Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Jan 3, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #286 of 3,016
As a matter of fact, I do! :)

I'll bring the entire lot with me so I hope to be able to evaluate most of it's sound properties in an orderly manner. Electronics are more expensive in Europe than elsewhere so the HDVA600 is 1600 Euro while the HDVD800 is 2000 Euro. At this price level I think people are entitled to expect excellent perfomance.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #287 of 3,016
thank you for taking your time to evaluate the unite. i have a mytek 192 , SLR phonitor and a denon avr 5805. they all sound great to my ears.
but if the amp is a cut above these i would like to buy one. the hdvd800 would be my choice.

i have the hd800 cans and several iem,s . your opinion on this amp matters to me
thank you

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #289 of 3,016
Hello!

As promised, here are my impressions of the Sennheiser HDVA600. There are few things you have to keep in mind though. As an audiophile, my approach to audio is derived from my music background and realism is what I value the most. Everyone knows that even studio masters are not the real thing but only an opinion on how it should sound. It is an opinion of the recording engineer for the most part. That is why my reference recordings are studio recordings I did years ago. I played in the orchestra, I was in the recording room when the mix was done and now in front of the speakers, or rather, headphones!

This approach might not be everyone's vision of audio nirvana but it is for me. So, without further adue, let's get to it!

Frequency response & balance

Straight out, the response seemed pretty extended to me. The acoustic bass was rendered very nicely with plenty room to breath and with no restrictions in the bottom end. Full draw church organ seemed pretty powerful to me with no colouration and depth seemed pretty realistic to me. Mid frequencies were equally good even though this is something I expected. National folk string instruments sounded as realistic as I have heard them. Equally good were the vocal choirs. High end sounded pretty good too. It was smooth and well integrated into the lower parts of the spectrum. However, I did notice a certain amount of grain in symphony strings. It was given away with slight edginess around the notes but I didn't feel like it was a serious problem. All in all, the response is above average with excellent low end and mid range while the high end lacks a little bit of refinement and polishing. Response integration and uniformity was very good to excellent. Certainly above average but not the best I've heard. I give it an 8 out of 10.

Dynamics, attack & decay

Dynamics is an extraordinarily importanct criteria and the amplifier performed well in this regard. Symphony orchestra sounded very articulate and dynamically correct. Macro dynamics was excellent and the amplifier seemed to have no problems providing full scope of dynamics, from intermittent accents of the front row instruments to huge orchestral parts with cymbals. Very nice indeed. Japanese traditional drums sounded powerful and yet never out of control. They are not overly musical in my opinion but they do present quite a strain on amplification. However, micro dynamics was not as convincing. Everything was there but it wasn't as obvious as I would have liked it to be. The natural timbre of a national string instrument (known as „pearls“) was reproduced in a manner that seemed to limit the instrument's resonance. In a way, it sounded a bit more sterile or dry as some would put it. It seemed as though the amplifier was very controlled in it's presentation and I would agree with that but still, the instruments didn't sound as realistic as I've heard them. As far as symphony instruments go, they were reproduced pretty well and due to their inherent design and playing technique, this flaw was not as obvious. Full scope dynamics attack was very good like the macro dynamics. Small deviations in volume were rendered well and generally, this amplifier had the ability to surprise me. Decay seemed to have been controlled so each note ended when it supposed to, not sooner and not after. Piano ambient music revealed a very textured decay so this, in my view, compensates for the lack of micro dynamics and I give this amplifier an 8 out of 10.

Detail resolution

Micro dynamics and detail resolution breathe as one even though there are some discerning differences. Overall, the amplifier was pretty detailed with lots of low level detail that made the session worthwhile. We are way beyond simple string plucks here and in the realm where air conditiong that was operating during the live session gets in the way. So yes, I'd say this amplifier is very detailed in it's presentation. Still, the aforementioned grain in the high end made things a bit difficult and in certain cases the amplifier seemed to have produced details that weren't really there. I couldn't discriminate these features as instrument properties, moving of the musician's chair or turning the page of the music book on the stand. In a way, it was a bit translucent but not in a way where I would say it had a bit of sparkle because it wasn't detail that was on the recording. Still, this isn't a serious problem by any means. Once again, I give it an 8 out of 10.

Spatial imaging & sound stage

As expected, sound stage was very good. The width seemed realistic and so did the height. The depth, however, was not always as transparent as I would have liked it to be. Of course, there's only a hanful of recordings with realistically recorded sound stage so this should not be a problem for the most part. Still, reference recordings reveal a somewhat dense structure where there is less space between the front and back row of musicians. Good detail resolution as well as dynamics allowed for good instrument placement accuracy so there were no problems there. If the sound stage was deeper, it would have allowed for more air between individual instruments and it would undoubtedly improve the micro dynamics. But as it is, it is really not bad at all. Imaging left something to be desired however. There was no diffused field however and the image was well laid out and coherent with most recordings. However, electronic instruments with lots of channel panning did seem to be lower in volume once they were in the center of the image. Obviously, the image was not spherical enough to allow for better imaging. There is a certain sound effect that simulates fireworks where you have this rocket that goes up in the sky, explodes into several pieces and then you can follow the trajectory of each individual piece. Very attractive indeed and it was rendered rather well so I would say it still has good imaging and that is why I give it a 7 out of 10.

