Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Dec 1, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #2,716 of 3,016

Hi,
Honestly, I didn't give the BHA-1 much of a chance with the HD800.  Tried it once and remember not being overly impressed, but it wasn't an extended listening session.  Will give it a better evaluation in a couple weeks.  I've been really happy with the SQ of the HDVA600 - HD800.

Thanks. I am still interested to hear you comparison, now that I just joined the HDVD 800 party. Just picked up a used one a couple of hours ago and running it for close to two hours now. it's better than I remember when I heard it at the shop.
  I have the HDVD 800 so I assume the DAC end is not what you are interested in.  The DAC in the HDVD800 is OK but I find the DACs in both my disc players, OPPO BDP95 and Marantz SA8005 to be superior.  However I am looking to upgrade DACs, considering Benchmark DAC2 HGC or Chord Hugo.

Anyway, to answer your question, both Amps are identical, I believe, and the pairing of HD800 to HDVD 800 is superb.  I have no experience with BHA 1 so I cannot answer.  I do know the pairing of amp to cans is extremely important in some cases so proceed with caution if you are considering something other than the Sennheiser.  I tried a Burson amp for a while and found my little Creek drove my Senns better than the far more expensive Burson HA160D ? was that It, don't remember model # for sure.

IF you stick with the HDVA you won't go wrong.  Not saying there isn't better, but probably not at that price point.

I am running it with its own DAC right now. Maybe in a few days I will try it out with my DAC.

That Burson amp was another one that I considered picking up but when I saw this deal, I couldn't pass it up and committed to it without even mentioning it to my wife first, which was a risky move because I just picked up a new BlackBerry Priv (man it is an amazing phone). I must have caught her on a good day.

... I have heard recent comments about the Schiit Mjolnir2 w/ tubes performing very well with the HD800.  I have the Mjolnir1 w/o tubes and it does not pair well with the HD800 - too bright.  The tube effect of the Mojo2 is probably reducing some of the inherent HD800 bright treble range.

To the high-end, I heard the HD800 driven by the Yggy/Ragnarok and Yggy/WA5 stacks at the Nashville meet.  Both stacks drove the HD800 exceptionally well - there was no brightness at all to the SQ, just really great mid/treble performance, especially with the WA5 amp.

As for DAC's, I am using the Schiit Gungnir MultiBit and would recommend it as a great pairing with the HDVA600.  The level of detail and SQ are excellent with the MB technology from Schiit Audio.

Enjoy your music!
RCB

I found the same with the amps that I've had with the HD 800 so far. My tube amp was quite bright too.

I was close to getting the Rag a few months ago but there was no demo unit to try so I would have had to buy it without having tried it first.

I am tempted to go for the Gungnir MultiBit but that wouldn't be good for my marriage. Need to give it some time. I am still so surprised that I pulled out of this one unscathed. :)

When I first purchased my HD800 I also had a very difficult time trying to decide on the right amp. I tried several and never did like th synergy some amps were overly bright and some just never matched well. When Sennheiser released the HDVA600 and HDVD800 I decided I would buy it and give it a try.

It's difficult to make these types of decisions because I don't have a place where I can audition amp/dac's and I don't have a bunch of money to float.
In the end I decided on the all in one HDVD800, in hindsight I would have probably gone with the dac-less model the HDVA600 but I'm very happy with the HDVD800 and the synergy is great, its just a perfect pairing. Good luck but with your choice. I can tell you only from my ears that the Senn amps really do have great synergy with HD800.

I know it's only been a couple of hours on it so far but I am very happy with it so far. But I will give it some time and come back to this in a few days at least.

Thank you all for pushing me over the edge in going for this. I wouldn't have done this without you guys. LOL

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #2,717 of 3,016
Its a beautiful amp and should bring you years of enjoyment. Congrats and do please give your impressions when you have more hours under your belt.

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #2,718 of 3,016
Hi folks,

Has anyone got any experience of running the Beyer T1 through this amp or the HDVA600? It seems the higher output impedance on the amp helps with the T1 voicing. Am particularly interested in any v1 versus v2 comparisons given the v1 is available at a discount now and not everyone seems to think the v2 is a clear upgrade.

