SENNHEISER HD880............
Mar 27, 2008 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ZARIM

IP address matches SNOOP_DOGG and HFAUDIOPHILE.
Hi, check Cnet.com for more info(is it real or what?).....
"The vibe at the Bayside, New York, event was relaxed as I sampled the mind-expanding sounds of Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, and Stax headphones, driven by awesome headphone amplifiers, some of which were commercial products. Some were one-offs, built by their proud owners.

A few of the amps were portables, and the standout was the superslim MiniBox D ($79) from Head-Direct. This little thing pumps up the power of iPods with amazing gusto, and while listening to Head-Direct's Yuin PK2 earbuds ($79), the sound was remarkably un-headphone-like (more like listening to speakers). Bass was deep, rich, and weighty.

The catch: these headphones, plugged directly into an iPod, won't play at all loud; you really need to use the Yuin earbuds with the MiniBox D to get the full effect.

The MiniBox D headphone amplifier

(Credit: Steve Guttenberg)I next listened to a set of Sennheiser HD880 headphones over a Shanling PH3000 amp ($400). This combo's dynamic range, impact, and resolution of fine detail blew my mind. Truly amazing.

I was totally wowed by Woo Audio's vacuum tube headphone amplifiers. First of all, they look amazing, the quality of the machined metal chassis is extraordinary (it's made for Woo in China, but the internal construction is handled here in New York).

Instead of the usual printed circuit boards, Woo hand-wires each unit; it's a labor-intensive process, but it yields the best sound quality. And since the amps are hand-built, they can be custom-ordered with all sorts of parts upgrades. I spoke with Jack Woo, and he explained that his company does that sort of thing all the time. It can build one-off designs, and yet the prices are solidly in the affordable range.

The Woo all-tube amp delivers bona fide high-end sound for a real-world price!

(Credit: Woo Audio)I played my own CDs over Woo's $570 WA6 all-tube headphone amp while listening to a Grado headphone not so different from my Grado RS-1 'phones.

It was almost magical the way the Woo WA6 made every recording sound better than I thought it was. There was a satisfying "wholeness" to the sound, voices were so much more natural, flesh and blood human, and the bass definition was truly exceptional. Treble detail was sweet, delicate, and clear as can be.

The fact that Woo can offer artisan craftsmanship at prices competitive with the plastic, disposable tech sold at chain stores and Web sites is icing on the cake. For about a grand, you could pick up one of Woo's amps and AKG's stellar K 701 headphones.

Head-Fi has meets in cities all over the country. Check its Web site to see when it'll have one near you. I had a blast."

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 26
My first guess would be Sennheiser HD580 and my second guess would be Beyerdynamic DT880. Clearly a typo by someone who is not a headphone nut as such, but very much an audiophile who enjoyed his day hanging out with the Head-Fi geeks (a proud badge to wear, so no disrespect to those who resemble that remark).

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In all fairness to Steve, who is new to audiophile headphones, it was Warrior05's Beyerheiser HD880's. How many people would know of them...even here.
A modded pair with a Sennheiser headband and Beyer drivers.

A mutt, so to speak
smily_headphones1.gif

S2%20Audio%20racks.jpg

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 26
Yeah, that's what we get for not teaching the guy properly and censoring his article before it got published.
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 26
Hey, I think I was reasonably close on that call, but who would have expected a mutant of all things?!?!

Mar 27, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 26
Certainly can't blame Steve Guttenberg for the miscue. "Sennheiser" is still on the headband and I went as far as making an "HD 880" label for the little buttons that are part of the original HD590 design. I would love to redo the headband so it reads "Beyerheiser" but haven't come up with a way to make it look professional. I built those about a year ago and they are my most successful frankenphone. Took a bit of doing to retrofit the 880 drivers into the chassis but boy was it worth it!
biggrin.gif
Very musical sounding headphones with a very open sound. Lots of detail and wonderful bass and extend pretty high with zero harshness or sibilance. And with the well known comfort factor of the HD590 chassis you can easily listen to them for hours on end. They just disappear when you put them on.

I bring them to the meets but they don't get too much attention since most think it is an old pair of Sennheisers painted up. Little do they know.
cool.gif

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, it is a K701 painted black. The "Dark Knight" according to scott.
biggrin.gif

Ding ding ding! Give that man a kewpie doll! Yup, those are the Dark Knight. It was a restoration project on a botched recable job so I got them for relatively little. Since I had them entirely apart, I figured why not paint them? It was a pain but well worth it.

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #11 of 26
Mar 27, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 26
What is even funnier is that it isn't the Shanling PH3000. It is their solid state PH100! Notice the 3000 has 2 SE jacks, mine has one. It really is the only visual clue since obviously the cases are the same. I wonder if I was able to imprint "Beyerheiser" on the headband he would have run with it and now everyone will be wondering who's the new headphone company.
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is even funnier is that it isn't the Shanling PH3000. It is their solid state PH100! Notice the 3000 has 2 SE jacks, mine has one. It really is the only visual clue since obviously the cases are the same. I wonder if I was able to imprint "Beyerheiser" on the headband he would have run with it and now everyone will be wondering who's the new headphone company.
biggrin.gif

See if Fatman 117 can make you a leather headband with 'Beyerheiser' stitched into it that will fit over the headband!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back