Build quality & ease of use

It is a straightforward amplifier and as such, it is simple to use. The power on/off switch is a sensory type with a blue LED ring around it. The volume control potentiometer is very nice and smooth as is the rotary input selector switch on the front. Headphone output connectors on the front panel are of good quality and so are the ones on the back panel. However, at this price point I find the cheap RCA connetors unacceptable. This is a headphone amplifier and as such it is bound to be disconnected, moved and reconnected more than a couple of times. Even though these conntectors would withstand a bit of that, much nicer ones would have been appreciated and not nearly as expensive as the glass covered top. One interesting detail is the volume control shaft. Apparently, the potentiometer on the front panel is hooked up to a long shaft that goes half way into the chassis and this is where the actual attenuator is located. Clearly, some effort has gone into making the signal path shorter. It's a nice touch and in the days of high fidelity mayham in the late seventies and early eighties Sony used to use this principle for almost all switches on their higher end components.  Finish is first class as expected. If not for those cheap connectors on the back, I would have given it a pure 10 but as it is, it only gets an 8.

Value for money

At 1600 Euro in Croatia and most parts of Europe, this is not at all a cheap amplifier. It does offer a pretty high level of performance for the money but competition is more than stiff. It is one of the most expensive solid state amplifiers available in this part of the world. The conclusion is then, the Sennheiser delivers but not to a point where someone should buy it without taking a good listen at the competition. From a perspective of audio technology, this is a nice piece that will appeal to many I am sure and one day might prove to be quite a valuable piece since we don't know how many they are planning on producing. 

Headphones used: Sennheiser HD800 and HD650, Beyerdynamit T1, highly modified AKG K240DF (used only to verify the response balance)
Transport: modified Denon DCD-1520 (Sony KSS-151)
D/A converter: reference triode DAC ver. 1.1. (based on a single 6H30 fed directly off CS4398's pins, no output filter, Mundorf silver/gold/oil throughout, Holco 1% resistors)

If anyone is interested in hearing how the HDVA600 pairs with HD650, let me know. The amplifier was tested using the HD800 for the most part with some excursions with the T1.

Cheers!
Antun

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #290 of 3,016
fantastic review - very thorough and detailed 

even though you say its good but not necessarily a must buy amp your description of the sound is so enticing it makes me want to audition it 

how would you compare it to say a lehmann bcl which i know a lot of HD800 owners use (including myself)

Thanks

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #291 of 3,016
I had the Linear but borrowed it to a friend and it has been sitting in his rack for quite some time. I wouldn't base my comments on memory however so I'd prefer to answer that when I get it back. Since I borrowed it I had several different amplifiers in my rack and I'd be arrogant if I said I recalled every specific detail about each of them:) In any case, these amplifiers in between have somehow managed to cloud my judgement. I will say this however, the imaging is superior on the Sennheiser. It has more capacity in that regard and sound stage, though not as well defined, seemed more realistic. Whether this is derived from using the balanced outputs or not, I cannot really say.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #292 of 3,016
Quote:
fantastic review - very thorough and detailed 

how would you compare it to say a lehmann bcl which i know a lot of HD800 owners use (including myself)

Thanks

+1

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #293 of 3,016
Mike, I liked your YT preview of the Bryston amplifier so much that I went out and bought it! Well, not quite as I have spent months listening to different amplifiers but it was a nice overview nonetheless:) I am still waiting for the PS audio Nuwave review though!

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #294 of 3,016
Quote:
I had the Linear but borrowed it to a friend and it has been sitting in his rack for quite some time. I wouldn't base my comments on memory however so I'd prefer to answer that when I get it back. Since I borrowed it I had several different amplifiers in my rack and I'd be arrogant if I said I recalled every specific detail about each of them:) In any case, these amplifiers in between have somehow managed to cloud my judgement. I will say this however, the imaging is superior on the Sennheiser. It has more capacity in that regard and sound stage, though not as well defined, seemed more realistic. Whether this is derived from using the balanced outputs or not, I cannot really say.

Can you comment on V200 vs HDVD600?

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #296 of 3,016
Ok Ty I would like to here that combo. I am still considering the unit but I must admit
I'm not happy with reviews. I wonder what the review was for the Orpheus when it
Was first released. It seems no one is Praising it. Wheather the HDVD 600 or HDVD800
I will be waiting for your review

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #297 of 3,016
I don't see any particular parameter where I would choose the V200 over the HDVA600. It may be far from perfect but it is not at all bad and it does deliver. I just don't think it delivers enough for 1600 Euro.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #299 of 3,016
thanks . i look forward to more reviews before i buy. i own a slp phonitor its sounds good to me, I'm going to wait and see when somebody in NYC has it i will bring my headphones and some of my cd,s to compare. but your insight was good to read though

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back