I'm running the HD800 through my HDVA600 (DAC is Benchark DAC2 HGC) which is fine but am interested in trying a different sound flavour for rock and electronica, as I'm not sure they are the HD800's strongest area.

Cheers :)

Dec 1, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #2,719 of 3,016
I have a set of Hifiman HE400i that I have incoming couldn't pass the 299. Black Friday deal.
it will be the first set of cans other than HD800 used on the HDVD800, so I am very much looking forward to how they pair.
I really wanted to try another set of cans and get a different sound signature to try for a change. I'll come back with my impressions after this weekend.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #2,720 of 3,016
How would you compare your HDVA600 to the BHA-1? I am interested in both for my HD800.

I have both the HDVA600 and BHA-1. Both are very musical with the HD800. The HDVA600 sounds a touch smoother and warmer than the BHA-1, and micro details come through slightly clearer. The BHA-1 is more neutral and has a slightly better dynamics. It is also more extended in the bass and treble.

Both amps are great choices with the HD800, but if you have other headphones, e.g. LCDX, Sony Z7, the BHA1 is probably the more versatile option.

Dec 4, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #2,721 of 3,016
I have both the HDVA600 and BHA-1. Both are very musical with the HD800. The HDVA600 sounds a touch smoother and warmer than the BHA-1, and micro details come through slightly clearer. The BHA-1 is more neutral and has a slightly better dynamics. It is also more extended in the bass and treble.

Both amps are great choices with the HD800, but if you have other headphones, e.g. LCDX, Sony Z7, the BHA1 is probably the more versatile option.

+1  

Well stated. The HDVA600 pairs well with the HD800 (as it should).  However, the BHA-1 is likely more truthful in its presentation. 

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #2,722 of 3,016
+1  

Well stated. The HDVA600 pairs well with the HD800 (as it should).  However, the BHA-1 is likely more truthful in its presentation. 
I can add that both amps also pair well with the Schiit Yggdrasil. The Ygg/HDVA600/HD800 combo sounds rich and nicely balanced, while the Ygg/BHA1/HD800 combo gives a "live" music experience.

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #2,723 of 3,016
Thanks for the comments about the BHA-1 and HD800.  Now I really must seriously test that combination.

Cheers -
RCB

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #2,724 of 3,016
I've heard the HDVD800 and HD800, and I think its best to go with the HDVA600 due to the DAC inside the HDVD800. You can get a much better DAC to pair with the HDVA600. 

If you're open to suggestions, I really enjoy the Woo Audio WA22 with the Schiit Gungnir DAC. Fantastic pairing with the Sennheiser HD800. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #2,725 of 3,016
  I've heard the HDVD800 and HD800, and I think its best to go with the HDVA600 due to the DAC inside the HDVD800. You can get a much better DAC to pair with the HDVA600. 

If you're open to suggestions, I really enjoy the Woo Audio WA22 with the Schiit Gungnir DAC. Fantastic pairing with the Sennheiser HD800. 

Great advice! I also wish to know, how is the WA22 compared to the HDVA600?

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #2,726 of 3,016
Dec 6, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #2,727 of 3,016
I'd have to compare it to the WA2 due to the cost difference from the WA22. It's closer to the price range of the HDVA600.

I personally prefer the tube sound to the Solid state sound. And I enjoy trying new tubes to alter the characteristics of the amplifier. Both are very good but also different in nature. I can't recommend one over the other without telling you to listen to them for yourself. But my preference is surely with Woo Audio (bias because it's my current amplifier)

Dec 6, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #2,728 of 3,016

The WA22 is a lot better, but a lot pricier.

I'd have to compare it to the WA2 due to the cost difference from the WA22. It's closer to the price range of the HDVA600.

I personally prefer the tube sound to the Solid state sound. And I enjoy trying new tubes to alter the characteristics of the amplifier. Both are very good but also different in nature. I can't recommend one over the other without telling you to listen to them for yourself. But my preference is surely with Woo Audio (bias because it's my current amplifier)

Interesting that you both weigh more on the Woo Audio amps. I always read or hear that Sennheiser's amps are the end all for the HD 800 as they bring about the best in that particular headphone. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #2,730 of 3,016
I tried a Woo Wa7 beautiful amp/DAC combo with HD800 and it is way to dark for me, the HDVD800 has much better synergy and pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back