Sennheiser HE-60 ''The Legendary Baby"
Dec 7, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #61 of 149
i have sony cdp/s 3000 it's the sony lhh of the 80's in its days.
i dont like consumer products, they are less robust. + i like the look of professional equipment
80's and 90's=philips cdm's and dac are the best ever made. these are also in the studer/emt. its the reason why studer/emt 730 981 are so expensive. and becoming more expensive the years come by. it's not fun anymore the prices these days. vintage audio was fun years ago,because of it's low prices. it's over now

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #62 of 149
i dont like consumer products, they are all sj!t..
80's=philips also 90's it's philips cdp's which are by far better than the sony's.
it's cdm's and dac are the best ever made. think studer/emt. it the reason why studer/emt 730 981 are so expensive. and are more expensive the years come by. it's philips why

the he90 is the best. if you've got the money.. this is the headphones.
the amp, i think it's the T2. listened to the hev90, well it's 10% better than a he60. it's more refined. it's more everything. well, this 10% better but costs 1000s more. will you have the best or 10% less. it's in the 1000s that question. and it's the european products which gives that difference. forget sony, yep, forget sony and staxx
it's sennheiser which since 1993 rules.
reading headfi since 2001/2 it's still sennheiser he90 and 10% less he60,..
dammn, i dont care about the rest.

thats sick
it's mdr10 which is less than the senn=1989
and better the senns 1993
nothing changed the last 25 years

I looked at the cd player you have on vintage audio laser. Very pro audio. You should take a look at Sony ESPIRIT made around the same time. Cost no object stuff that still retains allot of its value today. Every bit as good as their reference series and imo. a bit better. Also the Phillips so fondly speak of, is found in allot of Japan made cdp's.

The more you dig the more I will promise you will find that audio was a global effort way before the internet. Kind of amazing. Luxman is the best example I can think of. They barrowed from everyone before they were sold and have not been independent Luxman since the mid 1980's. Since then it has really been Alpine and Azden but also a slew of other companies building their gears.

Dec 8, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #63 of 149
i dont like consumer products, they are less robust. + i like the look of professional equipment
80's and 90's=philips cdm's and dac are the best ever made. these are also in the studer/emt. its the reason why studer/emt 730 981 are so expensive. and becoming more expensive the years come by. it's not fun anymore the prices these days. vintage audio was fun years ago,because of it's low prices. it's over now

Yes, correct that Philips were superior in their CD players! There top models are,

Philips CD-850/880 and 950/960
(Philip CD-880 !! A must own!)

And also,

-Marantz CD94 / CD95 copy of Philips

And why were they the best? They had one of the greatest DAC chips install in them

The Legendary "TDA1541A DAC"

But Sony "R" series and there ES/XE Series were also a class on their own. I don't think the Espirit is on the same level as the other 2 I mention thou.

But I'll give it to Philips, Marantz and Pioneer in CDP golden era medals

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #64 of 149
Yes, correct that Philips were superior in their CD players! There top models are,

Philips CD-850/880 and 950/960
(Philip CD-880 !! A must own!)

And also,

-Marantz CD94 / CD95 copy of Philips

And why were they the best? They had one of the greatest DAC chips install in them

The Legendary "TDA1541A DAC"

But Sony "R" series and there ES/XE Series were also a class on their own. I don't think the Espirit is on the same level as the other 2 I mention thou.

But I'll give it to Philips, Marantz and Pioneer in CDP golden era medals

The same dac is in my sony das-r1 and quite a few people prefer the R1a which has a sony dac. Espirit is up there, check out sony apm-8.

