Sennheiser HDV 820 Thoughts and Impressions
Nov 4, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #151 of 163
Hi, I have a HDV 820 with a Bluesound Node 2i running into it via coax. When I stream 24/192 songs the sound is broken up and fractured - both units are specified as handling such 24/192 songs through coax. Any thoughts as to what's happening here. 24/96 songs sound fine. Thanks.

Nov 24, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #154 of 163
-Deleted-

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #155 of 163
Has anyone compared the HDV to the Burson Conductor Reference? I have no complaints from using it with an LCD-4, LCD-2, HEK and HD820. Sounded great with all of them. Surprised with the amount of detail it provided with the LCD 4. The bass actually slams really hard with the LCD 2s on this thing. Very enjoyable. Did not think that would be the case given the whole refined nature of it.

Like others, I’m looking for an end game AIO. I’ve messed around too much with interconnects, headphone cables etc and it gets exhausting trying to find the fight synergy between components. This thing just lets you sit and relax and listen to your music and it’s got a lot of power even by todays standards.

Feb 12, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #156 of 163
Has anyone compared the HDV to the Burson Conductor Reference? I have no complaints from using it with an LCD-4, LCD-2, HEK and HD820. Sounded great with all of them. Surprised with the amount of detail it provided with the LCD 4. The bass actually slams really hard with the LCD 2s on this thing. Very enjoyable. Did not think that would be the case given the whole refined nature of it.

Like others, I’m looking for an end game AIO. I’ve messed around too much with interconnects, headphone cables etc and it gets exhausting trying to find the fight synergy between components. This thing just lets you sit and relax and listen to your music and it’s got a lot of power even by todays standards.
For me, my Oppo HA-1 is still my desert island/zombie apocalypse DAC/AMP... IMO for someone who hates brightness, loves smoothness, and still wants detail and oodles of resolution it beats the HDV820 as my favorite... That said I don't even like the analytical sound, but when I first tried the HDV 820 I knew I was keeping it, the thing is truly insane, agree accentuates the warmth very well while still keeping everything else strong... Don't know anything about the Burson but I think regardless the HDV 820 is classy, beautiful, simple, with a small footprint and just a keeper, if you own HD800/800S/820 it's hard to fathom selling it!

Feb 28, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #157 of 163
I've had my HDV 820 for a few months now, and the HD800S for a few months prior to that. I have been wondering how I should summarize this combo...so i'll just say this: I kind of get it. Sometimes I think of this amp like Schrödinger's cat, it both is and isn't alive in a time and space where it's never been easier (and simultaneously more complicated) to piece together a good headphone solution. It's also almost five years old, and still has a retail of $2399 (I did not pay this, my unit was $1399+tax). In 2021/2022 that can get you a whole kaboodle of system.

Before HDV 820, I ran the Valhalla 2 with very nice Brimar CV-4033 input tubes, which was incredible on the HD6XX, but I never really felt that same magic with the HD800S. I bought the HDV 820 for a few specific reasons: wanting solid state instead of tubes, something that was fully balanced, something that would not "filter" any inputs (which is what I hear the Sony TA-ZH1ES does), but most importantly I wanted to take the guesswork out of a great solid state amp option for running Sennheiser headphones exclusively. In that regard, I feel like I hit the jackpot with this thing. However the on-board DAC was an added bonus for me and not really something I seriously considered because I wanted to continue using my Bifrost 2. I seriously considered the RME-ADI 2 FS instead of the HDV 820 but it felt like the opposite of what I wanted at the time- it seemed more DAC first and amp second.

Listening to the HDV 820 for the first time, I will never forget how floored I was with everything I was hearing. The richness, the lower-end extension I was getting was unheard of for me on this headphone; miles ahead of what the Valhalla 2 could do IMO. With that, I relegated the 6XX to the Valhalla 2/Bifrost 2 stack, and used the HD800S exclusively with HDV 820.

Enter - curiosity killed the cat. Now that I love the HDV 820 amp, I started wondering about how to maximize my rig, which ended up being an exercise in Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Will the 6XX sound great out the HDV 820 using a balanced cable? What if we upgraded the USB cable? Upgrading Bifrost 2 to Gungnir Multibit? How about trying out a few pairs of XLR cables to run the Bifrost 2 into the HDV 820? Turns out I did really like the 6XX via XLR into the HDV 820, enough to sell Valhalla 2 and a couple other pieces of not-used-anymore gear to fund more cable buying. All the new cables I got did end up keeping make a noticeable difference to me, but...looking back I can't help but ask myself - have I completely missed the point of the HDV 820? Isn't the whole point of this unit is to be a cohesive experience, from start to finish, with the HDV 820 and 800S combo achieving what Sennheiser found to be the "perfect synergy"? Have I ruined that? Maybe, but if ruining that is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

All in all, I find that the music I listen to has never, ever sounded better with this setup. I know better from other hobbies about the whole "endgame is a myth" thing, but with the exception of a US version of the Luxman P-750u MKII (which as far as I know isn't going to happen), I can't say I'm very interested in anything else headphone amp wise at the moment. At this point I plan on looking for more music not available on streaming services instead and filling out more of my CD collection, maybe start taking trips to concerts or something.

