed. Finding the right fit wasn't easy... Going to let them burn in now, but out of the box they sound BIG
beyersmile.png
. Bigger than my HD-595's. Thanks for all the advice, just registered, love the forum!! Any tips on good tips (!) that I can buy in the Netherlands?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back