Sennheiser HDV 820 Thoughts and Impressions
Apr 14, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #31 of 163
i sold my hdv 820 to get the rogue rh 5 which i don't regret but like the other person said
i could see myself getting it again down the road as i do miss it for certain genres.

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #32 of 163
Isnt it a downgrade using hugo with no balanced output? Since the hd800s probably a better sounding hp on balanced?

Apr 19, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #33 of 163
Isnt it a downgrade using hugo with no balanced output? Since the hd800s probably a better sounding hp on balanced?

I was thinking the same thing. Thinking to myself if I’m going to spend over 2k I want something a little beefer and big compared to the Hugo2. But to answer you question no, the Hugo2 doesn’t need balanced because of the way it’s configured. Balanced. Balanced out is a method to remove noise but the way the Hugo2 is setup it doesn’t need balanced out.
Also, it really boils down to what type of music you listen to.

Apr 20, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #34 of 163
I was thinking the same thing. Thinking to myself if I’m going to spend over 2k I want something a little beefer and big compared to the Hugo2. But to answer you question no, the Hugo2 doesn’t need balanced because of the way it’s configured. Balanced. Balanced out is a method to remove noise but the way the Hugo2 is setup it doesn’t need balanced out.
Also, it really boils down to what type of music you listen to.

I just got my self a hdv 820, prior was listening with ifi micro dsd black found the sound to be sibilant and a bit to high in peaks. Got the hdv 820 and I find it to be slightly still high to my liking but overall the sound is like very wide and enormous, it seems like its higher bandwith its large versus the micro dsd bL. Also feel more micro details and sound is more texturised. I do love it versus my ifi micro, it made me feel like when I swaped listening from my phone to ifi, the phone sounded dull and tiny, now my Ifi feels the same way versus the hdv 820 hehe.

Could you describe me how is the difference between hugo 2 and the hdv 820? I have read people saying that hugo2 has a better dac but for me the hdv820 seems to be very good, can you share some toughts for me please :)

I listen to a bit everything but more on the side of like ambiant music chillout's meditation it has lot of electronic music in it, but since I got the hd 800 s I started to go toward real orchestra recording and solo singers with guitars, it sounds amazing on hd 800s

Apr 24, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #35 of 163
I must admit the HDV820+HD800S is a really great combination. Prior to selling mine I couldn’t decide on which to keep, Hugo2 or HDV820 but ultimately I sold the HDV820. To my ears Hugo 2 was a bit, a smidget, minuscule more musical to my ears than HDV820. I can definitely see me getting it again though.
Is that your opinion when both driving HD800s? Thought i read HD800s was a bit thin sounding with Hugo 2.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #36 of 163
Is that your opinion when both driving HD800s? Thought i read HD800s was a bit thin sounding with Hugo 2.

Thats what I am worried about. The thin sounding since the hdv 820 has a super powerfull amp its sounds thick marvelous and lots of power. Though I find the dac to be a bit less prominent on the micro details. Its there but less in your face you need concentrate more on those sub small details. I love the way my micro idsd black dac works its stellar crystal clear and sharp very pure. Ifi products are very refined. Though I only have 30min auditioned on my hdv820 so far had to return the product to store it was damaged during the delivery.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #37 of 163
Thats what I am worried about. The thin sounding since the hdv 820 has a super powerfull amp its sounds thick marvelous and lots of power. Though I find the dac to be a bit less prominent on the micro details. Its there but less in your face you need concentrate more on those sub small details. I love the way my micro idsd black dac works its stellar crystal clear and sharp very pure. Ifi products are very refined. Though I only have 30min auditioned on my hdv820 so far had to return the product to store it was damaged during the delivery.
Hope you can try it proper soon. Loved micro idsd bl with hd 650 Never heard so wide soundstage ever and very detailed, more then hd 800s with mojo imo. But idsd bl had sound drops with my tv with optical. Now have chord mojo dac and it dont have sound drops with my tv.

One way to go for me could also be getting a focal clear and running it with mojo or hugo 2 maybe. Or maximize hd 800s peformance with great amp pairing.

Apr 26, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #38 of 163
Hope you can try it proper soon. Loved micro idsd bl with hd 650 Never heard so wide soundstage ever and very detailed, more then hd 800s with mojo imo. But idsd bl had sound drops with my tv with optical. Now have chord mojo dac and it dont have sound drops with my tv.

One way to go for me could also be getting a focal clear and running it with mojo or hugo 2 maybe. Or maximize hd 800s peformance with great amp pairing.