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #65 of 149
@antimatter
perhaps you're right.
the problem with sony, it needs very fast amp and speakers.

as i noticed. the he60 pair is great with sony cds/p-3000. it's far better than studer d730 or emt930
why, the sony has live stage sound. iow it's very very wide sound + fatt bass sound. it's the bass which electrostats have not, but this cdp gives. best of both worlds
paired with a electrostat it's made in heaven.
for years i havent used this combo, actually i wanted it sold. but now, it's my favo pair. i have a smile.
when i hear underworld live, i have the feeling it's live. been to a live underworld concert. the studer nor the emt gives me that feeling.
oja, have a grado rs-1, well i have never used that one anymore for rock... gee, rock and electrostat.. yep, the sony

for speakers, i prefer studer emt. the sony is too sloww. unless very very fast amps + speakers
but for this combo, it's sony all the way. ok,it isn't that detailed, bass a bit less=30 year old caps. but it's balance, the feeling. the sony it's not perfect by far. but it makes me smile, i've never see that coming. i wanted to sell my sony cds/p pair, but now i wont sell my sony cds/p-3000. it's the studer d730 or emt 981 which going to be sold.

sony cds/p3000 + electrostat is bigg soundstage + fatt sound is great for live electro or rock=a very very big smile.
for more fast sound it's philips dac/cdm, is better combo for speakers

jazz, i prefer speakers
classical music he60 it's or studer or emt. haven't decided yet.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #67 of 149
I read that HE60 is susceptible to dust. Can someone confirm that this is true or not?

Every electrostatic Headphone is susceptible to dust. My HE60 have been used and stored without a dust cover in a fairly dusty room all these years and they sound exactly like a NOS pair. Only a few times they made a slight sizzling noise from one driver and all I had to do was blow in them with my mouth and they were back to normal, totally silent. All in all it’s not an issue.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #70 of 149
Um... why would you want to do that, might i ask?
There no gain in doing that from the HEV-70.
You need to move up to a 007t with CCS mod or KGSS
Also anyone know how many HE-60 was ever made?

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #71 of 149
Released Christmas 1993, unknown unit numbers and was released as a limited edition model.
Priced at 220,000 yen

Not much else? I like to know the discontinue date and unit total also.

Dec 17, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #72 of 149
Wait, let me get this straight. They where release a year later than the SR-Omega and cost 40,000 yen more.

Dec 18, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #73 of 149
1989 R10
1989/1990 AKG1000
1989 HP1000
1991 HE90
1991 CD3000
1993 Omega
1993 He60
1994 T2

(Not including the epic speakers, Cd-players, and vinyl players around this time too!)

I'm always marvel by this epic list of releases from 1989 to 1994. And supposedly yes the He60 costed more. Probably because it was a unit than just the headphone itself like the Omega. And again the HE60 was the Orpheus baby. So we should expect it to be soo.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #74 of 149
Um... why would you want to do that, might i ask?
There no gain in doing that from the HEV-70.
You need to move up to a 007t with CCS mod or KGSS
Also anyone know how many HE-60 was ever made?

I was thinking of selling my SRM-252S with my SR-003 Mk II, but I would then have nothing else to test HE60 on when I buy them, and if they arrive defective, I can't complain months later when I buy what I really want to use HE60 with.

I'm considering SPL Performer s800 as my power amp (not only for HE60, but also for SR-007, SR1a, 1266 Phi TC, HE6, K1000) and Mjolnir SRD-7 as my transformer. Phonitor x would be my pre-amp. Does anyone have any thoughts on this for HE60?

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #75 of 149
I was thinking of selling my SRM-252S with my SR-003 Mk II, but I would then have nothing else to test HE60 on when I buy them, and if they arrive defective, I can't complain months later when I buy what I really want to use HE60 with.

I'm considering SPL Performer s800 as my power amp (not only for HE60, but also for SR-007, SR1a, 1266 Phi TC, HE6, K1000) and Mjolnir SRD-7 as my transformer. Phonitor x would be my pre-amp. Does anyone have any thoughts on this for HE60?

I have tried many amps with the HE60, my current favorite is a SRD-7 hooked to a very low distortion speaker amp and I use it with EQ. Without EQ, I prefer a tube amp like the blue Hawaii etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back