Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Apr 20, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #46 of 3,016

Quote:
This Press Release explains quite a bit about the amp.

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/press_releases_160412hdvd

Seems pretty amazing.

And from what that article says, it seems like balanced headphone cables (for the HD800) will come with the amp. Regardless, it mentions that they will be available, which is awesome.

good info - thanks for that and yes balanced cables bundled with it are a bonus - mind you for that price they should 

interesting to note the 150mm shaft to enable the potentiometer to be placed right alongside the source - those crafty germans !!

Quote:

according to the Press release it appears to be  an in house design from bottom up. Looks like 2K is the price also.  Interesting amplifier . i wish they were also offering an amp only.

the dac is the curious part - I can understand them taking on HP amp design but high end DAC design takes experience and is a whole new field of expertise. Plus we all know a lot of audiophiles like the flexibility of separate components so really there asking HD800 owners to put aside or sell both their dac and their amp to make way for the HDVD800. Then again if they have come up with some outstanding product that outperforms high end separate DACs and HP amps then i would gladly sell mine to pay for it. Cant wait for the product to start being previewed.I suppose if there looking at Sept for general sale then we may be looking at july/aug for some reviews

Apr 20, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #48 of 3,016
I am really curious about the amp I did not see any rear picture of the amp
if they are clever could start pre sales for less for those who already had a registered original hd800 hd700 or Hd650
it will a hard competition  against well established  headphone amplifiers live phonitor bcl v200 vincent A1 (all german made by the way)
there are no break up new technologies in the field of amplificatiion  maybe a clever circuit technology 
I am sure  the researches at Sen knows a thing or two in electronics but they use the same basic components like the others
arranged in a secret undisclosed strange and rare topology

Apr 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #49 of 3,016

Quote:

interesting to note the 150mm shaft to enable the potentiometer to be placed right alongside the source - those crafty germans !!

Uh no, it's been done long before.  Liquid Lightning and DIY T2 amps have them among many others.

the dac is the curious part - I can understand them taking on HP amp design but high end DAC design takes experience and is a whole new field of expertise.

Exactly.  Still smacks of TI/Burr Brown to me:  

DAC is Burr Brown-owned by TI
Amp is digital balanced-Ti makes digital balanced amps
Amp 'designed and made in Germany'-TI has a manufacturing/research plant in Friesing, Deutschland specializing in digital and analog circuits, etc.

Just sayin' 
wink_face.gif

Btw, so one plug is for analog input > analog output and the other is for the symmetrical digital input > analog output?  Might this explain the two four pin XLRs?  This would mean it's not a bridged type or 'fully balanced' design but balanced in the strictest sense.

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #50 of 3,016

Quote:
I know what will renew interest in the HD800 even more, an 800$ price like it had for a while at launch.

I don't remember HD800 ever being less that 999€.

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #58 of 3,016

Quote:
Any body going  at HIgh end 2012 May 03rd to 6th 2012 in Munich ? the amp will be presented there

I really want to but I probably won't get leave at work since one of my co-workers is on vacation in Vietnam till 7th and the other is pregnant.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #59 of 3,016

Quote:
Anyone else wonder if the Sennheiser amp is OEM by Lehmann? Design is reminiscent of their amps.

Yeah, that the first thing that crossed my mind. 
It looked like a sports car with sunroof actually.

Quote:
Just something random.  Ti makes DACs too don't forget. 

http://www.ti.com/lit/sg/slyt312/slyt312.pdf

Wow, DAC oh DAC, everyone is making one.

Quote:
I have a feeling it's gonna suck :p

I'm wating till Service Pack 2 is released :)

Quote:
Correct me if wrong... but the BCLs only have XLR as input, and not as headphone output (only 1/4" jacks).
So chances are that it's not related to the BCL design.

Given the size, I'm a bit skeptical - how good a power supply can you get in there?
How much shielding can be put inbetween the DAC and the sensitive analogue signal paths.

BCL only have SE input, not XLR.
I always like a separate system, I mean DAC and amp, so I can buy the best design (that I can afford) in the specific areas, but of course for some people, compactness is more important, so

No information what DAC chip is used?

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #60 of 3,016
I think this is primarily for those people that want to leave no doubt that their amp pairs perfectly with their headphones. Despite it being a little difficult to find a good match for the 800, I think there are a lot of amps that go well with Senns. Also, for some reason I've never felt comfortable paying more for an amp than the cost of my primary phones.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back