A few things I wanted to mention specifically about the HDV 820 itself:
  • Overall I prefer using my Bifrost to the onboard DAC of the HDV 820, but it's really just that, a preference, especially over USB. Even after spending tons on cables and soon-to-be upgrading the Bifrost, I am sure it will almost certainly be still preference rather than it actually being better. I also wouldn't shrug if anyone wanted to use the USB only for the HDV 820. Might recommend a USB cable that splits the signal and 5V lines for more isolation since as far as I know there is no galvanic isolation on the USB of HDV 820.
  • I only briefly explored the DSD capabilities of the HDV 820, so little so I left it out of my impressions. Nice to have, though I am OK with PCM-only DACs and playing CDs. Might be a good tool to have if I ever get curious about DSD again. The few tracks I tried didn't seem all that great, but limited time spent so I may have done it wrong.
  • I dislike the coax input quite a bit. Really made music listening un-enjoyable. Switching back to the Bifrost was a big improvement. Haven't bothered with optical on either DAC.
  • That 6.3mm/3-pin XLR jack on the front...I think I dislike this more than the coax input. I look at it now as a courtesy input but really, the XLR and pentaconn sockets should only be used. SE out performance has got to be better on nearly every other amp I've ever used.

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #158 of 163
I noticed the pairing with the LCD-4 was actually quite good since this amp caters to higher impedance Senns and it has a high output impedance. It actually worked quite well with my HEK V1s as well. I guess planars don't really care what the output impedance of an amp is but I agree 4 pin XLR is the way to go with this thing. I actually really liked the coax output of it myself.

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #159 of 163
I noticed the pairing with the LCD-4 was actually quite good since this amp caters to higher impedance Senns and it has a high output impedance. It actually worked quite well with my HEK V1s as well. I guess planars don't really care what the output impedance of an amp is but I agree 4 pin XLR is the way to go with this thing. I actually really liked the coax output of it myself.
Glad to hear that, looking for an LCD-4 after I just took delivery of a new 2022 LCD-3

:p

I was considering selling this AMP, if I do before I get the LCD-4 it will mostly pay for that, but if not then I will probably end up keeping it, hoping for the later.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #160 of 163
Glad to here that, looking for an LCD-4 after I just took delivery of a new 2022 LCD-3

:p

I was considering selling this AMP, if I do before I get the LCD-4 it will mostly pay for that, but if not then I will probably end up keeping it, hoping for the later.
Something about this amp helps out the liquid mids of the LCD-4 but is quite neutral on bass. So it’s a refined sound but not particularly dynamic. If only the V281 was still being sold lol

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #161 of 163
Something about this amp helps out the liquid mids of the LCD-4 but is quite neutral on bass. So it’s a refined sound but not particularly dynamic. If only the V281 was still being sold lol
Agree with you but most of my stuff isn't dynamic and focuses on smooooth presentation so for me this is as dynamic as I like it :p, nice change from the Oppo HA-1. I really do love this thing and want to keep it but I just didn't want to spend another 2K+ after I got the LCD-3 :p

I will say though I like Sennheiser as a company and although I did want the LCD-4 and it kicked the OG 1266 out of the drawing despite it's price simply because no warranty, I ended up going with LCD-4 because of Audeze, and looking at depreciation of the 1266 as well as their repair costs, no hate to Abyss but selling the Diana as high as they do and putting such a wall on the big boy, which for people like me is the only choice.... can't do it! and then knowing the Susvara just isn't my style(and that much $$$$), I always wanted the one with most slam, so I really did want the LCD-4 most... Just readied to spend that much money after having such a good experience with the LCD-3 I guess and realizing I am happy sacrificing a little tiny bit of performance for what I like most was the right choice :p

How long have you had your LCD-4?

Feb 28, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #162 of 163
Agree with you but most of my stuff isn't dynamic and focuses on smooooth presentation so for me this is as dynamic as I like it :p, nice change from the Oppo HA-1. I really do love this thing and want to keep it but I just didn't want to spend another 2K+ after I got the LCD-3 :p

I will say though I like Sennheiser as a company and although I did want the LCD-4 and it kicked the OG 1266 out of the drawing despite it's price simply because no warranty, I ended up going with LCD-4 because of Audeze, and looking at depreciation of the 1266 as well as their repair costs, no hate to Abyss but selling the Diana as high as they do and putting such a wall on the big boy, which for people like me is the only choice.... can't do it! and then knowing the Susvara just isn't my style(and that much $$$$), I always wanted the one with most slam, so I really did want the LCD-4 most... Just readied to spend that much money after having such a good experience with the LCD-3 I guess and realizing I am happy sacrificing a little tiny bit of performance for what I like most was the right choice :p

How long have you had your LCD-4?
I’ve had it for a few months. It’s honestly my end game. I’ve always liked Audezes stuff. A lot of people complain about the weight being an issue but I never had a problem. They’re really nicely detailed and a step up from the 3s without being pushed in your face like Abyss stuff.

Feb 28, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #163 of 163
I’ve had it for a few months. It’s honestly my end game. I’ve always liked Audezes stuff. A lot of people complain about the weight being an issue but I never had a problem. They’re really nicely detailed and a step up from the 3s without being pushed in your face like Abyss stuff.
Yeah that's one thing I figured out.... Actually it took me arguing with crinacles DT1990 rating and seeing his Abyss rating vs everyone else saying is competed with Susvara... I think Crinacle is very good, he understand this stuff more deeply that headphone guys, sometimes it translates to bad ratings like Elegia, I also think the DT1990 is rated low, and probably the Abyss but in IEM's it very easy to get that sort of "exaggerated detail" by putting it in your face, the DT1990 does that which is ultimately why I kept Elegia and HD800 and sold it and I think the 1266 does it too like you said, he happens to rate it very lowly on technical performance and I think he is maybe half right there, meaning the LCD-4 is still at that level and not below it, maybe even a knotch above it, although people who listen will still consider it as mind-blowing technical performance, they of course wouldn't say such a thing about the DT1990; like say it competes with Clear though...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back