Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Mar 3, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #2,986 of 3,016
Dac inside hdvd800 is not less sq than I thought.
Especialy for Wav and flac format, very clean and clear compare to AK sp1000.
I was mis-judge about dac quality.
Audio path in comparision :
(1)Tidal hifi - SP1000 3.5mm line out - furutech 3.5 to dual rca cable i35R - hdvd800 - hd800s.
(2) Tidal hifi ( bypass window audio) - Laptop (no DC charge) - furutech usb GT2 pro cable - hdvd800 - hd800s

Both device play same tidal track at a moment and switch selector of the amp.

Jul 29, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #2,987 of 3,016
Hello? Hello? Hello?
Is there anybody in here?
Just nod if you can hear me, Is there anyone at home?

IMG_1374.JPG

Jul 29, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #2,988 of 3,016
IS THERE ANY ONE USE AC FILTER FOR HDVD800?

STOP!!!

I finally remove ac filter today. It is not just today I found the sq affected by ac filter. But today I confirm it again.
For copper cable : less dynamic, decrease sound stage.
For silver plated cable : dry and rough, hash sound.

By remove AC filter, copper sound more bold and better dynic. Silver sound clean, silky smooth, much transparency.

Power filter harms the sound

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #2,989 of 3,016
just noticed this now, if i put the volume knob all the way down i can still hear music :D anyone else have this with their hdvd800?

Nov 7, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #2,990 of 3,016
just noticed this now, if i put the volume knob all the way down i can still hear music :D anyone else have this with their hdvd800?
Not with my HDVA600 but yes with my Taurus (fully balanced).

Nov 7, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #2,991 of 3,016
Not with my HDVD 800 to my HD 800, but it is the tiniest of increments, perhaps only 3% of a turn up from zero, before I can hear music. I can imagine that if I were in a super quiet room (simple noise like furnace fan can be heard through the open headphone) or a particularly high volume recording, I could hear at zero!

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #2,992 of 3,016

You set highest gain in back side panel of the amp and 2V from dap.
That's it.

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #2,996 of 3,016
The quality of HDVD800's DAC is highly questionable. How I got about testing the HDVD800 is quite different but here it is. I compared the HDVD800 to the HDV820 side by side, which for the HDV820 Sennheiser said that they had improved on the amp and dac portions. Setup was fully balanced, took more than an hour and a half to remember all the differences at the Sennheiser store.
I noticed significant differences straight away through the HD800. The sound signature changed quite a bit where the low-ends were MUCH MUCH deeper(very noticeable) and present while vocals were slightly sweeter(better transients in throatiness on top of all). Soundstage was slightly more accurate in the sense that it was much accurately separated and very very slightly deeper. The micro details were evidently more pronounced when I was playing Adele's Someone Like You Live Concert at Royal Albert Hall. Her "mouth movements" and diction was much more present. The music in one word became 'beefier'.
It was overall about 10-20% improvement/difference IMO. Based on the dac and amp portions of both models, I am pretty sure the DAC portion of the HDVD800 fell short somewhere along the way. Owning the HDVD800 myself, I do expect slight(maybe 5-10% the most) overall improvements in SQ especially in the resolution with a better dac around the HDVD800's price range. I have recently ordered a Gungnir MB to see if the resolution and perhaps, if only perhaps, the sound signature would change for better/worse.

Feb 3, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #2,997 of 3,016
Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #2,998 of 3,016
The quality of HDVD800's DAC is highly questionable. How I got about testing the HDVD800 is quite different but here it is. I compared the HDVD800 to the HDV820 side by side, which for the HDV820 Sennheiser said that they had improved on the amp and dac portions. Setup was fully balanced, took more than an hour and a half to remember all the differences at the Sennheiser store.
I noticed significant differences straight away through the HD800. The sound signature changed quite a bit where the low-ends were MUCH MUCH deeper(very noticeable) and present while vocals were slightly sweeter(better transients in throatiness on top of all). Soundstage was slightly more accurate in the sense that it was much accurately separated and very very slightly deeper. The micro details were evidently more pronounced when I was playing Adele's Someone Like You Live Concert at Royal Albert Hall. Her "mouth movements" and diction was much more present. The music in one word became 'beefier'.
It was overall about 10-20% improvement/difference IMO. Based on the dac and amp portions of both models, I am pretty sure the DAC portion of the HDVD800 fell short somewhere along the way. Owning the HDVD800 myself, I do expect slight(maybe 5-10% the most) overall improvements in SQ especially in the resolution with a better dac around the HDVD800's price range. I have recently ordered a Gungnir MB to see if the resolution and perhaps, if only perhaps, the sound signature would change for better/worse.

As the Dac of HDVD800 was not known for being "stellar", I had got the HDVA600, which has no DAC, but same analog part, but slightly better RCA input stage and used an external DAC like Hugo2. This combination drives the HD800S and HE1000v2 quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back