Sennheiser IE 8 - Discontinued - What will Senn do?
Jan 14, 2013 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

iOnlyEatMusic

100+ Head-Fier
After having my IE 8 for over two years, they finally cracked and broke. Now with the IE 80 being out the IE 8 are discontinued. If I send them in for repair, will they send me the IE 80 back? I heard someone sent theirs for repair and they sent back a brand new IE 80.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 15
Most likely not. If it's well over two years, then you are no longer covered by the warranty and anything from that point onwards would be your responsibility alone. They might actually repair the IE8 for a small fee though.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 15
I know I'm out of warranty but their flat rate repair is $110..

I can't justify that price for just the little piece that you insert into your ear fell off. 

I've heard people saying that they sent back their IE 8 and they sent back a IE 80. I emailed them Sunday morning but still have gotten no reply from them. 

How fast so they usually reply to emails? 

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 15
My senn IE7 , still working
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
I know I'm out of warranty but their flat rate repair is $110..

I can't justify that price for just the little piece that you insert into your ear fell off. 

I've heard people saying that they sent back their IE 8 and they sent back a IE 80. I emailed them Sunday morning but still have gotten no reply from them. 

How fast so they usually reply to emails? 

may be 4 - 5 days... or may be weeks.... i almost got pissed with them last time.. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 15
It's all about warranty mate. Those people who got the IE80s back happened to be the ones whose IE8s were broken at the same time when the IE8 got replaced by the IE80 - and because they were still having their warranties, it's perfectly reasonable for Sennheiser to cover them with the IE80s. Under normal circumstances, it would be the IE8s, however. Just think of them as being lucky. Asking them for a replacement at this stage is the same as asking for a free pair, and afaik that's not going to hack it. Sennheiser legally has got no obligations to you at this point, but you can try contacting them and see if you could come to an agreement though.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
It's all about warranty mate. Those people who got the IE80s back happened to be the ones whose IE8s were broken at the same time when the IE8 got replaced by the IE80 - and because they were still having their warranties, it's perfectly reasonable for Sennheiser to cover them with the IE80s. Under normal circumstances, it would be the IE8s, however. Just think of them as being lucky. Asking them for a replacement at this stage is the same as asking for a free pair, and afaik that's not going to hack it. Sennheiser legally has got no obligations to you at this point, but you can try contacting them and see if you could come to an agreement though.

No no, you seem to misunderstand what I'm asking. I'm not asking for them to send me back a free pair. I'm asking to see if I do pay the $110 for repair, if they can instead just send me a pair of the IE80. I just can't justify the price of the $110 just to fix that little part so I emailed them asking if they can instead send me a pair of the IE80 for the $110 I'm paying for the repair/replacement. 

So I send them the broken IE8, pay the $110 and they send me a IE80. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
No no, you seem to misunderstand what I'm asking. I'm not asking for them to send me back a free pair. I'm asking to see if I do pay the $110 for repair, if they can instead just send me a pair of the IE80. I just can't justify the price of the $110 just to fix that little part so I emailed them asking if they can instead send me a pair of the IE80 for the $110 I'm paying for the repair/replacement. 

So I send them the broken IE8, pay the $110 and they send me a IE80. 

Oh sorry did not catch you there. But I still don't think they are going to do that. I've heard that upon the IE80 release, some folks contacted Sennheiser and asked for an upgrade by sending back their old IE8s and paying a small fee, only to be flat out rejected by them. Things might change now as the IE80 has been around for a while though - you better confirm this with someone you could get in touch with quickly. There is a Sennheiser representative around the forum,so shoot him a PM and see how the sittuation goes.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 15
I don't think it's likely they'll allow this, but you can always hope. The way I see it, even if you're sending money, you're still asking Sennheiser to take a loss when they have no legal obligations to help you. There's no harm in trying to convince them, but just be prepared for disappointment.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 15
Whatever happened? Did you get a response from Sennheiser regarding what they will do with your out of warranty IE8? I can't imagine they will crack open your damaged IE8's and repair them - but I do imagine they could replace with a refurbished pair of IE8's as opposed to a new pair of IE80's. I guess it depends on what they have in stock.

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 15
When my IE8's broke, they sent me a new pair and told me it's easier than repairing them. Since you are out of warranty they really aren't required or shouldn't be expected to do anything, or offer you any kind of discount. Good luck, though.

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #14 of 15
I sent them in and they actually sent me the IE 8i for free. 

It's currently up for sale for $230 if anyone is interested. I'm trying to buy the IE 80 off of Amazon. I love their customer service though! They respond within hours and I got the headphones 3 days after they got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back