I never heard the hd 6xx series in my opinion its a different type of headphone maybe more bassy. I beleive the hd800s is still suoerior. Been using it with my micro idsd bl and it sounds very good though it still bright on highs and often male and female voices has way to much ssss and that hurting my ears. Treble can get harsh some times at very high notes. I got that treble fixed by using my laptop as audio source, android just do to much up and down sample and its horrible a lot of pops and clicks. When I hooked the hdv820 the difference from the micro idsd was noticable rightaway! The amp on hdv is incredibly powerfull no need for high volume the thickness is outstanding. Unfortunately i dont have much experience with high end gear this is my first high end dac amp combo and I wonder how would ifi ican pro compare to hdv820 maybe some folks here have an idea?

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #39 of 163
I never heard the hd 6xx series in my opinion its a different type of headphone maybe more bassy. I beleive the hd800s is still suoerior. Been using it with my micro idsd bl and it sounds very good though it still bright on highs and often male and female voices has way to much ssss and that hurting my ears. Treble can get harsh some times at very high notes. I got that treble fixed by using my laptop as audio source, android just do to much up and down sample and its horrible a lot of pops and clicks. When I hooked the hdv820 the difference from the micro idsd was noticable rightaway! The amp on hdv is incredibly powerfull no need for high volume the thickness is outstanding. Unfortunately i dont have much experience with high end gear this is my first high end dac amp combo and I wonder how would ifi ican pro compare to hdv820 maybe some folks here have an idea?
Yeah harshness sucks. According to this review, hdv820 is smooth tuned even though he reviewed it with harsher original hd 800.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/reviews/sennheiser-hdv-820/

May 1, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #40 of 163
Read lot of mixed things about this amp+dac. On the positive people like iDesign who claim its really solid and the perfect combination for HD 800S even over things like Chord Dave and Yggy and then others including what hifi saying basically its decent but theres many better options.

I'm curious to audition it.

May 4, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #41 of 163
Read lot of mixed things about this amp+dac. On the positive people like iDesign who claim its really solid and the perfect combination for HD 800S even over things like Chord Dave and Yggy and then others including what hifi saying basically its decent but theres many better options.

I'm curious to audition it.

I have currently the hd 800 s and hdv 820 and about 50 hours of listening done, its brand new though the headphones have more then 200h already used it with the idsd micro black. And I can tell you it sound very good with the hdv 820, way better then the micro black. The bass have improved nicely quiet a different experience now. Much less sibilance almost inexistant and micro details are also well elaborated. sound stage is already amazing just on the hd800s now with hdv 820 it gets stellar good. say overall its a very good match no matter what style of music you listen to. I also remarked it got easier on your ears its not aggressive, when you got quiet moments in the music it kinda feels like its making me fall asleep lol, also when the beats gos up then sudently it starts to open the flow and things go quickly. That amp and dac adapts it self to the music you listen it decides how much bass to add the cross feed is gentle to.when you got the music shifting from right to left its very smooth and easy almost like time is paused and swing the music all around you. Well I can say that I am enjoying it alot he.
My setup is aeorus x5 -> Idefender3.0 -> mercury3.0 -> Ipurifier3.0 -> hdv 820 also using the furutech pguard 15 for iec cable. Waiting to swap the stock hp cable to for the wire world cable the nano silver.

May 4, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #42 of 163
oh Yea also forgot to mention the first impression when I pored music threw this wonderful setup. The sound was very imence like note loud but very powerful and full of richness the hd800s leted that thick voluminous sound to be very well felt it was quiet powerful. Made my idsd micro sound like a thin small sound card hehe, though its still an awsume dac + amp combo wont say bad things about it.

May 24, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #43 of 163
oh Yea also forgot to mention the first impression when I pored music threw this wonderful setup. The sound was very imence like note loud but very powerful and full of richness the hd800s leted that thick voluminous sound to be very well felt it was quiet powerful. Made my idsd micro sound like a thin small sound card hehe, though its still an awsume dac + amp combo wont say bad things about it.

Have you heard any other top amps + Dacs to compare them to like ragnarok, moon neo 430 or dacs like yggydrasil ?

May 25, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #44 of 163
Have you heard any other top amps + Dacs to compare them to like ragnarok, moon neo 430 or dacs like yggydrasil ?

Unfortunately not this is my first top end gear I ever owned actually. In my opinion its really good and specially for the price its probably cheaper to.

All I owned is ifi Micro idsd black, Lg v30, shure se846, also jds labs cd5 amp/dac.

And my new setup with the hdv820 and hd800s is really awsume, though I also listen mainly to spotify with it to lol. I know its not audiophile but I love spotify and all the convenience it offers

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #45 of 163
Can you listen to it with a balanced headphone cable when you have a dac with a unbalanced rca cables conected to it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back